The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Guys sorry if I was harsh yesterday but the "pure sound police" on this forum follows the "a lie told often enough becomes the truth" strategy and that can be enervating as hell. And of course when confronted they never reply... I would still love to know what eq pedals gave noise and artificial sound to docbop (I guess he had his Henriksen's graphic eq removed).

I will say this one more time - hundreds of gigs with eq pedals, no noise or artificial sounds. Almost every recording you'll hear will have that kind of processing....

@feet and kris - I get that and if you like your sound with no eqs well... don't use them I am not saying you have to use one, just no harm done if you do it

@spook - I use parametrics with both my archtop / mambo and with my acoustics trough the PA. In my modelling rig I even use a low cut filter and some more stuff I don't recall plus the Barb EQ tone controls. My favorite sound these days.

--

A side note on the Zoom. For years I searched for a good parametric eq - the Empress is too expensive so a friend made me one a custom one that had some problems... I remember the Nova System having one but too big and expensive. So I found about the Zoom G3 and I thought well even if it's just for the tuner and the parametric eq the price is good and maybe I can use it for delays, reverbs and modelling. I was shocked.. this things are MUCH better than they used to be. I can hardly hear the difference for my pedalboard... I have since traded it for the MS50G which is the same thing in pedal format. The only two downsides are 1) cab emulations are poor although the twin reverb preamp emulation is quite good 2) overdrives are so so. Next step will be the MS100BT which has better delay, reverbs and overdrives (63 spring, carbon delay, sweet drive, rc booster and fulltone ocd emulations, etc...).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I will say this one more time - hundreds of gigs with eq pedals, no noise or artificial sounds. Almost every recording you'll hear will have that kind of processing....

@feet and kris - I get that and if you like your sound with no eqs well... don't use them I am not saying you have to use one, just no harm done if you do it
    i don't mean to knock the process. it makes so much sense for a more straightfoward player like yourself to have an eq. i mainly record or play at home these days, so i don't need to make on the fly adjustments or fight a soundguy like before. and since i generally run so many boosts and drives in my chain (as you probably don't), i get enough tone shaping from those to largely mitigate the need for an eq pedal. probably should have mentioned that earlier.

such as the rc booster is (sort of) an eq, i didn't like it any more or less in front of an electric or floating acoustic guitar. i might set it a little differently, but i would for switching between any two dissimilar guitars. though i do see the value of cutting out feedbacking frequencies if you are playing a hollowbody.

apropos of little, i always get a little curious about the current pedal sized multi-fx whiz bang boxes that are out now, like the zooms jorge brings up from time to time. don't really really really need them, but there are lot of sales in the coming week, too...

and here's what pgs had to say on the matter this week: The Best EQ Pedals | Tone Report - nice to see we covered most of those already.

User Info Menu

My comments were not at all directed to you feet

I actually love the RC. it works wonders for me with archtops and acoustics (but not very useful with a Polytone imo).

With archtops I mainly do a large boost 400hz with a large q (fattens the sound) and a large cut with a smallq on the 800hz (ice pick area to my ears). The amount of the first boost will be bigger if using a blackface than if using a "jazz amp", because they are more mid scooped. Bass and treble adjusted on the amp.

Think of the Zooms as a sort of expensive tuner. All the rest is bonus

I had read that article, nice one although I am always a little suspicious of selling and reviewing at the same time... The WMD seems nice but no "scale" for the band makes it impossible to use for me. The EQD Tone Job also makes me curious, they make excellent pedals - I have a similar one, Fromel Shape EQ to which I added a OPA2134 boost and it's an amazing eq pedal. Can be used as "amp in a box" or just an eq because it's flat. The Source Audio seems interesting because of presets but since I don't need presets and don't really like graphic eqs never tried one.

User Info Menu

I like the simplicity of guitar, cable, amp. I dont think its the best, I just like it.

I did had the fromel for awhile and it is excellent. If I remember well, you had great control on the mids (which I found was what I was looking for). After the fromel I went to a rc booster which great but still not what I was after but it got replaced by a pedal called "les lius" which is a sort of tweed deluxe circuit in a box. Its funny how it does what I wanted from an EQ. I love it! (but still dont carry it) I use it a very small doses ant I can go from a little thicker to hairy on stab chords. But that is just for some fun at home. Even home its mostly G+C+A.

User Info Menu

Hi
    The empress para EQ is greate. It has high quality parts and dead silent. I have it in My gigbag always. My polytone died on me so i decided to get a Kemper. I use the para EQ on that all the time aswell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmiz
    Hi
    The empress para EQ is greate. It has high quality parts and dead silent. I have it in My gigbag always. My polytone died on me so i decided to get a Kemper. I use the para EQ on that all the time aswell.

Interested in selling the polytone if you still have it? Pm me if you are. Thanks

User Info Menu

I have the MXR 10 band EQ and found that like almost every pedal it affects the tone whether it's turned on or off. Lately I have been using the Baggs Para DI with really good results- more transparent and well placed EQ centers for my guitar and amp combination (carvetop with modified Classic 57 floater and a tweed Deluxe head running into an RE 12"). I can roll the top down without the bottom getting muddy and can roll off the bottom without the top getting harsh. There's an adjustable notch filter than I can use to tame the wolf tone I get at Bb on the 6th string on my guitar.

User Info Menu

Hi

doesn't the Kemper have a built in eq? Are you using a polytone profile there? And are you satisfied with the result?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    Interested in selling the polytone if you still have it? Pm me if you are. Thanks
    Sorry, im keeping it. It needs a LOT of work , a New cab among other things �� .

i ment that i bring the empress with me to jams and stuff because it can make almost any amp work. The empress is very transparent. It does not colour the sound if the gain is ballanced out and the filters are @0. Its more like a studio unit and not like a ordinary guitar EQ pedal,

Yes i use the para EQ inside the kemper. It has 4 diffrent EQ s. The kemper is greate acctualy I dont use polytone profiles but i have Some that is good. I use a toneking galaxy that sounds very good.
    /H

User Info Menu

Sorry, im keeping it. It needs a LOT of work , a New cab among other things �� .

i ment that i bring the empress with me to jams and stuff because it can make almost any amp work. The empress is very transparent. It does not colour the sound if the gain is ballanced out and the filters are @0. Its more like a studio unit and not like a ordinary guitar EQ pedal,

Yes i use the para EQ inside the kemper. It has 4 diffrent EQ s. The kemper is greate acctualy I dont use polytone profiles but i have Some that is good. I use a toneking galaxy that sounds very good.
    /H

When you get the polytone back up and running, try using the eq to boost the "sparkle/air" range on the high end (around 8-10k or above, don't be afraid to boost 8 or 10 db) that is missing on the polytone, cut the kids just a little bit, and boost the low end a touch. This will simulate a more Fender'ish tone stack. Makes for a great clean tone different from the typical dark polytone sound. Also you can boost the input quite a bit which will make your polytone much louder.

Good luck!!!

p.s. this works on the old polytones, I have no clue about newer models.