The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 88

User Info Menu

I just swallowed my gum.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Richb's profile says he has not made any friends yet; he's not likely to...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KEOKI
    I just swallowed my gum.
    Me, too! I have no problem with providing background music for a non listening crowd - at least I'm a real musician and not a recording and I'm playing my instrument and the kind of music I want to play whether it's chord solos on standards or pop tunes or Chet tunes (which people really like, BTW) or fingerstyle ragtime. And, remember, someone recorded that piped music - does it make them less of a musician because they're creating the stuff instead of out scrambling for smoky bar gigs that pay peanuts. Besides, I think it gives an establishment a little bit of class to have a live musician providing soft dinner music.

And, Richb - please note, that in my world (and probably the world of a lot of folks on this forum), there is no jazz audience to play for and no jazz clubs for them to frequent. If you're in the big city, it may be a different story, but for a lot of us, we have to play wherever we can whenever we can and hope we can make a couple $$$ doing it. I admit, it's a sad state of affairs, but that's the real world as I see it. In my area, if you don'r play blues, you don't play, period. No country, no jazz, no pop, no nothin'. There are a couple of clubs that advertise 'jazz jams' but the only players who show up are the same tired blues guys who may know how to play 'Watermelon Man'.

User Info Menu

My dream gig has always been to sit in a small lounge or restaurant and play pretty chords all evening - Moonlight In Vermont, While We're Young, A Nightingale Sang..., Stars Fell On Alabama, Polkadots and Moonbeams, etc. I'm not an improviser for the sake of improvising - I just like to do nice arrangements of pretty melodies with pleasant sounding chords - maybe you wouldn't call me a true 'jazz' musician but I really don't care - I do what I enjoy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richb
    Wallpaper gigs are an embarrassment. My take is that if you can be replaced by recorded music, then you SHOULD be. Why would any sane person running a business pay somebody for such lame music that it's basically ignored by the patrons and functions EXACTLY the same as piped music.
    If you can't be compelling enough in the live arena, then stay in your home and play for the cat or dog - the last thing we need out here is more lame music that turn an already blase audience off even more to live music.
    And please, for christ's sake, dont play jazz for the public unless it's in a jazz club or for a specific "jazz" audience. The last thing we need is more innocent members of the public being subjected to a music that they pretty much hate.
    Have some respect for the audience.
    I must say I havent laugh that much in a long time... Hilarious post. Did your father forced you to go to a restaurant where you had to eat green vegetables while hearing a jazz guitarist?

User Info Menu

My own personal take on using loopers* and backing tracks is: don't I will actually leave a place if someone is using a looper for backup, or even worse, backing tracks :shudder: A good part of the joy of playing is the interaction between the players. Backing tracks rob you AND your audience of that experience.

However, that's just me and you should do what you want.

* I've been using long delay loopers for soundscape work solo and in bands for the last 25+ yrs. Just never as a substitute for other players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Richb
    Wallpaper gigs are an embarrassment.
    Hmm, you must not play out much. Art openings, parties (private and corporate), romantic restaurants, most society gigs, corporate events, etc. All of these are "wallpaper" gigs and they tend to be the best paying as well. In these instances the function of the music is to create atmosphere, not be the focus.

User Info Menu

Anybody thinks looping is easy or lame must not have tried it much IMO. I bow down to the loopers -- wish I could do it 1/2 way decent. But no . . .or at least not yet . . . and I don't really want to invest that much time in the tech truth be told. So in the mean time my solo gig remains really really short LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tejastani
    Richb's profile says he has not made any friends yet; he's not likely to...
    I think its his way of checking in and saying hello.

User Info Menu

I've tried a couple loopers - a Jamman (I think) and a Ditto. I returned them both. I figured I could do the same thing by entering chords into Band In A Box and and letting my computer provide backup for practicing. I don't really see a need for one in a live situation when I mostly play chord solos or Chet tunes - a bass player would be handy occasionally, however. They're hard to find around here, too - the only acoustic bass players around here (the few that there are) all play bluegrass and if you leave the key of 'G', they break out in a sweat! I'd love to work up a duo with a good bass man but haven't found one interested in (or capable of) playing anything but blues and classic rock (whatever that is). It's a hard world out there..............

