The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 62

User Info Menu

Any suggestions for the best archtop (tone and playability) in the $1,500 price range? I was getting interested in Eastman, but have heard of players having problems with them. Ibanez? Gibson seems out of reach... Thanks for your help!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I've had no problems at all with my Eastman 371. Your budget would leave enough left over for a decent used amp!

User Info Menu

I guess it depends on what you want...Been checking and reviewing a lot of the 1K archtops...I would like to try a little wider neck then my Ibanez...I was also looking for a 15inch body...Now that limits me to just about 0, so I'm putting a 16inch eastmen on the top of my list....I also like the thinner body...Anyway...it will depend on what your looking for....

User Info Menu

You may want to search old threads, this is discussed a LOT. Everyone has their fave, and many of their biases show it.

Maybe a better question would be: "How do I maximize my $1500 budget to get the best guitar suited for me?"

I think then you'd get a lot of constructive answers like:

1. Buy used
    2. Don't rush
    3. Find what you play well and what sounds good
    4. Be open minded
    5. Take suggestions in stride with the suggesters bias :-)

I've been playing for over 50 years, and a couple of years ago knew little about archtops (not counting 335 like guitars of which I had many) and learned a great deal from the helpful folks here.

User Info Menu

People are spread out all over the place these days and many have to go by reviews to buy...Not the best thing but what can you do....

User Info Menu

To maximize your value used is the way to go, but which guitar you go with depends on what exactly you are looking for. Some options are:

Fully hollow vs hollow with a soundpost
    Carved vs laminate
    Two pups vs one
    Humbuckers vs single coil
    Set in pup(s) vs floating
    17" vs 16" vs other

There are other considerations, but at your price point the above are probably the most important.

Everyone out here has their preferences, which are in part affected by the types of guitars their influences play or what is most popular in their part of the world. There is much love for Eastman out here, and while the one I had a few years back sounded good the fit and finish wasn't as good as I wanted, so I returned it. All companies have issues like that at times, so I am not bashing Eastman at all. For my money, however, I have not found anything better than Guild guitars. For $1500 you can get a nice X-175 (17", hollow, two humbuckers). You can also go a little smaller at 16" and get a vintage CE-100 (Guilds version of the ES-175) with either full-sized or mini humbuckers, or with one or two single coils. If you want something new you can get a carved A-150, a CE-100, or an X-175 for around1K. The new inexpensive models are made in Korea, but I have played them all and they are a lot of guitar for the price. The used models at $1500 are USA made, and unlike many other companies Guild doesn't have any bad years to avoid. I first played Guild guitars as a teenager, and over the last several years have returned. During the 25+ years in between I tried everything else, including Gibson, Gretsch, Ibanez, Epiphone, Eastman, Taylor, Fender, Yamaha, and others. While most of those were fine guitars none had better tone or feel, and several cost much more than $1500. Again, this is just my personal view. Others will chime in with their favorites, and in the end you will have some nice options to consider. In the meantime, play as many types as you can to see what works best for you.

User Info Menu

I've seen nice all solid used Heritage 575s for $1500
    I like my Eastman AR810CE which was $1575 CDN new.
    The new Korean D'Angelico EXL1s are nice in a laminate guitars for around $1K.

User Info Menu

Heritage 575
    Eastman 803CE used
    Ibanez GB or PM used
    Loar ?

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the helpful information. You've given me several interesting directions to explore!

User Info Menu

Vernon, I would at least check out the Gibson ES165 which is basically a one pickup ES175. I have one and love it. They can usually be purchased in the $1500-$1800 neighborhood. There is one on eBay right now that has no bids yet and starting at $1150. I have no idea if there is a reserve amount but if you can get it within your budget it might be something to consider.

User Info Menu

And what about Peerless ?

User Info Menu

To back up 339, a Peerless Jazz City is a very nice piece within the 1500 range.
    Lots of great advice already posted. All I can add is go out and try out as many different brands and styles as you can and go to the manufacturers web pages as quite a few of them have sound clips for their various models. Then there are a load of Youtube offerings of people playing everything and anything with strings. That should keep you busy for some time.

I started out with a list of what I thought was best within my budget and after months of trying out new and used from every manufacture I could lay a hand on I wound up with something that was not even on my original list.
    A Peerless Cremona. I be a very happy camper.

good luck.

User Info Menu

Some archtops excel at acoustic sound, others at feedback resistance. Few in that price range excel at both. If it is your only archtop, and you don't plan to play it loud in public, get one that sounds good unplugged. You will play it more often. For new guitars, Loar seems to be the leader in bang for the buck in that category.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    You may want to search old threads, this is discussed a LOT. Everyone has their fave, and many of their biases show it.

