The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 58

User Info Menu

A rare bird, Guild Benedetto X-700 single set neck p/u, or Campellone Special - Which would you prefer to own and why?
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 10-30-2014 at 07:18 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Must. Have. Guild.

User Info Menu

i'm partial to set in pickups, so Guild for me.
    btw, if the shipping is too much you can always drive down ala Patrick.

User Info Menu

Guild-Benedetto X-700 Stuart, 25 & 9/16" scale length.

You pays your money, you takes your choice

http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator

Plain jane X700 http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/specs/x700.html
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 10-28-2014 at 03:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    1/16" longer than the Gibson 25.5" standard makes that much of a difference for you J-Dub?
    Yes, it does. 25.5" is a stretch for me.

User Info Menu

Oh...I thought you owned several L5's?
    1 L-5 Wes Montgomery Heart Inlay. 1 Super 400CES CC. 1 Super 300. 2 L-4CES. 1 ES-175 P90. 1 ES-150 CC Reissue. 1 ES-150 1954. 1 ES-5 Switchmaster. 1 L-12. 1 L-10. 8 R9 Les Paul, 1 R4 Oxblood. 1 Epiphone Howard Roberts. 1 Le Grand.1 Gretsch Country Club. 1 Slaman 1923 L5. and a bunch of 77 Guitars (5), Ibanez (2), Bacchus (3), Tokai (3) and Edwards (1). I have about 40. And 1 8-string Ramirez 1a 664mm scale length.

Edit: And my Borys B120 with the Chip Wilson Cardinal inlay headstock. How could I have left that out? And just found a Terada-made Epiphone Broadway Elitist in my harem of 42 with a PRS JA-15 on the way. Plus my first guitar, a Yamaha CG260, that I have had since 1982.

You must have got me confused for Roger P who does have a few L-5s. He is far handsomer too.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 10-31-2014 at 01:15 PM.

User Info Menu

You're too late 2b. I've already seen it and I've already been in contact with the seller on this one. I saw the question on shipping costs and knew it came from you. I've not put a bid in on this . . and I won't . . although I have lusted for one ever since missing out on Daniel Faehnle's beautiful sunburst varient of the same guitar. His was a bit worn, as he did extensive travel and many gigs with it. Even as such, their price was stupid high on it. More than I paid for my GBJSA!! I think the high price was due to the provenance and the fact that it was consigned to the seller on behalf of Faehnle.

I emailed Frank Mele for confirmation on the 25-9/16 sclae length. He responded with confirmation on the 25-9/16". You'll definitely feel a difference, as I did on my GBJSA which was the same length. But, you're a big guy and I'm sure it would be manageable for you.

It's currently at $3,200 & some chump change. But, I'm suspecting it will run up quite a bit. Pre-owned Guild Benedetto X700s with a single inset pup are extremely rare to come by. As much respect as I have for Mark Campeleone, his guitars and his craftsmanship . . if I was to choose one of those two, it would be the X700 by a wide margin. These particular Guild Benedetto X700s are finite. Ain't no more of them!! They've built all they are ever going to build [with the staff and craftsmen used at the time]. The newer variant of the Benedetto Guilds just don't measure up. IMO. And, Mark will be building Campy Specials for a long time to come. You can always get another Campy Special. But, when was the last time you saw a a Guild Bene X700 with a single inset pup? When do you think you might, if ever, see one again? IMO, based upon the one I had . . the honey blond that the owner of the Opulent Brown one I bought also owned . . and the honey blond one that I brokered for The Doctor, from Kzoo . . these particular Guild Benedettos are among the finest made anywhere by anyone. Your only concern should be the possible thickness and goopy feel of the finish. Ask Frank about that. But, just judging by the photos . . this X700 doesn't seem to suffer from that condition.

User Info Menu

put me down for the Guild.
    I used to have an old X-500 and the Benedetto improvements of the X-700 were well done.

User Info Menu

Something told me I wasn't the only one camping on it....it sat with zero bids for the first 3 days. I'd hate to bump the kid from Berklee who inquired....but hey...it's a dog eat dog archtop world out here

I'd be more motivated if I didn't have access to a signed GBJSA, at the best price I've ever seen....Agreed on the Special...my only motivation there was it was $4500...no motivations for blondes...i'm full up already....but the GBJSA....Ahhhhh, Sunburst!

PM me the link to the GBJSA. I'd love to see it. Also, I'm chasing a rather unique *one off* ;-) GE. Made an offer. I'll let you know how it turns out. I might be taking a drive down to Savannah, GA. :-)

User Info Menu

Yeah, the blond with the Byrdland tailpiece...what's the story on that? and who is Don Sharp?

Uh, too late...I just had the GBJSA removed from the 'net...trigger pulled...so, I guess my original question has become moot...but still a good question for others to ponder...

I think he's a flat top guitar luthier. On the GE . . the bound volute on thje back of the head stock and the notation of the tap tuning on the label tell me that Aaron hand his hands on this one. To my knowledge, there's not another Heritage archie in the world with a bound volute. I tried to get Marv to do a volute on my newest SGE. It wasn't even open to discussion. So, I'm pretty sure Aaron did it. The seller really doesn't seem to be to knowledgeable on guitars. He and I exchanged a couple of messages. I certainly don't need this guitar. But, I'm intrigued by it.

My wife and I are going on a road trip next week. I've got a major trade show in Orlando. Fran (my wife) has never been to either Charlston, SC or Savannah, GA. So, whether or not I win the bid, we'll be in Savannah on Sunday evening. Timing just might work out real good on this one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF
    put me down for the Guild.
    I used to have an old X-500 and the Benedetto improvements of the X-700 were well done.
    Can you elaborate? Sorry for the hikack.