User Info Menu

Looping is not easy. But for the most part I don't like to listen to it. If someone is amazingly good at layering and creating a whole song with their voice or something, that's great. But after the novelty wears off I'm bored. I'd rather hear a jazz guitarist play the instrument all on it's own.
    Last edited by henryrobinett; 10-27-2014 at 03:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by henryrobinett
    Looping is not easy. But for the most part I don't like to listen to it. If someone us amazingly good at layering and creating a whole song with their voice or something, that's great. But after the novelty wears off I'm bored. I'd rather hear a jazz guitarist play the instrument all on it's own.

I agree wholeheartedly!

User Info Menu

I hung out with artists years ago..so some time I would set up in their studio while they worked..instead of a radio or cd I would provide their music..and if they had an opening in a gallery I was sometime invited to play..some even said I was part of the art piece..wow..living art..

I have done restaurants .. the noise factor to be considered..two 45min sets $50 in that neighborhood..of all the choices you can have to expose folks to your music try them all..i found art galleries (not openings) to be wonderful as most have nice acoustics..you have to get around the manager/directors who don't quite understand what your trying to do..some say they would love it..but..due to insurance concerns!!..insurance concerns?? talk about creativity..
    Last edited by wolflen; 10-27-2014 at 03:32 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Ellis
    I've tried a couple loopers - a Jamman (I think) and a Ditto. I returned them both. I figured I could do the same thing by entering chords into Band In A Box and and letting my computer provide backup for practicing. I don't really see a need for one in a live situation when I mostly play chord solos or Chet tunes - a bass player would be handy occasionally, however. They're hard to find around here, too - the only acoustic bass players around here (the few that there are) all play bluegrass and if you leave the key of 'G', they break out in a sweat! I'd love to work up a duo with a good bass man but haven't found one interested in (or capable of) playing anything but blues and classic rock (whatever that is). It's a hard world out there..............
    My wife & I do a lot of duos but we prefer playing with a bass player if one is available. Occasionally, we do a quartet for people who we've worked for often using BIAB (drum & bass only) to work with. Also, our home is in a retirement town with an audience who prefers hearing music they grew up with. For us, that really helps because we know and play a lot of old standards. ALL of the other people who live here will not listen to anything but country music so we always include some country music as well.

wiz

User Info Menu

My dream solo gig is being a DJ where I push some buttons to play music that people love to have droning in the background, as I sit in the corner and count my money, making little pig noises while I eat bacon.

User Info Menu

Wow! This thread has sure taken a strange turn. I thought this was a Jazz guitar forum! Is it turning into a place for DJ wannabees to hang out or a Jazz is for entertainment only?

The wallpaper gigs I have done in the past were very satisfying. I played in the same restaurant for over two years and had built a nice following. The only reason I walked away was because I moved to a different city. The restaurant owner loved me; not because I was handsome or even talented. It was because I brought in paying customers. While I was playing a kind of background music, it must have been somewhat entertaining because my tip jar was never empty at the end of the gig, and I would often get applause and compliments on my playing. I also handed out my card quite a bit and got some really nice gigs out of it.

Pushing buttons and eating bacon might satisfy one's tummy and even their wallet, but I would suspect that a bunch of us here play for the joy of playing and the passion for making music as well as for financial gain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsclosson
    Wow! This thread has sure taken a strange turn. I thought this was a Jazz guitar forum! Is it turning into a place for DJ wannabees to hang out or a Jazz is for entertainment only?

The wallpaper gigs I have done in the past were very satisfying. I played in the same restaurant for over two years and had built a nice following. The only reason I walked away was because I moved to a different city. The restaurant owner loved me; not because I was handsome or even talented. It was because I brought in paying customers. While I was playing a kind of background music, it must have been somewhat entertaining because my tip jar was never empty at the end of the gig, and I would often get applause and compliments on my playing. I also handed out my card quite a bit and got some really nice gigs out of it.

