The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 88 of 88

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I think that's a testament to Keira's playing, ain't it? I mean, that could have easily been gimmicky...instead, it was just perfectly musical.
    I liked it so much that I looked into the cost of a high hat and snare - they are expensive if you want a good one. At least more than I can spend right now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It fascinates me but I'd probably get tangled up and forget which one I'm supposed to hit next. She does it well, though!

I thought it sounded pretty great. I would imagine that a little more "into the room" and away from the acoustic kit, that it'd be about perfect balance-wise; just light touches that are really nice.

It's a shame that it's not good enough for internet critics... I guess she'll have to just settle for playing real gigs.

Sheesh...

User Info Menu

I like Keira`s playing. Using the drumset from time to time is a little bit of spice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richb
    Keira,

You've probably never had anyone be frank with you about the "brush" and hi hat thing before.
    Please take this as a spur to continue to improve:

Don't do this in public. It's sounds horrible and you haven't (yet) got the skill
    to be able to play consistently with any of what you are trying to do. None of it. You are
    having enough trouble just trying to play the tune, never mind any of the other gimmicks -
    which just don't work at all.

Just continue to work on actually trying to play the guitar well. You have already made some headway there.
    Continue with that, but don't embarrass yourself with the other stuff unless you can pull it off PERFECTLY
    with zero effort/mistakes.
    She's working and, I assume, getting paid, so someone must like what she's doing. On Sunday, I finish out a 16 show run and I'm out of work again - wouldn't mind being in her shoes as she seems to work regularly.

User Info Menu

It is unfortunate that so oftentimes richb enters a thread, that the thread inevitably becomes about.............well, as usual......about richb and his personal attacks. It seems like we never quite get back to the original topic again. Sometimes he's funny, and sometimes he has good information to add to the mix. But more often than not, the costs highly outweigh the benefits.

User Info Menu

I often agree with Rich...his point, not his delivery. But not here.

It sounds cool even through whatever crappy device recorded those clips...imagine how cool it sounded in person...it's not a beat...just a little splash of percussive color. I think it works just fine.

User Info Menu

I think it sounded great. Rich, you're a dick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richb
    Keira,

You've probably never had anyone be frank with you about the "brush" and hi hat thing before.
    Please take this as a spur to continue to improve:

Don't do this in public. It's sounds horrible and you haven't (yet) got the skill
    to be able to play consistently with any of what you are trying to do. None of it. You are
    having enough trouble just trying to play the tune, never mind any of the other gimmicks -
    which just don't work at all.

Just continue to work on actually trying to play the guitar well. You have already made some headway there.
    Continue with that, but don't embarrass yourself with the other stuff unless you can pull it off PERFECTLY
    with zero effort/mistakes.
    Soooo nobody should gig unless they are a world-class talent that can execute everything PERFECTLY with zero effort/mistakes? That sucks because even the world-class guys and gals still expend effort and still make mistakes. I bet even your beloved Robben Ford stills makes mistakes now and again. The only people her "gimmicks" have to work for are the people paying her. They apparently feel that it works just fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jasonc
    Soooo nobody should gig unless they are a world-class talent that can execute everything PERFECTLY with zero effort/mistakes? That sucks because even the world-class guys and gals still expend effort and still make mistakes. I bet even your beloved Robben Ford stills makes mistakes now and again. The only people her "gimmicks" have to work for are the people paying her. They apparently feel that it works just fine.
    Well. At least we understand why Rich hasn't posted any clips yet.

How can one develop his solo skills to the maximum

User Info Menu

I'm playing solo at galeries, exhibitions or with dancers and actors once or twice a month.

unfortunately, i'm too bad for jazz, so it's all improvised, free, atmospheric layer-stuff.... probably not suited for restaurants or bars.

i'm using a partscaster tele, a volume pedal, two drives, an eventide modfactor,a delay and a Line6 Dl4 looper into a H&K Tubemeister 18 Combo.
    my board and guitar go into a mono double gigbag, the tubemeister is easy to carry in one hand.

so my setup is very easy to transport!

I hope to have such someday, good gears. Do you have some links?