The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

...well I can't claim to have the refined ear of many nor the refined play skills, but after developing my own unique affection toward 2x humbucker solid bodies like the (hold your breath) Schecter Banshee for jazz, I decided to order something that can at least pose a bit more as a jazz instrument in the f-hole circles.

So I did something you'll all either frown or chuckle at, which is to make a stinkin' spreadsheet of dimensions for the various Ibbys that seemed aesthetically pleasing:

Bout Depth Length Nut Scale Radius Neck Thickness
    Sadowsky Bruno 14.75 2.75 42.83 24.75
    Ibanez AF200 16.50 4.25 20.00 43.00 24.75 305.0 20/22
    Ibanez LGB30 15.75 3.625 19.50 43.00 24.75 305.0 20/22
    Ibanez GB10 14.75 3.38 18.88 43.00 24.75 305.0 20/23
    Ibanez JSM10 15.75 2.625 19.25 43.00 24.75 305.0 21/24
    Ibanez AFJ95 15.75 3.625 19.50 43.00 24.75 305.0 21/24
    Ibanez AM93 14.50 2.625 17.63 43.00 24.75 305.0 20/22
    Ibanez AS93 15.75 2.625 19.50 43.00 24.75 305.0 21/24
    Ibanez AM153 14.50 2.625 17.63 43.00 24.75 305.0 20/22
    Ibanez AS153 15.75 2.625 19.50 43.00 24.75 305.0 21/24

I have the ol' Sadowsky Bruno at the top, because that instrument is the cat's pajamas.

Anyway, I knew I wanted a smaller bout, a thin body and a fast neck so the choice was pretty obvious -- etiher the AM93 or the AM153. I ended up with the AM93 as I couldn't tell a difference (other than the AM153 had a different look and came with a case).

I nailed the 15% off coupon from a nameless faceless online retailer and she's on her way. She'll get a set of Thomastik George Benson Flatwound 12s right away and I'll hopefully not need to do anything to the nut as a result.

Should be fun. FWIW, I really would've preferred an Eastman or a Peerless, but I knew that the 1 3/4" nuts and/or the thicker neck profiles would have turned me off eventually. It's too bad as I think the aesthetics are a lot nicer on the Eastman or the Peerless.

PS -- and I know this is nuts, but bear with me... if this one doesn't work out, it'll go right back and I think I'll check out the GB10. I'm anxious about the thickness of that bad boy though. You'll probably call me crazy to be comparing a $500 guitar to a $2k guitar, but to me, it's all about how well the comfort is with the instrument and that's got a lot less to do with bling and how well a binding is enlaid versus dimensions and neck-feel.

Ibanez AM93-products844541-635x575-1264183-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have one like that

Ibanez AM93-img_2809-jpgIbanez AM93-img_2812-jpg

User Info Menu

The bout on my LGB30 is 16".

Quote Originally Posted by Para
    The bout on my LGB30 is 16".
    Yeah I think the GB10 is a bit smaller, I bet they do a GB10 version out of China for 1k$ soon.

User Info Menu

I have that same AM93 so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts.

User Info Menu

Also Ibanez have the specs wrong on the AF200 it's 16" bout, 20" length, 2 3/4" rim and 3 5/8" max depth, I measured mine to make sure. Nice AM93.
    AF200.
    Ibanez AM93-af200-5-jpg
    Last edited by Para; 11-04-2014 at 04:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Looks like a nice axe. Semi-hollow?

BTW: I don't know if you're going to find a GB10 in good condition for $2K. Street price is $3500 discounted to around $3K. I've seen them for $2500 used in excellent condition.

Good Luck with the AM93! I love my AF125.

User Info Menu

​I saw a few errors in the specs on your sheet: most notably the depth of the GB10, I don't have one around any longer to measure and confirm but I played one a long doggone time, it's less than 3 inches thick. You'll like the way you look (as a famous mass market clothier used to say) wearing that one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Para
    AF200.
    Ibanez AM93-af200-5-jpg
    I'd love to hear more, although perhaps in a different thread (and only if you feel like taking the trouble!), including how this compares to the less expensive Chinese and the more expensive signature Japanese models.

Looks far better IMO in this pic than in the "official" Ibanez images with their notoriously oversaturated colors.

User Info Menu

I love all those Ibanez Artcores and Artstars. Played several at stores, but never owned one. If they make one in black or white, I will buy it. Not a big fan of flamey tops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    I have one like that

Ibanez AM93-img_2809-jpg
    what model and color is that?? I like!

Yeah, I am not a fan of the flame and all the bling. I don't understand why Ibby doesn't make lower end more "plain" guitars but I suppose the bluezzzzzzz crowd likes all the bling. Who knows.

As I previously mentioned, if this one doesn't work I'll be checking out the GB10 at a good clip higher price. I've been selling off some other stuff to get my budget open to that if needed.

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by peskypesky
    what model and color is that?? I like!
    Its a 1983 Ibanez Artist AM205 in Antique Violin.

I have played both guitars. Its fair to say that the older ones have a nicer weight (heavier) and more balanced feel.

It's like comparing the feel of a cheap car door shutting, to that of an expensive one. That being said, what Ibanez offer is still one hell of a guitar, for the money.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopHeaven
    Its a 1983 Ibanez Artist AM205 in Antique Violin.

