The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 88

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Never done a solo gig.
    Couple questions, how many sets do you have to do and do you have to talk to customers between sets?
    it depends...restaurants will usually look for a two to three hour window, the idea there would be 1 set per hour with a short break in between sets. I'll often gauge a crowd though, and I have no problem delaying a break if a crowd is enjoying it and tips are coming in. One place I played music closed out the night, and there was always a group of "regulars" who'd hang and drink wine after hours, and they'd pool up money to have me stay another set...I'd usually end up playing some tunes they could sing, one cat always liked to do Charade for example. The owner was cool with it, because they'd keep buying liquor (not sure how legal that was, but hey.)

Generally, I consider myself an employee of the owner that night, so if people want to converse, I will. I'm not a big schmoozer though. But sometimes people like to talk, and if it keeps them around, and they keep ordering drinks, then that's good for the owner, and I'll be hired again.

When I do a gallery opening or wine tasting or other private event, it's usually worked out with whoever books it...I did a bourbon tasting last month and I played for two hours straight, the duration of the event (well, the duration after some "important folks" said "important things" at the beginning.) They wanted a constant atmosphere, so they got it, with no break. Sadly, this seriously cut into my Bourbon investigation, but that's probably better off, I play like shit after a few drinks anyway. Hell, sometimes I play like shit without the aid of alcohol.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebol
    Never done a solo gig.
    Couple questions, how many sets do you have to do and do you have to talk to customers between sets?
    Similar to Jeff. Usually 2-4 hours, I play for 50 mins then take a 10 min break.

I wish customers talked between sets. You'd be shocked at the number of people who walk up and start talking to me while I'm playing. While I'm singing, no less. It's bizarre.

A lot of folks will ask questions between tunes. Some come up between sets.

Every once in a while there's a guy in the back staring at my hands for an hour, and 9 times out of 10 he's going to come up and ask what kind of guitar/amp/strings/pick I'm using :-)

User Info Menu

I also play 45-50 minute sets. You have to have a minimum of two sets ready to go before you go out and get gigs. It's great to have three sets, but the repertoire just builds the more you play. The idea is to get a steady gig--once a week, every other week, whatever. Your playing will improve and your repertoire will build exponentially by actually gigging, which is different than just playing by yourself in your studio.

Schmoozing between sets is a good idea. I usually have business cards with me to hand out and I get higher-paying private event jobs from people who see me in the restaurant/bar.

User Info Menu

I enjoy just playing an old Harmony flattop and singing. The small-bodied Harmony is LOUD--much louder than a Martin D-28 or a D-50 Guild. In a small venue (wine and cheese shop), I can even get away without a mic/PA. It is fun, after 50 years of gigging (since I was 9), to be able just to grab a guitar and show up. If a small PA is needed, I have a compact, 60-watt unit that still gets me in and out of the gig in one trip to the car.

If folks want more playing/less singing, I go electric. An archtop or semi-acoustic and a small amp plus a dinky delay unit (for slapback effects on the Chet/Merle tunes) gets the job done. Generally, I use an Aria Pro II or Memphis copy of a Gibson Super V, else I take a Gibson ES 335TD.

User Info Menu

I wish I could sing. I like to sing. I'm actually damn good at harmonies, my pitch is good...but my timbre just doesn't translate well as a solo artist...oh's well.

As far as gear, I'm back to my tele for almost everything. At home I play my Taylor or Heritage more often...but it's just so easy to grab the tele...and I know what it's gonna sound like anywhere, anytime, any day...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    My dream solo gig is being a DJ where I push some buttons to play music that people love to have droning in the background, as I sit in the corner and count my money, making little pig noises while I eat bacon.
    "that ain't workin... that's the way you do it..."

K

User Info Menu

Let me tell ya...them guys ain't dumb.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I wish I could sing. I like to sing. I'm actually damn good at harmonies, my pitch is good...but my timbre just doesn't translate well as a solo artist...oh's well.

As far as gear, I'm back to my tele for almost everything. At home I play my Taylor or Heritage more often...but it's just so easy to grab the tele...and I know what it's gonna sound like anywhere, anytime, any day...
    Yeah, wish I could sing - started out in the early 70's doing a few but the bands always had a front man/singer so I just worked on being a good lead man and dropped the vocals.

