The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 33

User Info Menu

I'm open to suggestions for a small, lightweight (under 10 pound) SOLID STATE amp head to use as a spare. Reverb would be nice but not a deal breaker. I presently use a G&K MB200, 200 watt bass head that weighs in at 2 pounds along with whichever cabinet I'm in the mood for at the moment, plus either a Boss FRV-1 reverb pedal or a Behringer DR400 which gives you reverb and delay at the same time (I use this mostly for pedal steel). Evans is nice but the heads are few and far between. I also see the Acoustic image stuff draws a lot of praise but they may be out of my price range, even used, and, in my area, they are nonexistent. Anyway, I'm open to suggestions so give it your best shot. BTW, I've owned and liked the Cube series stuff (I had a Cube 60 for along time and really like it) so that may be an option in a pinch but would prefer a head. Tubes are great, but I just don't want to deal with the weight - hybrid maybe? Does anyone make a class 'D' power amp with a tube frontend? I may look at Quilter Labs, too. Just wondering what else is out there.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If for a backup checkout the Quilter Tone Block especially if you a pedal kind of player so you have your front-end covered.

Quilter Amps

User Info Menu

I have a Quilter Aviator head -- great amp.

User Info Menu

Skip, there's a very nice Mambo head currently for sale on this Forum (I was the original owner, although it's passed through several hands since). 180watts, very small and lightweight, pretty good on-board reverb and it sounds great. Very good price as well, much less than what I paid.

(Given that you're a steel player, I assume you've seen Tim Marcus' new Milkman hybrid steel amp. I've wondered how that would transition over to the archtop jazz guitar, although I know that's not what you're looking for.)

User Info Menu

A friend of mine works for the company that distributes the Taurus Stomp-Head amps and he's talked about sending me one of the non-high gain versions for a test drive. These may have a lot of potential in the light weight amp sweepstakes. There's several models and the 2CL weighs roughly 2 lbs (1.8 KG)

Taurus : SH-2.CL

User Info Menu

If you go for a Quilter Tone Block I highly recommend a preamp tone shaper in front of it. Or for any of those little solidstate pedal sized power amp doodads.

User Info Menu

I believe there's a used Quilter Micro Pro 200 head for $495 on TGP Amp Forum at the moment.

User Info Menu

Not as cheap as microbass amps but has tube preamp: Demeter Mighty Minnie 4.5 lbs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    Not as cheap as microbass amps but has tube preamp: Demeter Mighty Minnie 4.5 lbs
    I was really into the Demeter Mighty Minnie still am a little. I talked to someone who has one and they were very positive about it, their only complaint was the cage on top is not very strong so have to be careful how you transport it. For me it's a little pricey compared to some of the other mini amps. It's also quite a bit bigger than some of the other mini amps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    I was really into the Demeter Mighty Minnie still am a little. I talked to someone who has one and they were very positive about it, their only complaint was the cage on top is not very strong so have to be careful how you transport it. For me it's a little pricey compared to some of the other mini amps. It's also quite a bit bigger than some of the other mini amps.
    I don't have it, I am happy with my tube preamp plus (microbass or EHX 44 Magnum) setup if I want very portable. They cost me still about half the price of Mighty Minnie.

User Info Menu

How about a Crate Power Block, since you say this is for a backup amp. You can get those used for around $100-150.

User Info Menu

There are lots of possibilities. My favorite is the old Polytone Mini Brain. They are small, have reverb, and they have the Polytone sound because they are simply the MiniBrute preamp/amp in a head-only package. You can find them up for sale periodically. I believe there is one on eBay now.

User Info Menu

I have a Carvin BX250 for a spare. Not a bad for my purposes, though I haven't had it long enough to opine regarding the reliability. Doesn't sound bad through my RE cabinets.

250 watts; 3.2 lbs. About the same size as my AI head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rictroll
    I have a Carvin BX250 for a spare. Not a bad for my purposes, though I haven't had it long enough to opine regarding the reliability. Doesn't sound bad through my RE cabinets.

250 watts; 3.2 lbs. About the same size as my AI head.
    AI is pretty flat response right ? I have a BX250 too and I am trying to figure out what the "flat" settings for it are. Did you A/B them ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by medblues
    AI is pretty flat response right ? I have a BX250 too and I am trying to figure out what the "flat" settings for it are. Did you A/B them ?
    The AI is pretty flat. The BX250, as well.

I have run them side by side in a stereo configuration through RE cabinets (a 10 and a 12) and was able to dial in the Carvin to match my usual AI settings. While similar, I do prefer the sound of the AI as it seems richer and more transparent.

But as an inexpensive spare it's exactly what I was looking for.

I should play around with it more to see what it can do. It may have character of its own that will appeal...

User Info Menu

The AI is pretty flat. The BX250, as well.

I have run them side by side in a stereo configuration through RE cabinets (a 10 and a 12) and was able to dial in the Carvin to match my usual AI settings. While similar, I do prefer the sound of the AI as it seems richer and more transparent.

But as an inexpensive spare it's exactly what I was looking for.

I should play around with it more to see what it can do. It may have character of its own that will appeal...
    What are the settings you use to match the BX250 to the AI ? (sorry if this is a thread diversion)

User Info Menu

Medblues, I'll have to follow up on your question. I don't have access to my gear right now.

User Info Menu

Quilter Aviator head is excellent. 9 pounds. A rather nice reverb in there too.
    MD

User Info Menu

Medblues, I'll have to follow up on your question. I don't have access to my gear right now.
    Thank you in advance

User Info Menu

Have you checked out the Electro Harmonix Magnum 44 (http://www.ehx.com/products/44-magnum)? One of the reviewers on Amazon suggested it sounded like a Polytone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bharris22
    Have you checked out the Electro Harmonix Magnum 44 (http://www.ehx.com/products/44-magnum)? One of the reviewers on Amazon suggested it sounded like a Polytone.
    I found it very noisy, especially around a bad power source..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bharris22
    I have both but did not A/B using the same cab. 44 Magnum's bright switch is supposed to be an off switch for a treble filter but I don't know the circuit. I use the Polytone mostly with its cut switch engaged and I think it sounds darker than the 44 Magnum. It also has much more headroom than the 44 Magnum but with a high-efficiency speaker I could imagine 44 Magnum coming pretty close to the Polytone. If the gig has a speaker cab, I would take the 44 Magnum and a Pod or a tube preamp. If the gig does not have a cab, depending on the application Polytone might be as portable as 44 Magnum plus a cab and possibly cleaner (more headroom). Keep in mind Polytone also has a nice effect loop so it would accept a power amp in from a modeler or a tube preamp.

User Info Menu

for a jazz guitar head try the fender 65 deluxe reverb head .I own one and its loud, clean and correctly voiced for guitar and it is not heavy.No solid state amp can produce this lush and punchy sound, nor its subtle dynamics.

User Info Menu

Skip, your posts got me interested in the GK BM200 and I managed to pick one up used a few days ago. I really like it. I'm not crazy about the fan and I wish the DI had a level contro but the sound through my RE cab is the best sound I've gotten with my Heritage. Next I'm planning to try the Carvin BX250 since it has both the DI level control and no fan. If these types of amps really work for you then my thought is either get the Carvin or a second GK. You can't beat the price and they sound great.

User Info Menu

I'm very interested in how the GK MB200 and Carvin BX250 sound for jazz guitar, too. Can someone please post some audio clips? Also, how would these compare with the Quilter Power Block?

Thanks!