The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 85

User Info Menu

I just picked up an Ibanez JSM10 John Scofield signature model. It's unbelievable. The fit and finish of this guitar is something that you'd expect out of something costing twice as much. The tone is amazing. This is a new version of the Scofield model (the old one was the JSM100). There's a switch for the neck pickup that allows you to run it in series, parallel, or single coil mode. (Single coil is my favorite so far).
    Ibanez JSM10 John Scofield signature model-jsm10_vys_12_01-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice.
    Congrats.
    is the nut metal-bone?

User Info Menu

I always think of Ibbys as having skinny necks. How is it?

User Info Menu

It seems to be very similar in spec to the AS153, but with the Sco headstock, a different pickguard and the jack shifted onto the top. Although the blurb claims the pickups are Sco-spec Super 58s, the spec list has them as Super 58 Customs - the same as the AS153, as are the switching options. However the neck is slightly less skinny than the 153, 1 mm thicker at the 1st fret and 2 mm thicker at the 12th.

I would love to A-B one against my 153 to check out the tone. If the pickups really are upgraded, it will be very tempting.

It's a regular bone nut, not the bone/brass. I'd love to A/B one against a bone/brass to see the difference. You can buy the bone/brass nut, so it'd be an easy upgrade. I'm going to need to play it a lot before I decide if that's something I need to do.

The pickups are fantastic. I don't know what the difference between the sco-spec and the regular 58s are, but the tone is heavenly.

The neck is pretty chunky. Moreso than either of my Fenders. I'll have to check it against my Epi Joe Pass, but it's definitely not your standard metal-style bit of nothing. I love the string spacing. It's wider than my Fenders, and the fretboard radius is big enough that you don't really feel the curve that much (which I like). It's got a lot of similarities to the neck on my old PRS Hollowbody I, which I loved.

Newsense - I always thought the Sco model was supposed to be a tweaked AS-200. I've never seen the 153.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    It seems to be very similar in spec to the AS153, but with the Sco headstock, a different pickguard and the jack shifted onto the top. Although the blurb claims the pickups are Sco-spec Super 58s, the spec list has them as Super 58 Customs - the same as the AS153, as are the switching options. However the neck is slightly less skinny than the 153, 1 mm thicker at the 1st fret and 2 mm thicker at the 12th.

I would love to A-B one against my 153 to check out the tone. If the pickups really are upgraded, it will be very tempting.
    If you look closely you can see they are Super 58 Customs the neck has S58-N on it and the bridge has S58-B. Super 58's have plain covers.
    Last edited by Para; 10-25-2014 at 04:55 PM.

User Info Menu

Wow, what a deal for a nice pro level guitar. $1099 street, w/hsc.

User Info Menu

I have the JSM100 and it's an incredible guitar. I believe the notable differences between the 10 and 100:
    - Prestige Neck
    - Compound Radius
    - Gotoh 510 Bridge & Tuners
    - Side Jack
    - Bone/Brass

The JSM10 neck is a bit thicker, whereas the JSM100 neck is a bit wider. JSM100 lacks the tri-sound option for the neck.

User Info Menu

I want !!

User Info Menu

Hmm, musicians friend says, "Body type: Semi-hollow or chambered body", chambered? I assumed this was in the semi-hollow 335 camp sound/weight wise.

User Info Menu

It's a semi-hollow body.

User Info Menu

is it made in china? I'm assuming it is at that price. Anyone know?

User Info Menu

Price...I think made in China.
    I have orginal As-200 /1982/ made in Japan.

User Info Menu

The JSM100 is Japanese and the JSM10 is Chinese.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Joe
    Newsense - I always thought the Sco model was supposed to be a tweaked AS-200. I've never seen the 153.
    Yes, but the JSM10 is related to the AS153 in the same way that the JSM100 is related to the AS200, in terms of build location (MIC vs MIJ), price and cosmetics (which may, or may not = quality). The finish on the JSM10 (vintage yellow sunburst) appears identical to the AS153's antique yellow sunburst, hence one might suppose they come off the same production line.
    Last edited by newsense; 10-26-2014 at 05:20 AM.

User Info Menu

According to the Hoshino parts list, the pickups on the JSM are Super 58, not Customs, with a very different part number to those on the AS153. However, the part number is not the same as on the JSM100. So I think the Ibanez blurb is correct in this case, the pickups are adapted from the JSM100.

Oh, and according to the parts list it looks as though manufacture of the AS153 may have been discontinued in june of this year. So that would leave the new JSM10 as the only ~$1000 thin-line semi-hollow in the Ibanez range.
    Last edited by newsense; 10-26-2014 at 05:51 AM.

I didn't know it was made in China. That helps to explain the low price. The workmanship is top notch, so hats off to the Chinese luthiers.

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Price...I think made in China.
    I have orginal As-200 /1982/ made in Japan.
    Nice. A friend of mine has one of those. Fantastic axe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newsense
    According to the Hoshino parts list, the pickups on the JSM are Super 58, not Customs, with a very different part number to those on the AS153. However, the part number is not the same as on the JSM100. So I think the Ibanez blurb is correct in this case, the pickups are adapted from the JSM100.

Oh, and according to the parts list it looks as though manufacture of the AS153 may have been discontinued in june of this year. So that would leave the new JSM10 as the only ~$1000 thin-line semi-hollow in the Ibanez range.
    If you look at the picture you can see they are customs they have S58-N and S58-B on them the Super 58's don't have it I have enough of them to know.

User Info Menu

Top are Super 58 Customs and the bottom are Super 58's

Ibanez JSM10 John Scofield signature model-super-58-customs-jpgIbanez JSM10 John Scofield signature model-super-58s-jpg

User Info Menu

Is the MIC/MIJ numbering distinction the same for the Pat Metheny models? is the PM-200 MIJ and the PM-2 MIC?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Para
    If you look at the picture you can see they are customs they have S58-N and S58-B on them the Super 58's don't have it I have enough of them to know.
    Maybe so, but it doesn't explain Hoshino's own parts website, which clearly states that the replacement pickups for the JSM10 are Super 58, whereas for other ArtStar models it gives the relacement part as Super 58 Custom. My AS model also has the engraved Super 58 Customs, but my AFJ91, whch allegedly has a single Super 58 Custom, isn't engraved.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Is the MIC/MIJ numbering distinction the same for the Pat Metheny models? is the PM-200 MIJ and the PM-2 MIC?
    Yeah just like the lgb 30 and lgb 300

User Info Menu

They also get it wrong on other models and on at least 2 of their top of the range made in Japan by Fujigen guitars they have the wrong specs and body sizes on their site so you can't take a lot of notice of what they put on there. I currently have 5 Ibanez guitars an LGB300, an LGB30 an AF200, an AF151 and an AFJ95, if you look at the photo the OP posted you can clearly see they are customs but I'm obviously wasting my time as you know better.
    Last edited by Para; 10-27-2014 at 04:14 AM.

So what exactly is the supposed difference between the 58 and the 58 custom?