User Info Menu

Man, you got to play them both side by side, unamplified, and then through the same amplifier. No one here knows better than you what you like.

User Info Menu

Of course that's almost always impossible.

User Info Menu

That Benedetto is on eBay, I have been watching that. Btw, you think $3.4k USD is a lot for a regular X700?

LoL, that kid from Berklee. I am that kid, haha!!
    Last edited by JPMike; 10-28-2014 at 06:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Outstanding...Great road trip for the 2 of you!

I wondered about the volute too, and why the 2.5 year wait....nice of Wolfe to provide that note...I had to chuckle reading his comments.... So Aaron would have taken 2 years to complete a Heritage build in the mid 90's?
    Hell no, man. Aaron built both of my Unitys in less than 4 months on each . . and each of them is far more intricate in detail than any Heritage ever built. Also, Aaron more than likely only did the neck . . and Jim probably sent him the top plate after the rough carv at the Heritage plant. Not withstanding the drying time for the tite bond in gluing the 5 pieces of the neck together, Aaron could complete a neck in 3 days time. Marv could probably do it in even less time than that. But they just won't do a bound volute. Probably took Aaron a week or so to get the top and X bracing to where he was satisfied with the knuckle tap response.

It might have taken Heritage 2 years to decide if they wanted to do the custom work and then get started on the guitar . . . . and 6 months to complete it. That's just how Heritage rolls sometimes. My custom builds went rather quickly, as did Frank's (from Germany) Golden Eagle, because I was on the phone with them at least 3 times a week and visited with them twice during the builds of each. On was on them like Spandex on a fat girl. "Persistence is omnipotent". Also, Jay might have *embellished* just a bit about the 2 1/2 year time frame. He's the best at embellishing. lolol Jay's just great. A super guy too.

If that particular Don Sharp is indeed the flat top luthier, he also might have been a little responsible for the lengthy time it took for the build. He's a master craftsman . . and probable had his hands in the soup along the way . . just as I always did.

User Info Menu

So, are you saying you'd buy a guitar or two that are uncomfortable for you to play, but you want others to avoid that pitfall? I'm confused....
    I never said they're uncomfortable. I said 25.5" is a stretch for me. 25 9/16" scale length? That will be uncomfortable. Even Bob would not use it on his shop's own guitars.

You did ask WHY in your post and I answered why. OK, next time I will tell you what you want to hear.

It is certainly a very pretty guitar and will photograph well.

You pays your money. You takes your choice.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 10-28-2014 at 09:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    I never said they're uncomfortable. I said 25.5" is a stretch for me. 25 9/16" scale length? That will be uncomfortable. Even Bob would not use it on his shop's own guitars.

You did ask WHY in your post and I answered why. OK, next time I will tell you what you want to hear.

i agree. I own a Johnny Smith Award Guild Benedetto and Gibsons too.

User Info Menu

Something told me I wasn't the only one camping on it....it sat with zero bids for the first 3 days. I'd hate to bump the kid from Berklee who inquired....but hey...it's a dog eat dog archtop world out here

I'd be more motivated if I didn't have access to a signed GBJSA, at the best price I've ever seen....Agreed on the Special...my only motivation there was it was $4500...no motivations for blondes...i'm full up already....but the GBJSA....Ahhhhh, Sunburst!

Lol actually that Kid might be a fellow member who I have shown the guitar too. I have also been camping on it myself :-))

I expect it to fetch between 5-6k

Market for these has always been odd.

Personally I don't know about which I would chose. With so little choice, I would go for a Campellone. If you don't like the Benny, then as cockney Jaba said, you pays your monies you take your choices. The campellones offer a wider range of sizes, scale length etc.

Plus I already have a 700 and messing round with that, is almost sacrilege. I don't care who's name is on it. The original X-700 is about as close to an L5CES you will get for 1/4 the price.

User Info Menu

Now C'mon J-dub. I was simply shocked to learn certain Gibsons were a stretch. Everyone knows 2b wouldn't base a buying decision entirely upon forum advice. No guts, no glory.

Everyone knows you've a preference for 60-70's AA's.

2b's motto...never knock a guitar you've not personally owned.
    OK, my bad.

User Info Menu

Your passion for your original X-700 is understood, but clearly the GB-X700 is not the same archtop, as your $5-$6k remark suggests But I'd be very surprised to see it go that high...however, it's feebay...one never knows what evil lurks.
    I am aware of the models differences :-)

Its a funny guitar really, because its not a 700, nor is is a Benedetto. Guild should have called it an X-800 Benedetto. The extra 100, denoting its one above a 700 (obviously).

I'm guessing $5500

User Info Menu

The same could be said of the GBAA and the GBJSA

Oh so you're bidding too. Don't you have a UK feebay of your own
    Last time I checked, the internet was international

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky always denigrates Guild Benedettos, but he has never owned a Guild Benedetto. I've owned older Guilds and Guild Benedettos, both are good quality guitars.

I find it's best to ignore Jabberwocky's comments about Guild Benedettos.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Benedetto modified the designs. No Bob, no design evolution.

They are Guild Benedettos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    Jabberwocky always denigrates Guild Benedettos, but he has never owned a Guild Benedetto. I've owned older Guilds and Guild Benedettos, both are good quality guitars.

I find it's best to ignore Jabberwocky's comments about Guild Benedettos.

I think its clear he doesn't like the long scale length. I don't think he needs to own one, to not like them on this bases, surely?

In fact if it wasn't for Jabba pointing it out, I wouldn't have known, so thanks Jabba for denigrating Guild Beny's