Maybe a better question would be: "How do I maximize my $1500 budget to get the best guitar suited for me?"

I think then you'd get a lot of constructive answers like:

1. Buy used
    2. Don't rush
    3. Find what you play well and what sounds good
    4. Be open minded
    5. Take suggestions in stride with the suggesters bias :-)

I've been playing for over 50 years, and a couple of years ago knew little about archtops (not counting 335 like guitars of which I had many) and learned a great deal from the helpful folks here.
    This is great advice. There are several options in your budget you are probably not considering right now. You are probably going to get more bang for your buck though if you buy used. Sometimes you even stumble upon a real find. It should be noted some like laminates over carved, and even laminates greatly vary in how they sound. You should also consider the scale and nut width, floater vs routed pickup, etc. What some may like, you may not like, tone and playability are very subjective.

User Info Menu

I am leaning toward a carved top single neck pick up. Already have a 335 and want more resonant woody tone. Guess I need to get to a store with a wide selection. I'm north of Hartford CT... any thoughts beyond guitarsnjazz or Rochester NY?

User Info Menu

Guitars N Jazz is probably your best bet considering it's proximity. Those of us in the US east coast are lucky to have access to it.

User Info Menu

The argument for buying a used Gibson archtop is that you could almost always get most if not all of your money back. That is provided you pay attention to how the market is trending.

For $1500 a good used Herb Ellis ES-165 is a good catch. For a little more you may find an ES-175D. You could also find a good used Fender D'Aquisto Elite (with a single neck pup). The twin pup Fender D'Aquisto Standard costs less than the Elite. Don't be fooled.

Don't overlook the Guild X-170, X-180. Great value used.

There are lots of great used archtops out there.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 09-22-2014 at 01:38 PM.

User Info Menu

Interesting about Loar, I tried one over the weekend and was not terribly impressed, but the point about everyone having different preferences is true.

Union Music in Worcester, MA is only one hour from Hartford. It is a small shop with more acoustic guitars than electric, but they do have Loar and Guild archtops to try out, and a few others that I did not have time to check out Saturday. They also have some nice amps to plug into. Karl is the owner, and is the best guy to do business with. Give him a call and he will be more than happy to tell you what he has in stock so you can decide if it is worth a drive.
    Last edited by snoskier63; 09-22-2014 at 01:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for Union music. Worchester is way better than NJ. I'll admit the Guild 170 looks very tempting on ebay... very tempting. I'm just queasy about spending 1k+ without playing the instrument.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vernon
    I am leaning toward a carved top single neck pick up. Already have a 335 and want more resonant woody tone. Guess I need to get to a store with a wide selection. I'm north of Hartford CT... any thoughts beyond guitarsnjazz or Rochester NY?
    If you're looking for a floating pup, D'Angelico is making a player's model (EXL-1) that I tried out the other day. Very lovely instrument, and great tone. I think it was listed at $1,395 or something. Haven't had GAS in a long time, but definitely got it after playing the guitar.

I'm more of a routed guy, so I avoided making a purchase, but just barely.

User Info Menu

I would suggest Heritage but I prefer they remain incredibly undervalued so the stay affordable for me. So don't buy Heritage and certainly don't do anything that would make them more popular or more expensive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Playerizor
    I would suggest Heritage but I prefer they remain incredibly undervalued so the stay affordable for me. So don't buy Heritage and certainly don't do anything that would make them more popular or more expensive.
    God bless that ugly headstock.

User Info Menu

OP says he's looking for a carved top with a woody sound. Many of the suggestions I see here are laminates that have an electric focus. For $1500 and the ability to play the guitar first, I would check out Eastman 8xx and 9xx models at the store, then find one used to buy.

User Info Menu

Carved top with a woody sound? Single pickup?
    I recommend a Hofner New President - these have carved spruce tops and floating pickups.
    They come up used on a regular basis in the $1,500 - $2,000 range.

User Info Menu

Vernon, As you indicate you are just north of Hartford, CT, I would suggest you travel to Acoustic Music.org in Guilford, CT. They have their inventory in two stores across the road from each other. The archtops are in the little strip mall store. Last time I was there they had used Eastman AR805CE, blonde, in your price range. They also have other nice acoustic archtops as well to compare to. You might find something at Fretted Instrument Workshop, in Amherst, MA. Also check out the used inventory at Luthier's Co-op in Easthampton, MA. All of these places should be less than 2 hours away from you. (All of these are must places to visit if have never been to them.)

Danielle