I pretty much use my home made Tele for everything - Charlie Christian in the neck and Bill Lawrence in the bridge lets me cover about anything. At home, it's the Martin D18v and Cordoba GK Studio (swore I'd never own a Chicom guitar but the little rascal sounds pretty good).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    I enjoy just playing an old Harmony flattop and singing. The small-bodied Harmony is LOUD--much louder than a Martin D-28 or a D-50 Guild. In a small venue (wine and cheese shop), I can even get away without a mic/PA. It is fun, after 50 years of gigging (since I was 9), to be able just to grab a guitar and show up. If a small PA is needed, I have a compact, 60-watt unit that still gets me in and out of the gig in one trip to the car.

If folks want more playing/less singing, I go electric. An archtop or semi-acoustic and a small amp plus a dinky delay unit (for slapback effects on the Chet/Merle tunes) gets the job done. Generally, I use an Aria Pro II or Memphis copy of a Gibson Super V, else I take a Gibson ES 335TD.
    My 62' Harmony is quite loud compared to something like a Godin, even with the P90 I installed. I'm not particular about guitars but I do like archtop style with separation of notes. Archtops don't produce sub-sonics like big bodied folk guitars. I find they force you to sing a certain way. I wonder about using a plain classical. In some ways I prefer that to everything. That would mean no goofing around with guitar effects too much.
    A mid-size archtop seems to be a good middle ground.
    On the other hand, my luck seems to have gone south since I sold my strat ages ago. You can do anything with those.
    Last edited by Stevebol; 10-27-2014 at 03:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Nylon strings are a great way to go, IMHO.

I've done a few weddings in the last year where I got hired for ceremony and cocktail hour, and briging one nylon string was perfect--a Godin Grand Concert...I ain't f-ing around with no microphones unless I ABSOLUTELY have to.

I always plan on being amplified. I'd hate to find out I didn't have enough volume to sound good...amplification isn't just about volume either...

User Info Menu

^^^
    No mics except for vocals. Too big a pain.

Sheesh. Just did a wedding gig with a mic'd nylon string, straight into a crappy, borrowed, portable PA. .... outside! It was basically a disaster.

It still amazes me after all these years what a big difference basic sound setup, good chair, etc. makes on your actual playing ability....
    Last edited by matt.guitarteacher; 11-03-2014 at 09:46 AM.

User Info Menu

It's good to take along a foot pedestal, too, when you are playing classical guitar. At least, I find that foot position matters greatly. I take my own small PA because I trust its sound, for better or worse. It eliminates a variable, even it if means another trip to the car.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by matt.guitarteacher
    good chair
    This is why I'm not such a big fan of the classical position. Almost no chairs are tall enough for me to feel comfortable doing it. I prefer a strap, because I can stand if there's no suitable chair.

User Info Menu

I had one of the best jazz guitarists in my region play at my wedding. He played great and everyone enjoyed him, but he played a nylon classical instead of his usual archtop and I was a little disappointed, to tell the truth. I'm sure nobody else noticed or cared, but it was my wedding, and I knew the difference.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richb
    Wallpaper gigs are an embarrassment. My take is that if you can be replaced by recorded music, then you SHOULD be. Why would any sane person running a business pay somebody for such lame music that it's basically ignored by the patrons and functions EXACTLY the same as piped music.
    If you can't be compelling enough in the live arena, then stay in your home and play for the cat or dog - the last thing we need out here is more lame music that turn an already blase audience off even more to live music.
    And please, for christ's sake, dont play jazz for the public unless it's in a jazz club or for a specific "jazz" audience. The last thing we need is more innocent members of the public being subjected to a music that they pretty much hate.
    Have some respect for the audience.
    Because, with the right kind of tone dialed in, coupled with the right kind of attitude, attire, and personality, a solo performer can add an ambience that no canned music can. There are many restaurants in my locale that understand this and have been going strong for decades. If 90% of the patrons don't care, but 10% tap their feet and hum the melody,it's all good. The 10% get their music, the other 90% get their atmosphere without having their dinner ruined by egos insisting on being the sonic center of attention.

I bet your the kind of person that pipes in on a conversation, and then let's no one else get a word in.

