The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

This guitar is on a FedEx truck heading west and I can't wait until next week when it arrives. I played a Campellone last January at Joe Vinikow's and couldn't get that sound out of my head ever since. I'm hoping to pass the GAS with this one. It's virtually mint condition. Now I have to consider whether to free up one of my other girls, maybe the Jazzica? Hmmm, don't know, but the stable is starting to get crowded. I think if I keep hanging around with 2B and the rest of you GAS'rs, I'm going to need counseling or a divorce lawyer (just kidding, she's very supportive and says she loves my guitar playing. That's good. The dog does too.). I wonder what bracing he used on this? The deluxe was X.
    Attached Images Attached Images Campellone Standard-campellone-jpg Campellone Standard-campellone01-jpg Campellone Standard-campellone03-jpg Campellone Standard-campellone04-jpg Campellone Standard-campellone06-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Warning - Gas ATTACK!

Congratulations Steve...she's a beauty!

User Info Menu

Lovely !
    That neck !
    That back !
    That burst !

User Info Menu

Nice ! Congrats !

User Info Menu

Feel free to message me if you decide to part with the Hoffner Jazzica. Pics and pricing welcomed Thanks.

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar...I particularly liked the fingerboard, looks perfect, also good choice on fret size, congratulations!

User Info Menu

Very nice! WOW!

User Info Menu

One of the nicest looking Campellones. There is beauty in its understated elegance distilled to its essence with no inlays and minimal ornamentation. Reminds me of a classical guitar.

Give me Liberty. Or give me GAS.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-15-2014 at 12:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous!! I'm just shocked that you pulled the trigger on this beauty without asking about the bracing? But, in a way, I'm kinda proud of you at the same time. It's a wonderful guitar. Regradless of the bracing . . it's definitely going to play and sound fantastic. After that . . it is what it is. The tone will definitely be affected by the bracing. But, the fact that you bought it not knowing tells me that you're a bit like I am. Just love it for what it is.

I just love Mark's work. That looks like a beautifully clear spruce top with a nice top grain. Mark's shading skills rival those of the artisans at Heritage. A one piece neck? Mark's a man of confidence. I'd love to have him build me a guitar.

Please do me a favor . . when you get the guitar . . have that pup straightened out. That guitar is too damned pretty for even that slightest imperfection. Should be a relatively easy fix.

A very happy and well deserved happy NGD to you!!

User Info Menu

I, OTOH, did play before taking the plunge.
    And figuring out the bracing was pretty easy.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-12-2015 at 11:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Often wondered where that Oval Hole Campy went to. A snakehead done right is a beautiful thing. Congrats to you too, Hammer.

(Campy is biker-speak for Campagnolo and I hope Mark does not mind the association with another beautiful thing: the Campagnolo Gruppo Record.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick2
    Gorgeous!! I'm just shocked that you pulled the trigger on this beauty without asking about the bracing? But, in a way, I'm kinda proud of you at the same !
    Maybe he asked me? You're not the only authority on here u know

User Info Menu

That's beautiful - many happy returns!

I had a Deluxe that I kind of regret selling...it was the best playing guitar I've ever owned and as good as any I've seen in the quality dept.

b_goat

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Maybe he asked me? You're not the only authority on here u know
    Authority?? Most here would say I'm more of a PITA than an actual authority. Shit, man . . . I don't even hold authority over my daughter's pit bull. But then, no one else does either. I'm just really glad he's 18 years old. His legs don't work too good anymore. So, when I torment him he can't catch me. Only on one occasion, when I thought I could get to his pull toy before he did. I reached for it (foolishly) with my left hand. Couldn't play guitar for 2 weeks.

My comment was in response to the OP's comment "I wonder what kind of bracing he used?". That was the last sentence in the OP.

Here's Jake.

He looking at me with that . . "OK ass-hole. You wanna try to take my ball away from me again??" . .kinda look.

User Info Menu

My comment was in response to the OP's comment "I wonder what kind of bracing he used?".
    I did ask 2B, but I also asked Mark, and he said it was Parallel braced, built in Dec. 2011, special ordered with upgraded maple and one piece neck. But you are right Patrick, to be honest which I generally am, I didn't know when I pulled the trigger, and didn't really give a sh**, because like you said, it's definitely going to "play and sound fantastic" awesome when she gets here.