Pushing buttons and eating bacon might satisfy one's tummy and even their wallet, but I would suspect that a bunch of us here play for the joy of playing and the passion for making music as well as for financial gain.
    Ha! Ha!

rsclosson,

Don't be taken aback by some of the comments you read! Some on this forum like to express their unique sense of humor in their posts.

Personally, I can appreciate a well-timed injection of humor, even the kind that makes you wonder if the originator might have been having a drink or two (or more) of their favorite beverage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    My dream solo gig is being a DJ where I push some buttons to play music that people love to have droning in the background, as I sit in the corner and count my money, making little pig noises while I eat bacon.
    You had me at bacon.

As for jazz only being played in "jazz" clubs in front of a "jazz audience," well that's just laugh out loud funny. Kinda Great-Pumpkin-esque, wouldn't you say? Does the jazz club have to be sincere?

Got news for ya...even in the coolest "jazz club," half the audience is a mix of those who A. wandered in off the street B. Is having a night on the town and wanted to do something "cultured" (or have a drink somewhere "quiet" before or after the dinner/play) or C. was brought their by the person in the relationship who actually likes jazz.

God forbid we play the great jazz for the ears of the unwashed masses!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AlsoRan
    Ha! Ha!

rsclosson,

Don't be taken aback by some of the comments you read! Some on this forum like to express their unique sense of humor in their posts.

Personally, I can appreciate a well-timed injection of humor, even the kind that makes you wonder if the originator might have been having a drink or two (or more) of their favorite beverage.

I guess my humor detector wasn't working. Next time I will start off reading with a drink or two of my favorite beverage.

User Info Menu

I have done lots of these gigs. I cut my chops doing 50 Sunday nights in a row at a restaurant/bar in my hometown all by myself. A guitar, an amp, and me. I also sing and people like that, so I use an acoustic amp and plug a mic into the second channel.

When I see someone using backing tracks or lots of effects, I think something must be wrong with them--they must need to cover up something.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    "Now all you sucker DJs
    Who think you're fly
    There's got to be a reason
    And we know the reason why

You try to put on those airs and act real cool
    But you've got to realize
    That you're acting like fools
    Give us music we can use it
    We need to dance
    We don't have the time
    For psychological romance
    No romance, no romance
    No romance for me, mama
    Come on baby tell me what's the word
    Word up
    Everybody say when you hear the call
    You've got to get it underway"

-Cameo
    Last edited by Stevebol; 10-27-2014 at 12:51 PM.

User Info Menu

I am looking to get into these types of gigs as well. I used to do some "guitararoke" type stuff at coffee houses a number of years ago, but am more interested in just guitar & amp. I don't feel embarrassed by it at all.

FWIW, I also have a jazz quartet. We have an album out, play mostly originals, got some nice reviews, and play local concert series, local outdoor festivals, and have self-financed sit down jazz concerts in smaller (100-200 seat) halls, and made money. Nothing wrong with playing music wherever, especially if people can be entertained and enhance the atmosphere.

User Info Menu

I played a "wallpaper" gig just this Saturday at a private birthday party at an individual's house. The band (2 guitars & upright bass) was on the second floor landing overlooking the living room. We played gypsy jazz, and even though we were not the focus, folks would applaud and would've danced had there been the room. One of the stranger performance spaces I've played

A gaming company also came in and setup a roulette wheel and other gaming tables with at least 3 dealers (I think it was a fund raiser for charity).

User Info Menu

Never done a solo gig.
    Couple questions, how many sets do you have to do and do you have to talk to customers between sets?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmo
    I have done lots of these gigs. I cut my chops doing 50 Sunday nights in a row at a restaurant/bar in my hometown all by myself. A guitar, an amp, and me. I also sing and people like that, so I use an acoustic amp and plug a mic into the second channel.

When I see someone using backing tracks or lots of effects, I think something must be wrong with them--they must need to cover up something.
    I want to get into this but mix it up. About half the tunes just vocal and guitar but the others do something with a looper.