The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 29

User Info Menu

It didnt make me play like Ted, and condition wise it is far from mint ;-) but still nice to have, great sounding and playing wartime Epiphone.... I made the pickguard & bracket myself other parts original....

Ted Greene's Epiphone Deluxe-image-jpgTed Greene's Epiphone Deluxe-image-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A little TLC, guitar polish, and it will spruce right up. Enjoy the ride!

User Info Menu

Have you found out if he recorded with it? She's sweet but even sweeter knowing it was his.

User Info Menu

Being that it was Ted Greene's guitar , it expects a lot of its players. It's a hell of an addition to your museum.

IMO nothing beats a vintage Epiphone. Congratulations!

User Info Menu

I have a wonderful personal experience with that guitar. I spent one evening about 20 years ago talking about guitars, music and theory with Ted in his apartment. that was the guitar he used thought that evening. He sat on a cushion on the floor and when he wasn't playing he would just lay the guitar on the floor. It was a great evening for me and I'm still working through a couple of the concepts that he opened up for me. He was a very deep well.
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 10-21-2014 at 01:55 PM.

User Info Menu

All Ted's guitars were player's guitars. I remember my last lesson with him I was early and he was still with someone else he let me sit in one of his music rooms. All sorts of old archtops and other instruments, Ted said play anything you want.

User Info Menu

>Have you found out if he recorded with it?

No, I have seen pictures but no recordings that I know of. Actually I didnt really know he played anything else than Teles and Guilds but apparently this was also a favorite. I like the older Epis myself and this is a really good one.

>I have a wonderful personal experience with that guitar. I spent one evening about 20 years ago talking about guitars, music and theory with Ted in his apartment. that was the guitar he used thought that evening. He sat on a cushion on the floor and when he wasn't playing he would just lay the guitar on the floor. It was a great evening for me and I'm still working through a couple of the concepts that he opened up for me. He was a very deep well.

Jim that is a really nice story, thanks for sharing ! I have already heard from several of Teds friends they know the guitar and say that it was on of Teds favorites. It had a DeArmond pickup at the time which I did not get with it, but I intend to play it acoustically anyways.
    Last edited by fws6; 10-21-2014 at 05:42 PM.

User Info Menu

What magnificent instrument! Congratulations! Beautiful all by itself, but with the connection to Ted, that is just really, really special! Play it in good health. (If you should ever tire of it, please consider selling it here on the forum!)

User Info Menu

I owned Ted's Ibanez 2460NT. it was a favorite of his, a birthday gift from his wife, but in the end I'm a 25 1/2" scale guy and just couldn't bond w/the short 24 3/4" scale. it now happily belongs to another Ted Greene admirer.

congrats on the Deluxe Frank, looks like it's seen quite a few lessons, @ the very least....
    Last edited by wintermoon; 10-22-2014 at 01:10 AM.

User Info Menu

Epi Deluxes are fab! Would love to see a pic of the back/body/neck. Please?

Ted Greene's Epiphone Deluxe-epideluxe-jpg
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 10-22-2014 at 10:14 AM.

User Info Menu

sweet!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound

Ted Greene's Epiphone Deluxe-epideluxe-jpg
    those are Emperors in that photo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    those are Emperors in that photo

The guitars or the men?

User Info Menu

When I was 17 back in the 1970's my guitar teacher introduced me to a GREAT JAZZ guitarist by the name of John Grey. I had the priveledge of seeing and more importantly hearing him sit in w/ some local New Orleans heavy weight musicians. Even though they were from different Jazz styles, John Grey easily adapted on his 40's Epiphone Deluxe w/ suspended p/up. One of the most memorable musical experiences of my 57 years!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    The guitars or the men?

if they are jazz guitarists....then they are Princes.

And here am I, only a Duke. Well maybe an Arch(top) Duke.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound

A bit too dark now to make nice pics outside, but I made some shots ... Lots of flame ...

Ted Greene's Epiphone Deluxe-image-jpgTed Greene's Epiphone Deluxe-image-jpg

User Info Menu

Nice.
    I'm dying to locate a prewar Deluxe.

User Info Menu

sent you a PM (not for this guitar but another)

User Info Menu

I've long desired either a Triumph, Deluxe, or Broadway.

What's the direction to go on one of these? Recently it was mentioned by a luthier whose restored them that a pre-war model is the way to go. Any thoughts you can share?

User Info Menu

B2B- I've had a 37 Triumph for some time and I really like it.
    I think most agree that the upper models from the mid-30s to the post war period (clearly before Epi moved out of NYC) are the most desirable.
    At least that's what George Gruhn says.
    The market is slow right now so this might be the time if there is some guitar cash lying around to pick up a nice one at a better price.
    There's lots of Triumphs on the market right now. Some Broadways. Few Deluxes.
    PM me if you wanna chat more but fws6 is really the authority on Epis and other archtops of that era.

User Info Menu

You have bought so many nice guitars over the last years, why not try a vintage Epi one time ? If you follow ebay or reverb , 1940s broadways and especially triumphs pop up all the time at very reasonable prices. If you find a good Triumph youll be amazed

the prewar guitars have the best woods and workmanship, but no trussrods and no cutaways, so it it is a trade off between the quality and the versality. Inhave personally had mostly the 45-53 models and really found some excellent guitars as well

I think Epiphone was a somewhat smaller operation than Gibson was and the guitars vary more. The old Gibsons are usually a bit more consistent, Epiphone you find a few that are so-so, most are on par with the Gibsons, and then you also find a few that are just phenomenal.

User Info Menu

Ah thanks for the compliment, but I am no authority. I have had a few but there are many on this board who had / know more than me

User Info Menu

I've played a few Triumphs in for repair at one of Joe V's repair luthier's. Each were canon's.

But I've yet to locate the right Triumph at the right price. The "right" one for me would be without crack repairs. OTOH, I don't want to acquire one at $3k and above...those are a common find.

User Info Menu

fws6,
    Being that I am also a vintage Epiphone enthusiast, I'm curious as to how others set up and use their instruments. How do you set yours up and what styles do you play on it?

For a while, I had mine set up with 13s, which made it ideal for chord playing, but a bit too stiff for chord melody and fluid bebop work. Now, I've decided to raise the action a bit and go with 12s in order to facilitate more comfortable and fluid playing, but the change has resulted in a marked decline in volume.

One final question: What does "fws6" mean?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    if they are jazz guitarists....then they are Princes.

And here am I, only a Duke. Well maybe an Arch(top) Duke.
    I thought those were the Brothers Strathopolous.