DS-4 Walnut # 32114 - New Vintage Guitars

Slaman Guitars Barney Kessel Project.-image-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    Dunno. I'd probably go for this:

It's nice . . very nice. But, I just can't get past those 3 big screws under the strings dead smack in the middle of the sound board. I'm totally ingnorant of why they did it this way. Is there something under the top that needs to be held by those screws? Did they just not want to put a pickup mounting ring on the pup? Wish I had a chance to look inside one of these with a mirror.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    It's nice . . very nice. But, I just can't get past those 3 big screws under the strings dead smack in the middle of the sound board. I'm totally ingnorant of why they did it this way. Is there something under the top that needs to be held by those screws? Did they just not want to put a pickup mounting ring on the pup? Wish I had a chance to look inside one of these with a mirror.
    I think the two long flat plates are part of the magnet structure. But I'm not absolutely sure.

Slaman Guitars Barney Kessel Project.-cc-pickup-jpg

User Info Menu

Dunno. I'd probably go for this:

But please don't call it Shrinky...

User Info Menu

Getting dizzy here. The walnut is just stunning, as is the rest of it. Oh man, what a guitar! Never seen that adjustable CC. Is that something new from Lollar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I think the two long flat plates are part of the magnet structure. But I'm not absolutely sure.

Yep. Those bars are the old cobalt magnets.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Oh, snap. The Wildwood L-5CC is a guitar that I will have to figure out a way to own, at some point. I wish I didn't see that. It is beautiful.
    Then you should have seen the mint used Super 400CC Natural over at Dave's Guitars in 2011. 18" of Blondie. $8000. It was sold to Tom Gould of Great Guitars as part of a trade deal. (I bought the ES-5 Switchmaster that was part of that deal.) Tom Gould priced it at $10 450.00. The person who bought it, a NJ/NY collector, subsequently put it up on ebay for $15 000.00.

Greentone, you've forgotten more than I will ever know but a word to the wise: please don't pay sticker...

User Info Menu

Probably MAP. $3400 more than a standard CES in natural. That CC is a very expensive pup!

User Info Menu

The cheapskate solution:
    I'd just install a full-sized CC and controls into the top of a beater '50s L-7C.
    Plenty of them have laminated backs, and I'd be willing to live with a carved instead of laminated top.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ren
    Probably MAP. $3400 more than a standard CES in natural. That CC is a very expensive pup!
    Take one of these CC Pickups - Pickups , buy a nice used L-5CES Wes Montgomery for $4500 to $5000 from any year except 2012 (because used 2012s want to sell themselves for $6200 each; its the Mayan Ragnorak Edition), pay a luthier to install it for $500. An L-5CC for about $6000.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-18-2014 at 09:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Hammer beat me to it. Scary, Hammer, we have equal great mindz.

User Info Menu

Why is everyone gassing on this pick-up?

I'm just gonna speak my mind here so bare with me.

It doesn't sound that great, its a monster and involves some serious guitar butchering. Not to mention the loss of tone and resonance plus the added weight.

There are many many pickups out there, that can get close too or better than, so why this obsession? Is it not going back to that 'desirability + mystical' thing.

I mean how many of you have heard one and thought, thats the best pickup by such a way, I'm willing to butcher my guitar for it and still not be sure of the result afterwards.
    Last edited by Archie; 11-18-2014 at 10:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopheaven

i mean how many of you have heard one and thought, thats the best pickup by such a way, i'm willing to butcher my guitar for it and still not be sure of the result afterwards.
    Slaman Guitars Barney Kessel Project.-img_6923-jpeg Me. I did .
    Last edited by pubylakeg; 11-18-2014 at 11:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter
    Getting dizzy here. The walnut is just stunning, as is the rest of it. Oh man, what a guitar! Never seen that adjustable CC. Is that something new from Lollar?
    Slaman guitars in conjunction with Dirk Van Der Meij have developed the compensated and adjustable CC type pickup

Charlie Christian Pickups - New Vintage Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven

I mean how many of you have heard one and thought, thats the best pickup by such a way, I'm willing to butcher my guitar for it and still not be sure of the result afterwards.
    Hank Garland, Kenny Burrell, Barney Kessel and Tal Farlow too.
    Last edited by pubylakeg; 11-18-2014 at 11:15 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Slaman guitars in conjunction with Dirk Van Der Meij have developed the compensated and adjustable CC type pickup

Charlie Christian Pickups - New Vintage Guitars
    Puby La Keg, do you have any details please? Do Daniel Slaman and Dirk Van der Meij wind them with 38AWG gauge wire? What kind of magnet is used in its construction? AlNiCo 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 or Neodymium? I gather from this that Daniel is no longer using CC UK pickups.

