The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

I have gotten some of my classicals back over the years for tweaking, to me, the builder, a patina of nail marks on the french polished top is AN HONOR!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am still stressed over my guitar case as I was putting away my guitar in 1986 resulting in the lock gouging the body. I feel your pain, especially as I just bought a new 175, its freakin me out.

User Info Menu

A classical guitar guy I knew kept a mirror on his music stand so that he could watch his right hand technique while practicing (you know where I am going with this). Anyway he bumped the stand and the mirror pitched over, and put a real NICE divot on the top of his guitar. Cosmetic, you say, but that dinger put him in therapy for a while. Classical guys are peculiar, anyway.

I've yet to put a ding on my archtop, but I don't look forward to it; you just know it will happen...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickB
    A classical guitar guy I knew kept a mirror on his music stand so that he could watch his right hand technique while practicing (you know where I am going with this). Anyway he bumped the stand and the mirror pitched over, and put a real NICE divot on the top of his guitar. Cosmetic, you say, but that dinger put him in therapy for a while. Classical guys are peculiar, anyway.

I've yet to put a ding on my archtop, but I don't look forward to it; you just know it will happen...

People talk about Julian Bream's classical guitar in concert and how scratched up the top was. Ends up Julian liked to play Jazz and after concerts would hang at jam sessions using a pick on his classical guitar.

User Info Menu

Do I try to avoid dings in my guitars? Yes. Do I succeed? No. FWIW, my D'Angelico has a poly (ester? urethane) finish that seems to be nearly indestructible. I've given the guitar a couple of whacks that I thought for sure would leave divots, but it's so far unscathed. My old-ish gibson flattop is dinged, scratched, and checked all all over. It's nice not to have to pay for relic-ing :-)

John

User Info Menu

The guitars I play most- my Godin 5th Avenue, and my two Gibson L6-Ss all have dings. The Godin's matte finish tends to be more forgiving. My Gibsons have buckle/button marks on the backs as when I'm gigging I'm wearing suits/belt that rubs on the back of the instrument. The blonde finish L6 has finish discolouring on the parts where the body touches my clothes... as if some of the dye in the clothes has gone into the finish. The nitro finish on the Gibson guitars seems to mark easier.

Currently my Gretsch G400 which is still pretty much new is unmarked but I suspect that will change as I gig with it more. It has a urethane finish that should be quite resistant to damage. It's a gorgeous looking guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    I don't buy into the "I treat 'em rough cause they're just tools" BS. I think that's machismo.
    Such a good point. If it were true, there would be no demand for deluxe binding, inlays, or premium flamed woods.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    I don't buy into the "I treat 'em rough cause they're just tools" BS. I think that's machismo.
    For myself and perhaps others who mention that guitar are tools, I never saw anyone say that they "treated them rough" because they're tools. It's simply a matter of using a guitar as a means to getting a job done, and during the course of that use, things happen, whether it's fret wear, finish dulling from body contact or the occasional ding that happens because it's been used. Here's a new and current picture of my pickguard. It's just simply worn from where my fingernails rest on it after hours and hours of play. It wasn't abused, but on the other hand, I'm not rushing out to buy a new pickguard to make it look pretty again.

There's no machismo involved, a reference that I found just a tad offensive.

User Info Menu

I treat my guitars like a beautiful young woman but age and time takes no prisoners. If Marilyn Monroe was alive today she would not have the beauty she had in 1960. I am still very anal. My guitars never go back in the case with sweat or finger prints on them. I do love it when your binding turns yellow and a natural spruce top turns a nice shade of amber. Hey when you spend thousands on a archtop you take good care of it. At least in my book but everyone has different values. I believe people that are not anal are much happier people. Little things do not bother them. I also get very upset if I get a scratch on my car. Like I said before I wish I wasn't so darn anal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin' Brian
    For myself and perhaps others who mention that guitar are tools, I never saw anyone say that they "treated them rough" because they're tools. It's simply a matter of using a guitar as a means to getting a job done, and during the course of that use, things happen, whether it's fret wear, finish dulling from body contact or the occasional ding that happens because it's been used. Here's a new and current picture of my pickguard. It's just simply worn from where my fingernails rest on it after hours and hours of play. It wasn't abused, but on the other hand, I'm not rushing out to buy a new pickguard to make it look pretty again.

There's no machismo involved, a reference that I found just a tad offensive.

That guitar looks to be in terrific condition as far as I'm concerned. I don't see any of the wear on the pickguard of which you speak.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Klatu
    That guitar looks to be in terrific condition as far as I'm concerned. I don't see any of the wear on the pickguard of which you speak.
    The first picture is brand new. The white parts on the second picture are where the finish has been totally worn off. There are other places on the guitar that are the same. It's only 8 years old but it gets played 3 or more hours a day.

User Info Menu

I bought a brand new Jeff Beck Strat. After having it a month, and doing nothing but sitting on the couch with it, I noticed a dime sized area paint chip. It wasn't dented or crushed in any way, just the paint was gone. The Fender rep said they wouldn't do anything about it, but fortunately the guitar store said they would get it taken care of at the Fender factory. Not sure exactly what they worked out. That was four months ago, I haven't seen my guitar, or my $1500 since then.

The point is, even though I have a few dinged up strats and tells I freaked out when I saw the chip. I could accept a ding or dent, especially if I knew I caused it. But this looked like total paint failure, the paint wasn't sticking to the wood and I was concerned that it was the first of many pieces of paint that would fall off.