I have played both guitars. Its fair to say that the older ones have a nicer weight (heavier) and more balanced feel.

It's like comparing the feel of a cheap car door shutting, to that of an expensive one. That being said, what Ibanez offer is still one hell of a guitar, for the money.
    Have you been able to compare your '83 with the one currently for sale?
    Hollow Bodies ARTSTAR Prestige - AM205 | Ibanez guitars

I really, really, really wish they would go back to the old square headstock.

User Info Menu

Have you been able to compare your '83 with the one currently for sale?
    Hollow Bodies ARTSTAR Prestige - AM205 | Ibanez guitars

I really, really, really wish they would go back to the old square headstock.
    NO I haven't. I suspect the new ones will be even better. They have perfected the tech over the years. The stuff FG is churning out, is simply stunning.

And yes, I agree :-)

User Info Menu

"PS -- and I know this is nuts, but bear with me... if this one doesn't work out, it'll go right back and I think I'll check out the GB10. I'm anxious about the thickness of that bad boy though. You'll probably call me crazy to be comparing a $500 guitar to a $2k guitar, but to me, it's all about how well the comfort is with the instrument and that's got a lot less to do with bling and how well a binding is enlaid versus dimensions and neck-feel."

There are some who think that an inexpensive box can't be as good as some high dollar name brand, not me. Look at it this way, today's $3000 guitar was $500 in the 60's so what made it worth $3000 today? Because the new ones are $2500? Old World Craftsmanship? or maybe some factory built over sacred ground?

I've said it before... IMO there's no magic, no mumbo jumbo, everything there is to know about making guitars is known, and a user has to like what they buy and, play what they buy, and if they don't like the sound? the sound can easily be changed.

BTW, I remember someone here posting a vid of Tal Farlow playing a little red plastic guitar... pretty damn good, a darn sight better than I and many can play a genuine Tal Farlow :-)

User Info Menu

I love all those Ibanez Artcores and Artstars. Played several at stores, but never owned one. If they make one in black or white, I will buy it. Not a big fan of flamey tops.
    You could probably get one pro. painted for a couple hundred bucks. I like white guitars too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Silentwiz
    Ibanez AM93-products844541-635x575-1264183-jpg

I have this exact guitar and same color. I was going to use it as a jazz axe with a wound 3rd. I liked it so much I had to use it with the classic rock band I'm in so I put a set of .010s on it and that's how I use it now! I ended up with the LGB30 last week as my new jazz axe.

User Info Menu

Keep an eye on the LGB30 tailpiece if you use heavy guage strings mine developed very faint hairline cracks at the hinge after a year, I was using TI flats 13-53, I replaced it with this.

Ibanez AM93-lgb30-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    "PS -- and I know this is nuts, but bear with me... if this one doesn't work out, it'll go right back and I think I'll check out the GB10. I'm anxious about the thickness of that bad boy though. You'll probably call me crazy to be comparing a $500 guitar to a $2k guitar, but to me, it's all about how well the comfort is with the instrument and that's got a lot less to do with bling and how well a binding is enlaid versus dimensions and neck-feel."

There are some who think that an inexpensive box can't be as good as some high dollar name brand, not me. Look at it this way, today's $3000 guitar was $500 in the 60's so what made it worth $3000 today? Because the new ones are $2500? Old World Craftsmanship? or maybe some factory built over sacred ground?

I've said it before... IMO there's no magic, no mumbo jumbo, everything there is to know about making guitars is known, and a user has to like what they buy and, play what they buy, and if they don't like the sound? the sound can easily be changed.

BTW, I remember someone here posting a vid of Tal Farlow playing a little red plastic guitar... pretty damn good, a darn sight better than I and many can play a genuine Tal Farlow :-)
    Your right to an extent but there are differences.

The new Am is nice but its light, its slightly unbalanced, neck heavy. The finish is nice but thick and the neck is rosewood.

My 1983 Am is perfectly balanced, a good weight, it feels higher quality in the hands. The finish is nicer and the woods are nicer.

Now Im not saying your guitar is bad for the money, its a great guitar but there are differences and they can be felt. Whether or not that comes out in the tone is not the point here.

User Info Menu

Those old AM200 or AM205 are unbeatable in craftmenship and feel. No comparison the the new Artcores imho.

User Info Menu

Since we are talking about these guitars I'm going to be selling mine for £899

£300 more than a Chinese one!

**Bargain**

Ibanez AM93-ibanez-am200-11-jpgIbanez AM93-ibanez-am200-15-jpg
    Last edited by Archie; 11-06-2014 at 04:36 PM.

User Info Menu

ah, a non-bookmatched one, mine is bookmatched and from 1999. Why do you sell? What kind of guitar do you prefer over this one?

User Info Menu

Hi Arch,

I'm not in the market for a new guitar, but I'm curious. How much is L899 in real money (USD)? LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lapideusvir
    ah, a non-bookmatched one, mine is bookmatched and from 1999. Why do you sell? What kind of guitar do you prefer over this one?
    Yours must have been a special order then because I don't think these were available off the shelf in 1999.

I'm selling it because it is surplus to requirements. I'm fascinated by guitars, especially Japanese archtops, so if one comes up that I don't have or haven't played, I buy it. I have no real need for a semi hollow so its time to go.

Great guitar though, I just prefer my big Archtops.