I'll definitely give an update on this after I've given her a go. I couldn't resist buying it, and Mark Campellone is a master, no question about it. I almost drove over to Paso, WA, about 4-5 hrs from here, to look a gorgeous Shaefer 17" in the same price range that I've been looking at forever on CL, also posted on this forum in the for sale section, but when I saw this one, ,my heart started beating faster and my pupils dialated. I'm a sick man, I tell ya. I caught it from 2B and Patrick.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! Campellones are just fantastic sounding archtops in the vein of the best Gibsons. I spoke w/ Mark Campellone some years ago and he told me his Std. archtops sound and play every bit as well as his top of the line Specials. You basically are just paying for the ornamentation and time it takes to add it. Also I've found that many times plainer carved solid tops and maple backs and sides can actually sound better than their fancy counter parts.

User Info Menu

Congrats on your new Campellone! I hope that it helps you find your sound.

kudos

User Info Menu

Yes,

thanks jads57, and everyone else, especially the sympathetic afflicted. Jab said it nicely above as well. I like the no bling, just that lovely ebony on a highly flamed maple neck, really lets the wood do the talk'n, so to speak.

These things are so beautiful like that, it's like a lusciously natural beautiful woman w/o gobs of makeup to distract from those lines, makes me want to lick and kiss the guitar, but I refrain to avoid getting slobber and lip marks on it!

User Info Menu

I like the bling on archtops .... but I like the plain look of Campellone's standards more than the bling of his more expensive stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I, OTOH, did play before taking the plunge.
    And figuring out the bracing was pretty easy.

I don't know why . . but the oval hole reminds me of Munch's "The Scream".

User Info Menu

That's a seriously attractive guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    it's like a lusciously natural beautiful woman w/o gobs of makeup to distract from those lines, makes me want to lick and kiss the
    Darn - That got my attention. It read like a steamy romance novel until you brought it back to - guitar. Didn't know you were a ghost writer Steve!

mega CONGRATS!

Authority?? Most here would say I'm more of a PITA than an actual authority. Shit, man . . . I don't even hold authority over my daughter's pit bull. But then, no one else does either. I'm just really glad he's 18 years old. His legs don't work too good anymore. So, when I torment him he can't catch me. Only on one occasion, when I thought I could get to his pull toy before he did. I reached for it (foolishly) with my left hand. Couldn't play guitar for 2 weeks.

My comment was in response to the OP's comment "I wonder what kind of bracing he used?". That was the last sentence in the OP.

Here's Jake.

He looking at me with that . . "OK ass-hole. You wanna try to take my ball away from me again??" . .kinda look.
    Jake is one wise old dude...that's old for any dog, let alone a PB.

He'd be putty in my hands within 10 minutes...You've got to get down on his level, on all 4's, and wrestle!
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 11-15-2014 at 03:46 PM.

User Info Menu

So, skykomishone, how does your Campellone sound?
    Mine sounds a bit like of Munch's "The Scream," in a very powerful, loud, bassy, throaty, punchy kinda way.

I have spoken with the original owner and he had this to say. He might be Australian:
    "
    It has a kick on it like a mule: eight bars of this and you're really finished. This is a guitar with a message in it, and the message is 'beware'. This is not a guitar for playing, this is a guitar for laying down and avoiding. It has a particularly heavy sound and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat."

Last edited by Hammertone; 05-12-2015 at 11:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Darn - That got my attention. It read like a steamy romance novel until you brought it back to - guitar. Didn't know you were a ghost writer Steve!

mega CONGRATS!

Jake is one wise old dude...that's old for any dog, let alone a PB.

He'd be putty in my hands within 10 minutes...You've got to get down on his level, on all 4's, and wrestle!

Yeah . . . OK. You get down on all fours and wrestle with this monster. He'll give you an ass-whupin' you'll remeber for a long time. He's old . . but he's not dead. He'll play with you . . . he'll wrestle with you. But, mess with his ball or his pull toy . . . he'll kick your ass. You see that yellow ball in the photo? Reach for it and you'll pull back a bloody stump that used to be your hand.
    Last edited by Patrick2; 11-22-2014 at 11:39 PM.

User Info Menu

a few more. Now, THAT's how you do a snakehead.

Last edited by Hammertone; 11-23-2014 at 02:19 AM.