User Info Menu

i do a lot of these gigs...for restaurants and high end hotels ... if you think it's just sitting doodling ...think again

you'll be surprised how many people ...basically all of them listen to what you doing , and since most of my solo gigs in this manner are in lets say "better /up market hotels and restaurants(Never sports bars for obvious reasons) the audience tend to be older and even if they not die hard jazz fans they all know the tunes and most will compliment certain tunes throughout the evening ...which shows they listening ......and i get people coming up and offering me gigs at private events ...so it's a great showcase too and i get followers so it draws people to the venues too.... us older folk enjoy soft music

so yes i too love these gigs ....

and it's way more than wallpaper music .... least the gigs i do ....

i play 100% live no loopers and definitely no backtracks .....

as Mr Beaumont said in his post "I don't play guitareoke" well said ....i buy into that too....

however if the gigs not a very quiet one where it's just me and guitar i often play some drums (very softly just bass drum and hi hat and some percussion while i play guitar....old school one "person" band ) and it works well...and the multi tasking draws attention and in turn more gigs and it adds a great vibe ........ however i do also do some gigs with a vocalist and even as a trio with vocalist and percussionist ...

gear wise ... i have a few rigs ...but most solo gigs i keep very simple either just powered PA speakers or a small guitar amp ... with a boss FDR1 as a guitar preamp .... i even have a battery powered rig (80W 2x12" so not that loud) for outdoor events

<font color="#333333">

<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); line-height: 22px; background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">
    Last edited by Keira Witherkay; 11-03-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    It's good to take along a foot pedestal, too, when you are playing classical guitar. At least, I find that foot position matters greatly. I take my own small PA because I trust its sound, for better or worse. It eliminates a variable, even it if means another trip to the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecj
    This is why I'm not such a big fan of the classical position. Almost no chairs are tall enough for me to feel comfortable doing it. I prefer a strap, because I can stand if there's no suitable chair.
    I had an A-frame which I had been practicing with for a while. The chair wasn't that bad, but I just couldn't get past the sound system. If felt kind of like trying to play piano without a sustain pedal. Just real uncomfortable for the classical stuff compared to just playing acoustically. I'd used the P.A. with my acoustic electric before, and was somewhat OK with it (we sang during the wedding with the steel string as well; no problem with that), but I guess the classical thing is slightly more of a stretch for me anyway. The extra variables were just enough to push toward being a really hairy playing situation.

My real point was that all of those little things are important and add up. Fundamentally, I know that and usually have my stuff together, but I don't have the equipment for the nylon string thing. I just overreached a little with the equipment and setup I had to work with.

Basically I'm saying that I strongly agree with getting a nylon string setup that you can just plug in. It would have been really nice just to have had a good amp to play through and no mic'ing in that setting.

User Info Menu

I am often surprised, when I think no one is listening at one of these gigs, how many people come up to me afterwards and say, "I really liked it when you played..." They really were listening. It's just not a concert. They were having fun eating dinner and having drinks with their family and friends and maybe I helped make their night out kind of special. Nothing wrong with that.

User Info Menu

To me, the biggest compliment that I can receive is to afterwards hear someone humming a melody that I had earlier played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by srlank
    I attained a 'wallpaper' gig at a couple of retirement homes through a community college district. This means that I'm paid consistently, except for when holidays occur. Obviously not a real high-powered gig, but I get to play and get paid a reasonable amount of money for it. I rarely see people posting about these types of gigs on JGF. Guess it's a little embarrassing LOL.
    My day job is in nursing homes and I am always pleased when someone is there playing music. I've got dozens of clients who can't remember most of what's going on, are depressed, often living a really unhappy life. And then someone starts playing music and the years and the sadness fall away for a little while. They are walking and dancing again with their sweeties. Be proud of those gigs, man, because you are doing someone a world of good...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    God forbid we play the great jazz for the ears of the unwashed masses!
    I'd be delighted just to be able to play great jazz. ;-)

User Info Menu

Very creative, Keira - I like it. First time I've seen the stick and fingers approach.

User Info Menu

I have to second Solo Flight's comment above.

Very creative and most importantly, is sounded good.

Never underestimate a passionate musician's ingenuity and inventiveness...

User Info Menu

I think that's a testament to Keira's playing, ain't it? I mean, that could have easily been gimmicky...instead, it was just perfectly musical.