The beauty of a CC pickup comes from driving an octal-based flea-watt valve amp or a Fender Tweed style amp with AlNiCo speakers. It sounds best with a bit of hair on the fat warm "clean" tone i.e. a touch of distortion. It doesn't acquit itself well in a totally clean amp. David Barnes' Vintage 47, Supro, Fender Tweed style, Vox ACs, SeQuel Ravine/Tribute/Tributary, overdriven Fender Princeton Reverb...

If you have an old valve driven radio and patch the CC pickup into that, it is a little bit of magic, I suspect. Hope to test out the hypothesis when I find one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Puby La Keg, do you have any details please? Do Daniel Slaman and Dirk Van der Meij wind them with 38AWG gauge wire? What kind of magnet is used in its construction? AlNiCo 2, 3, 4, 5, 8 or Neodymium? I gather from this that Daniel is no longer using CC UK pickups.

The beauty of a CC pickup comes from driving an octal-based flea-watt valve amp or a Fender Tweed style amp with AlNiCo speakers. It sounds best with a bit of hair on the fat warm "clean" tone i.e. a touch of distortion. It doesn't acquit itself well in a totally clean amp. David Barnes' Vintage 47, Supro, Fender Tweed style, Vox ACs, SeQuel Ravine/Tribute/Tributary, overdriven Fender Princeton Reverb...

If you have an old valve driven radio and patch the CC pickup into that, it is a little bit of magic, I suspect. Hope to test out the hypothesis when I find one.
    Yeh I should have told Pub that I was being rhetorical. What I really wanted was answers like yours.

My bad pub, cheers Jab

I guess me and this pick-up were never meant to be, since I can't stand Fender Tweed types. Plus If I wanted distortion, I wouldn't be playing a hollow guitar. Not my kind of sound.

I really like the old Guild pups though and the RC's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound

In the original, they are.

I can't tell by the picture alone if that's the case in this replica.

User Info Menu

That's a lovely looking L-5CC but it weighs 8.3 lbs.! Might as well play a Les Paul.
    I know you were joking, but it's worth remembering that this particular style of pickup weighs a ton and accounts for more of the overall weight than a typical P-90 or humbucker. And 8.3 pounds is light for a Les Paul!

User Info Menu

Those are the two cobalt magnets.

User Info Menu

I have gigged with a '37 ES150. It is the best sounding electric ever...through any amp. I was using a Polytone in those days. No hair/grit. The pickup is amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Those are the two cobalt magnets.
    Barney Kessel when asked about his ES-350 famously said that the pickup was made out of a metal that was "no longer found on this earth".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Thanks for your comments and interest. Sorry, but I feel I would have to defer any queries regarding construction or sources direct to Mr Slaman.

daniel@slamanguitars.com

Ps. My photo is my own, UK made, CCpickup, made by Colin Cosimini.

No affiliation to either.

User Info Menu

I can't comment on the post war CC pickups, as I haven't tried them [I did play a 70's ES-175 CC once and a 60s Johnny Smith that had one that didn't impress me] but to my ears, the original prewar 150 and 250 CC pickups are the best sounding pickups ever. Only a really good PAF or Pat # is as good, and is kind of an apples/oranges thing anyway [single coil vs humbucker]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Why is everyone gassing on this pick-up?

I'm just gonna speak my mind here so bare with me.

It doesn't sound that great, its a monster and involves some serious guitar butchering. Not to mention the loss of tone and resonance plus the added weight.

There are many many pickups out there, that can get close too or better than, so why this obsession? Is it not going back to that 'desirability + mystical' thing.

I have to agree with you. I happen to have an original 1938 CC pickup (the one with the notch under the B string) retrofitted to an old 1934 L37. It's funnier to own that to use. The sound as such is great, but there are some shortcomings. It picks up noise like no other PU I know of. It is unbalanced in that the low E-string is unproportionately loud (that may be my sample). The three mount screws in the top works themselves loose so the shims under the screw heads buzz. WIthout the shims, the screw heads will dig themselves into (and eventually through) the guitar top with time. I tend to se the original CC as a great sounding PU per se, but it's certainly not very practical in day to day use. My L37 with the CC is a museum piece more than anything else for me. For real world playing, I much prefer my Painter P-350 with a Vintage Vibe HCC (BTW, not unlike an ES350 in Kessel edition).