The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Well, I stopped by Artisan Guitars in Franklin, TN to see what was new as they always have some great guitars. The first thing I noticed was the Gibson Wes Paul. I have seen pics before and thought it was very unique so I couldn't pass up the opportunity to play it. Great neck and frets. Overall tone was pretty much a Les Paul Custom. Very cool vide to the guitar.

From Artisan website...
    Allegedly just two of these Custom Shop Wes Paul guitars were built for the 1998 NAMM show purely as a “show” item, they never went into full production. This guitar has a beautiful traditional tobacco sunburst finish. It an awesome guitar for a swing or dance band gig and superb to play, weighing in at only 7 lbs 4 oz.
    This Gibson Custom Shop "Wes Paul" Custom features a chambered hollow mahogany body, mahogany neck, spruce top with F holes, ebony board with M.O.P. inlays, L5 Headstock with MOP Flower Pot inlay, 335 type trapeze tailpiece with Callagham bridge, single volume/tone controls and single 57 classic p/u in the neck.
    1998 Gibson Custom Shop Wes Paul 1 of 2 ID-9208 | Artisan Guitars

Played a Gibson "Wes Paul" today...-_57-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Wow. I'd love to try one of those. Very cool.

User Info Menu

$6750 USED?????

User Info Menu

Who'lda thunk it?

User Info Menu

Nice but, IMHO, it looks like they only took it halfway. Now if they could put that guitar into production, at least mostly hollow (not "chambered"), but with a slightly wider body (still trying to keep the LP look but heading towards a 335/336 size)... that would be really cool.

Definitely interesting, though. Thanks!

User Info Menu

If they did a laminate top model (making it more like a "little" 175) and sold it for under 4k, I bet they could sell a bunch. Small archtops are in right now.

User Info Menu

I was excited until I saw that it was over 7 lbs. It made me feel like I was looking at a mirage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    If they did a laminate top model (making it more like a "little" 175) and sold it for under 4k, I bet they could sell a bunch. Small archtops are in right now.
    They could call it a ES 135 Custom??

User Info Menu

At 7 lbs 4 oz it weighs about the same as a full size L-5 WesMo (CES is a bit heavier). Really cool hybrid, though. Has to be chambered vs. fully hollow or it would have killer neck dive I imagine.

Just before I played the first notes I was really hoping that it would have a tone more toward a 335 or at least a little airy, but not really. Pretty much a great sounding Les Paul Custom. I want to say the one I saw on eBay a year or so ago was asking $8,000, but I could be wrong. I think that high value is due to its rarity. Happy to have had the opportunity to play a few notes. Very smooth playing neck!

User Info Menu

A dealer had one on Reverb, I think, last year for around six grand. I think they only made two of them for a NAMM. I want one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel
    A dealer had one on Reverb, I think, last year for around six grand. I think they only made two of them for a NAMM. I want one of them.
    Well, I know where you can get one...

Give them a call and make an offer. I bought a fabulous Heritage Golden Eagle from Artisan... saw it online, went to the store, made an offer and the deal was done. Well, after I whipped out the plastic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Z
    Well, I know where you can get one...

Give them a call and make an offer. I bought a fabulous Heritage Golden Eagle from Artisan... saw it online, went to the store, made an offer and the deal was done. Well, after I whipped out the plastic
    I'd have to sell the old ES 355 to fund that purchase. Since the market for the "Golden Era" Gibsons is weak right now, I'm keeping it and waiting for an upswing. If I live that long. Still, and all....

User Info Menu

Sweet.

Can't afford it.

User Info Menu

Is the Les Paul Supreme along those lines?
    At least for the chambered body and ebony fretboard (before they introduced Richlite)

User Info Menu

The colour is a matter of taste; this doesn't break the bank STORK-JAZZ/SUGIMOTO ATSUHIKO - SeventySeven Guitars Official Site .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_175
    Is the Les Paul Supreme along those lines?
    At least for the chambered body and ebony fretboard (before they introduced Richlite)
    Ops...I didn't notice the f-holes. The Supreme does not have f-holes!

User Info Menu

Isn't a Les Paul a 14" bout? 14" archtops are showing up these days be cool if Gibson did a production Wes Paul like guitar or a 14" 175-like. I like the small body archtops.

User Info Menu

Epiphone Ltd. Ed. Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO

If you can't afford such a Wes Paul, here is a low-budget alternative, which, BTW, is not half bad at all as a beater.

HTH,

User Info Menu

Looks cool but if I wanted a small single cut F hole hollowbody, I'd try the Godin Montreal Premiere. Plus it's under 7 lbs. and under $1500 new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    Isn't a Les Paul a 14" bout? 14" archtops are showing up these days be cool if Gibson did a production Wes Paul like guitar or a 14" 175-like. I like the small body archtops.
    They do make one like this, introduced at the 2014 Winter NAMM - the Gibson ES-Les Paul Semi-Hollow Electric.
    It's in stores now. I'm not a big fan of the finish colours, but it plays quite nicely.
    All-laminated, mostly hollow except for the area under the bridge and tailpiece.
    Very light, decent-sized neck.
    Attached Images Attached Images Played a Gibson "Wes Paul" today...-hero-2-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 11-15-2014 at 10:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    They do make one like this, introduced in 2014 - the Gibson ES-Les Paul Semi-Hollow Electric.
    A buddy bought one of the Epi versions and I played that some and except for the light strings was nice, but the Les Paul body shape I have a tough time with. Maybe with a strap? I have a GB10 and that is about 14" and like it a lot. So thinking a small 175 shape with inset pickup would be cool.

User Info Menu

No me gusta!!!

User Info Menu

I wouldn't own one... the name sounds like Elmer Fudd saying Les Paul..

Stay away from my WES PAUL you scwooey wascally wabbit! :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    A buddy bought one of the Epi versions and I played that some and except for the light strings was nice, but the Les Paul body shape I have a tough time with. Maybe with a strap? I have a GB10 and that is about 14" and like it a lot. So thinking a small 175 shape with inset pickup would be cool.
    I actually tried out one of the Epi "Les Paul Florentine" guitars today at a local shop just for kicks. Pretty nice, and I think it was around CAD$700 so like US$600.

For a similar guitar but easier to play while seated, I also tried a Fender Starcaster semi-hollow today, again just for kicks. Fairly large body so very comfortable to play while seated and actually pretty loud (un-amped). I think it was CAD$800. A nice touch with the Starcaster is that the strap pin - due to the nature of the cutaway - would be at roughly the 14th fret, like on an archtop.

For something a bit more pricey and hollow body-ish, the Eastman thinline 145 guitars are carved with mounted pickups and very jazzy necks (width, radius etc) that feel and play great. Used ones can be found for around $1,000 if you're lucky. There's actually one at LA Music right now in mint condition for $1,400. Still a good deal less than a Wes Paul (or a GB10), but no Gibson on the headstock.