The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Lately, Ive been getting more into pedals because, oh, maybe I'm experiencing a late adolescence? SoOOoo... reverb, delay, chorus, tremolo, boost and overdrive. I'm looking at univibe/radial pedals now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey BDLH, that's called a midlife crisis.

User Info Menu

In General, I don't use anything but a little bit of reverb, but how much depends on the room I'm playing in. When I play my tele for a Country, Blues or Rock gig, pretty much anything goes and a lot depends on the audience.

wiz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by edh
    Hey BDLH, that's called a midlife crisis.
    Guilty as charged

Although, in the defense, I like to use them subtly. (Well, mebbe not the overdrive.)

I used to dislike and make fun of chorus, the overdone '80s version, but now I use it all the time -- just a touch with its tone turned down -- you only notice it when it's turned off.

Delay is the same way. I can set it to give a "pop" to notes that makes them stand out without going full rockabilly.

And a bit of trem in a ballad is fun.
    Last edited by BigDaddyLoveHandles; 11-09-2014 at 01:59 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a bunch of effects. Reverb and Delay are always on, but I'm comfortable playing without them. I really don't like carrying my board for smaller gigs/sessions or when I was in school, wouldn't take them to class, which honestly looks pretty lame IMO. You should be comfortable playing with nothing on. Effects are just like a final touch. Everything should already be great without it (sound, touch, tone, etc).

User Info Menu

I use a chorus pedal from 1982, if I use anything other than reverb or delay. Just a touch of chorus, to broaden the sound, if you catch

User Info Menu

I use the tremelo and spring reverb on my '76 Peavey Session 400... it's a great sounding amp. I like having a bit of reverb... in bigger bands I don't tend to miss reverb so much, but in trio/quartet settings just little bit of reverb is nice. Sometimes I use an old Boss analogue echo for a slapback kind of sound. It's nice for solo guitar too , fills the sound slightly, yet can be really subtle.

User Info Menu

Dude stuff "correct". If we are all the same how boring would that be. Nice discussion on what people are using and we can use that to be the same if we want to or be different (is that "incorrect") if we want to.

I prefer the raw plugged straight in to a small hairy valve amp. I don't love all the effects Kurt Rosenwinkel uses, to me it results in a loss of dynamics, BUT .... man when I heard him play the Next Step live, those effects made that song killer.

I reck'n if he posted that he is a jazzer that slops on copious quantities of reverb, delay, harmoniser, chorus, overdrive etc some punters would tear him down but it can be awesome. Most importantly its his thing.