The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 41 of 41

User Info Menu

I wouldn't consider the Gibson Johnny A, nor even the Eastman El Rey archtops in the true sense of carved acoustic type of guitar. I've owned both the J.A. and El Rey 2 and while fine instruments they tend to not have much of an acoustic voice. The Gibson L-5's that Danny W. and the Victor Baker 14" above seem to be true carved acoustic instruments. And there are luthiers such as Bill Gagnon, Mark Campellone, Bill Comins, etc. that also build small carved instruments. But they do cost $5K and above. Eastman and Peerless offer smaller guitars under $3k

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    The Peerless Sunset and Godin Premiere are both smaller thinline jazz guitars, both under $1500.

I appreciate the comfort value of the thin body, but I wouldn't get much benefit from a bout less than 15". That size is the most comfortable for me hands down.
    Yes, 15" is just about right for me.

User Info Menu

I have a T186 also and that block is just under the bridge and stop tail, lovely guitar. There are quite a number of very nice looking ones up for sale now. A lovely 15 inch blonde flamed top with 59's in particular at 1k...
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 10-21-2014 at 06:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I wouldn't consider the Gibson Johnny A, nor even the Eastman El Rey archtops in the true sense of carved acoustic type of guitar. I've owned both the J.A. and El Rey 2 and while fine instruments they tend to not have much of an acoustic voice.
    It's possible that the one you have played is a dud because mine is an extremely resonant fully carved solid wood instrument whose electric tone is far more reminiscent of a classic jazz box than a semi hollowbody guitar. The instruments in my collection which I used to reach this conclusion include a Hofner Verythin Classic semi hollow guitar, an Epiphone Broadway Elitist, and a Heritage 575. The unplugged tone that it most resembled was that of the Epiphone Broadway Elititst. The Heritage 575 had a brighter tone while the Hofner Verythin had more of a solidbody tone due to its center block.

What I will say about the Eastman El Rey is that it doesn't look like a classic jazz box the way Ibanez GB10 or Victor Baker guitars do.

User Info Menu

The Johnny A design is much like PRS Hollow Body, except the back and sides are the same piece of mahogany. They both have a square block under their tail piece rather than parallel or X bracing as in an acoustic type of guitar. They also have quite thick tops and backs which tend not to vibrate as much. This is a good thing because they can be played very loudly w/ distortion w/out feedback issues. Great versatile guitars, but tend to be aimed at rock/blues more than say a Johnny Smith or even a L-5CES type of tone.

User Info Menu

Some time back the Fret-King Elise JE was mentioned as fitting, more or less, into this 'small' slot. Semi-hollow, ebony board, 45mm nut (1 3/4",)flexible pickup system. Not wild about the looks but nothings perfect, I guess. Anyone bought one or considering it? I'd be interested to know what it weighs, its supposed to be lighter than the standard Elise. The increased price of the Peerless Maestro knocks it right out of court for me, which is a pity.
    If Harrison did his 14.5 inch semi with the 16" style cutaway I'd be really tempted. Daniel Slaman made/makes the Jazz compact and the prototype Franz plays, but a bit costly now, for me.

User Info Menu

Small-body?
    Hollow?
    Archtop?

Here's your deal of the day:
    https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/sale/...rice-drop.html
    …poof! Gone already.
    Carpe Diem.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 10-21-2014 at 05:02 PM.

User Info Menu

(reponse to Victor Baker): Pretty rare to hear a luthier that can not only build a good guitar, but play it well. Nice work. I think part of my reluctance to go near luthiers has always been that mostly , they aren't guitarists. Good tune, as well. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    The Johnny A design is much like PRS Hollow Body, except the back and sides are the same piece of mahogany. They both have a square block under their tail piece rather than parallel or X bracing as in an acoustic type of guitar. They also have quite thick tops and backs which tend not to vibrate as much. This is a good thing because they can be played very loudly w/ distortion w/out feedback issues. Great versatile guitars, but tend to be aimed at rock/blues more than say a Johnny Smith or even a L-5CES type of tone.
    I agree--my Johnny A's are terrific for standup rock gigs, but I don't care to use them for jazz.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Danny W. if anybody has an informed opinion about Gibson guitars you are the expert! While I've owned my share of Gibson guitars both vintage and new,it pales in comparison to your collection of fine Gibsons! Must be hard to choose just one for a gig,lol!

User Info Menu

Best example I can recall of a Harrison. I like my VB Model 15 a lot, I like it so much I am getting a second one.

User Info Menu

Benedetto has the Andy model, small size but big archtop sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikeSF
    Benedetto has the Andy model, small size but big archtop sound.
    Unfortunately, those have not been available for a couple of years. They only make the "Andy Elite" now which is like $12K, whereas the original Andy was under $2K and actually looked like a pretty good choice for a gigging guitar!

User Info Menu

The fujigen MFA-FP is also a small body archtop. Landscape also makes one. So they are out there.

User Info Menu

I believe that Eastman made a similar model for the Japanese market as well.

User Info Menu

While I pine for a Harrison, I'll have to persevere with my Eastman El Rey 1. Actually, I absolutely love the size of the body, the neck width and neck angle. I had the electronics reworked, now I've just dropped it off with a rather reputable luthier who will refinish it, add a custom pickguard, change the angle of the pickup to align with the pickguard and strings, fabricate an ebony bridge and a new tailpiece. It'll probably cost what the guitar was worth new, but it will be rather special when complete next spring.