The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

I have been following the Tele discussions with interest, above all the Squier CV model. What gauge strings do you string yur guitars, you that have Teles? They are strung with 09s, but will the saddle adjust to 11s or even 12s? How do teles like flat strings? Thank you, 0zoro

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I play mine with flat 14s so you'll be fine. You probably need the nut cut though.

User Info Menu

I play flat 11s on my Mexican tele. Works great with just a minor truss rod tweak. I love the sound and feel.

User Info Menu

I think I have 11s, they are half round, D'Addario. Squier Tele MIJ E6...

User Info Menu

On my two teles (both Nash teles) I have one strung with DR Pure Blues 11s and the other guitar with Thomastic Flatwound 10s. The first guitar has a Lollar single coil pickup in the neck position and the second one has a Lollar Low Wind Imperial humbucker in the neck position. Both guitars sound great- although the flatwounds are more mellow sounding.

User Info Menu

I thank you above for your feedback! I have, as I said become increasingly interested in a Tele, and I going to look at Squiers. The thing that impeeds me in part is the seemingly enormous variety of models and mics which is a hinderence as I dont want to have to try all of them for a sound check, and would tire and give up if the first three were for metla or punk.

I judge from the above that I would not have any porblems stringing with 11´s or 12´s, as even 14´s seem to work which is encourageing.

User Info Menu

I use 12 gauge flatwounds. Teles LOVE flatwounds.

12's were light strings when the tele was invented, and the telecaster is largely unchanged since it's inception.

User Info Menu

Tele's can handle most any strings because they don't have that vibrato of a strat. Strat can be a juggling act to get setup for heavy strings. On my tele's I have roundwound 12's If you wanted heavier I would look for a top-loader tele they have less tension than the string-thru.

User Info Menu

I thank you above for your feedback! I have, as I said become increasingly interested in a Tele, and I going to look at Squiers. The thing that impeeds me in part is the seemingly enormous variety of models and mics which is a hinderence as I dont want to have to try all of them for a sound check, and would tire and give up if the first three were for metla or punk.

I judge from the above that I would not have any porblems stringing with 11´s or 12´s, as even 14´s seem to work which is encourageing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Tele's can handle most any strings because they don't have that vibrato of a strat. Strat can be a juggling act to get setup for heavy strings.
    Yes, unless one blocks the tremolo which is the thing to do if one doesn't use it anyway. But I still like my Warmoth partscaster (with Strat shaped body) with strings-through-body better than my Fender Strat. The partscaster stays in tune forever. BTW, I have LaBella 15-56 flats on it at the moment. Works nicely.

User Info Menu

If you have somebody who can do some wiring/soldering and you yourself can use a screwdriver and a few other hand tools, you really can build the ULTIMATE strat or tele for around 1k. Good times we live in.

User Info Menu

I'm using Newtone Archtop strings, 12's nickel rounds. I think the rounds compensate a little for the lack of hollowness.

User Info Menu

I had .012 roundwounds on mine but found a weird overtone; 5th fret G string. Then I put on D'Addario .012 flatwounds and the overtone disappeared. The tension of the D'Addario flatwounds pull the neck in such a way that the truss rod works well against it resulting in very little relief on the fingerboard. I put on some 0.12 Thomastik flatwounds and the Tele didn't like them as they are a lower tension and the fret buzz was noticeable.

You say you are liking the Squier CV Tele, they have a humbucker route for the neck position so you have plenty of pickup choices. Keep the original styled bridge pickup as that is what the Tele is all about.

User Info Menu

For my own purposes, on my Mexi Tele I use D'Addario roundwound 11's with a plain 3rd. I've used all the way up to a 16 on the high E before, but I've since found that the amount of articulation I can pull from 11's and the plain 3rd is just right for me With 11's I can really bend the strings around where I want them and I can use neck and behind the nut bends. 12's or flats just inhibit that level of control for me. I also use 11's on my Strat, but for that I use a floating trem and do most of my articulation work with the trem bar.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your input!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    Yes, unless one blocks the tremolo which is the thing to do if one doesn't use it anyway. But I still like my Warmoth partscaster (with Strat shaped body) with strings-through-body better than my Fender Strat. The partscaster stays in tune forever. BTW, I have LaBella 15-56 flats on it at the moment. Works nicely.

Does the Tele have to be set up specifically for this kind of tension?

User Info Menu

I would think some nut work would be necessary.

Step up gradually on a tele. It's not an acoustic...the law of diminishing returns kicks in quickly after 12's or so.

