The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

so far using 10-46 daddarios on my blues stratocaster.
    for my 335 I am thinking for more fat jazz sound and dont bend strings so much.

what strings shall I take into consideration?
    flatwound?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mertas
    so far using 10-46 daddarios on my blues stratocaster.
    for my 335 I am thinking for more fat jazz sound and dont bend strings so much.

what strings shall I take into consideration?
    flatwound?
    I had .012 Tomastik Infeld flat wound on one of mine and it sounded great.

User Info Menu

I agree- I have TI flat wound 11s on my jazz tele- great sound

User Info Menu

I've had Chrome .12's on my ES 355 for several years and it sounds great in every position of the Varitone.

User Info Menu

Chromes 11's on my Guild Starfire VI are fantastic for jazz and blues!

User Info Menu

D'Addario Chromes 12-50 here.

I've tried other brands, some costing over twice as much, but the difference in tone didn't really justified permanently changing brands for me.

HTH,

User Info Menu

I would recommend EJ21s by D'Addario, not flats though. 12-52 with a wound 3rd.

User Info Menu

TI flatwounds on my Heritage 535. Not for everybody, but perfect for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    TI flatwounds on my Heritage 535. Not for everybody, but perfect for me.
    Yeah I've got 13 flatwounds on my 535 and love them.

User Info Menu

i don't recommend flatwounds on a 335 (or any maple body/hog neck guitar), but that's me. ti's are the best but very expensive. if you like heavier strings, maybe give some everly strings a shot.

User Info Menu

Obviously, a very taste dependent decision ... My 0.02$: I would really recommend TI bebop roundwound strings. To me, they are the best of all worlds. They have a nice jazzy tone, little fingernoise and yet they don't sound as dead as flatwounds. With a plain g, you can also play other musical styles with them and TI's have relatively low string tension, such that going with a 0.012 set on a 24.75 scale is really no problem. They also make them in lighter gauges if you are into that. The d'Addario's are also very nice strings if you look for a somewhat brighter sound.

what about round d'addarios 10-46 wound G string?

User Info Menu

On my ES-335 and my Epi Dot, I use T-I Swings on strings 3, 4, 5, and 6 from a set of 11s. D'Addario plain stainless 0.11 and 0.15 on strings 1 and 2. I use that combination with different gauges on all my hollow and semihollows.

User Info Menu

I use Thomastik .13 bebops for my semi-hollow guitars, those are the best I could find until now.

The mix of gauges gives them an overall feel as having a lower gauge.

They are a bit pricy though, but last long.

Jens

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag
    On my ES-335 and my Epi Dot, I use T-I Swings on strings 3, 4, 5, and 6 from a set of 11s. D'Addario plain stainless 0.11 and 0.15 on strings 1 and 2. I use that combination with different gauges on all my hollow and semihollows.
    quite complicated solution. what does it bring to you?

User Info Menu

On my GB10s I always used the TI GB 12 flats, they cost more but really last a very long time.
    Now that I'm a little older and have some arthritis in the hands (And brain) I use D'ADarrio 11 flats - got them on my Eastman T186mx and my Yunzhi John Pisano copy (With floater), they're fantastic. I play rock, gospel, old hymns and try faking jazz and I get a nice fat tone but with a little bite. The 186 now has Seth Lover 4 wires with the SD Triple Shot pickup rings, let me tell you I'm a tone monster with that setup.

You want to push the top on your jazz guitar, that means a string gauge of at least 11, 12 tops. Any fatter than 12 check with the manufacturer.

User Info Menu

I have TI Jazz/Swing 11-47 on my 335 right now. They are flatwound. They sound excellent. I could probably go with the 12-50 set and would prefer them, but I am enjoying the 11s currently. The TI 11 set are very "bendable."

User Info Menu

I only use TI flats. I have .14s on my Tele and they work well with my small tube amp. I use .11s on my Heritage 535 as I think they give me a lot better pick control.

User Info Menu

I use Thomastik 12-50s on my two Gibson L6-Ss. They give a nice fat sound but not too dead sounding.
    I've also used John Pearse nickel archtop strings and they are also very nice, they're roundwound, but not quite so zingy and a bit smoother feeling.

User Info Menu

have an all hollow 330 type guitar and i use d'addario chrome 10 's with wound G .... and i like and i only play jazz

i used to use flat 12's or 13's exclusively on all my archtops/335/330 type guitars but found if i gig a lot i prefer the easier softer action of the 10's it puts less strain on the hands and that means less fatigue when gigging a few shows a week and thus less threat of hand injury and to my ear 10's (with wound G) sounds great and definitely a jazzy tone

User Info Menu

Newtone Archtop 11's. Roundwound, but full sound, no squeaks. Cheaper than TI's, but I actually like them better than Bebops, certainly for a semi.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    Newtone Archtop 11's. Roundwound, but full sound, no squeaks. Cheaper than TI's, but I actually like them better than Bebops, certainly for a semi.
    Somebody just recommended Newtone strings to me too, they are supposed to be low tension like the TI's too I have to check them out!

Jens

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JensL
    Somebody just recommended Newtone strings to me too, they are supposed to be low tension like the TI's too I have to check them out!

Jens
    They are and you should!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mertas
    quite complicated solution. what does it bring to you?
    It's funny, but before I got my hearing aids, I really couldn't hear how the T-I Swing first and second strings were a little louder and brighter than the rest of the set. Occasionally, I would notice it, but I thought it was more a problem of pick attack. I'm a pretty light player, so the difference wasn't pronounced. Once I got my hearing aids and I could really hear the treble strings, the difference was more pronounced. I really like the T-I wound strings, very mellow, but very punchy in the mids and lows, and the plain stainless steel strings seem to be well balanced with the rest of the set. Plus, I like the T-I Swings because their gauge v. tension is comparatively lower.
    Last edited by zigzag; 11-03-2014 at 12:54 PM.