The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 30 of 30

User Info Menu

Here's a pretty good deal on a solid top classical, case, and extras: * ELDERLY INSTRUMENTS CLASSICAL GUITAR OUTFIT - Elderly Instruments

Have fun on making your final decison!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by I_88
    P.s. so I can see all the options I have, do Ibanez archtops sound good acoustically?
    That's pretty subjective. Fingers or pick? Compared to what? Not as loud as a dreadnaught, IMO. It will be somewhat quiet fingerstyle. I don't think anyone can answer your question but you. I would call all the music stores in your area and try one out, even if new. That's really the only way you will know. OTOH, a used Ibanez arch top will also be electric so that really changes the picture. I have four archtops, 2 inexpensive and 2 relatively pricy. While the laminates sound fine acoustically to me, there is no comparison between them and my fully carved instruments fingerstyle (I don't use a pick). All sound good (but different) plugged in. You really have to try it out for yourself. Just my opinion.

User Info Menu

Ibanez archtop owner here! The guitar is loud enough to be heard through the walls in my home, and I usually don't plug in when practicing here. I think the acoustic sound is excellent(relative to my use!), and if plugged in, delivers a smooth jazz tone comparable to Benson guitars (which are also laminate-top Ibanez archtops ). Like the poster above said, though, carved tops are much, much louder.

This is a sort of guitar I will recommend infinitely...! I use this rather than my '63 maton or '69 Tele thinline

Also, I have had a lot of steel string flat tops, but got rid of them all (except a fender 12-string) to be replaced with nylon.. Flat top acoustics just don't sound good in jazz (imho), and nylon is appropriate for fingerstyle, fusion and traditional jazz

My 2 cents vol. 2

Thanks alot to all who shared me their opinions and experience. I bought a Yamaha classical guitar today. Had to made a quick decision, aching to play again! I guess alot of technique stuff is there to do on my classical, along with my jazz studies

Best wishes

User Info Menu

Good luck with it, hope all goes well