User Info Menu

I pay jazz and punk. Use D'adarrio 10-46 half rounds, perfect! 11-49's are nice as well. If you pick a middle of the road tele like the sguier CV you can cover most stuff and then mod later. Moding is half the fun, enjoy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I would think some nut work would be necessary.

Step up gradually on a tele. It's not an acoustic...the law of diminishing returns kicks in quickly after 12's or so.

Thanks,

I actually jumped the gun and had the nut set up for a set of 13-56s. I strung it yesterday, played all night. G string snapped at the tuner today when tuning up. What gives?

The 13s sounded alright, but a little "thick" for me, with all the sustain on the Tele. I think there's height at the nut for an adjustment..
    Last edited by p1p; 12-09-2015 at 11:36 PM.

User Info Menu

It's not an acoustic...the law of diminishing returns kicks in quickly after 12's or so.
    I agree except for one thing. The reason I use LaBella 15-56 flatwounds on electric guitars is primarily that the two top unwound strings (15 and 19) are less twangy (fewer overtones) than thinner strings. Thus they are more in balance tone wise with the four lower flatwound strings. I believe that's also the reason why some people (me too before I switched to La Bella 15-56) replace those two top strings of their stock strings set with a heavier gauge. As a beneficial side effect, they last for ever, even the unwound B and E strings. If it hadn't been for that better tone balance across the set, I had used TI Swing 13-53 or D'A Chromes 12-52.

User Info Menu

I agree except for one thing. The reason I use LaBella 15-56 flatwounds on electric guitars is primarily that the two top unwound strings (15 and 19) are less twangy (fewer overtones) than thinner strings. Thus they are more in balance tone wise with the four lower flatwound strings. I believe that's also the reason why some people (me too before I switched to La Bella 15-56) replace those two top strings of their stock strings set with a heavier gauge. As a beneficial side effect, they last for ever, even the unwound B and E strings. If it hadn't been for that better tone balance across the set, I had used TI Swing 13-53 or D'A Chromes 12-52.

No, I get that totally and agree, and I do that on my 24.75" scale guitars (less drastically so, perhaps, I just go up one gauge)

For me, it's mostly about feel. I don't like a guitar that's difficult to play, but I also don't like those treble strings moving around on me, I like 'em to feel pretty tight.

User Info Menu

No, I get that totally and agree, and I do that on my 24.75" scale guitars (less drastically so, perhaps, I just go up one gauge)

For me, it's mostly about feel. I don't like a guitar that's difficult to play, but I also don't like those treble strings moving around on me, I like 'em to feel pretty tight.

My guitars/string gauge are also set up according to scale length. The minute the high strings feel too bendy for me, I naturally want to play more Hendrix-esque...

User Info Menu

thats interesting oldane

I'm using TI swing 13 at the moment
    but I too want more meat on the top E

I guess the tension will be a bit higher
    throughout the set ....
    I'm on a 24.75" ibanez jazz box
    do the La Bella flat wounds sound as smooth as the TI ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    thats interesting oldane

I'm using TI swing 13 at the moment
    but I too want more meat on the top E

I guess the tension will be a bit higher
    throughout the set ....
    I'm on a 24.75" ibanez jazz box
    do the La Bella flat wounds sound as smooth as the TI ?
    I don't exactly know what you mean by the word "smooth", but yes they sound smooth, but that's just as much because I use a pretty high action, so there is no slap and buzz. Whatever, TI Swing is nickel while LaBella is stainless steel, but the LaBellas are not as twangy as D'A Chromes (when new). They are somewhere in between the two. I like the sound of new TI Swings but I feel that they go too dead too fast for my taste. LaBella lasts very long. After the initial "mellowing" they sound the same for months on end. I think I have had the present set on my Painter for more than a year by now. The TI Swing 13-53 set is rather "soft" (tension largely equivalent to D'A Chromes 12-52), so stepping up to LaBella 15-56 can definitely be felt and an adjustment of the truss rod may be necessary to remove excess relief. The greater tension allows for lowering the action (done at the bridge after the truss rod adjustment), so it's not something any normal individual can't get used to in a short time. The fretting force doesn't have to be much higher than with the TI set, but it's a different feel - the string is pressed a shorter distance when fretting but the feel is more rigid. Don't try to bend the high B and E strings a major third, though, or you'll get blood on your guitar. ;-)

For a start you could try to replace the two unwound top strings on the TI set with 14 and 18 (instead of the stock 13 and 17) to see if it brings you closer to what you want to hear. You may have a hard time finding induvidual strings from TI, but any string will work. D'A are readily available everywhere and as they are steel and unwound they sound the same irrespective of brand.
    Last edited by oldane; 12-11-2015 at 08:13 AM.