The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Posts 301 to 325 of 504

User Info Menu

To me it sounds like a very well made old Polytone. It sounds very good (much better than new Polytones) but it has sort of the same "lots of mids" sound. Its dark (I guess in order to be usable by double bass players and seven string players) but not muddy and you can dial it out. The mids are strong but that's the main "color" of the amp and I could really get used to it.

About the treble is where I actually feel the Henriksen has lots of potential but it needs some tweaking. I tried to get the schematic but Peter didn't gave it to me and tracing it was too hard work. To me an Henriksen with the 10k pot on 4.5k or 5k (in order to dial out the brightness of the first two strings), maybe with also a larger Q on the EQ pots, a nice fx reverb, an EV speaker and a regular grilling cloth would be brilliant! (but I found any good 80s solid state amp will do the same and its easier to mod and cheaper to buy)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In terms of Solid State Amps, I've played Polytones, Evans, Acoustic Image and Henriksen. I found the Henriksen to be the most versatile, due to the various specific EQ bands. I found this amp to be the easiest to dial in a great tone, whether for jazz, blues of rock. Of course for blues & rock you would need some sort of overdrive pedal. The amp is very pedal friendly and very tube-like in sound (no hard edges to tone).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ffej
    I would like to make an observation about Polytone amps and see if anyone agrees or disagrees. I've had three MiniBrute IIs, one each bought new in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. The 80s one (handle on top, foam grille cover) definitely sounded the best, just flip it on with a good archtop (or anything else) and it sounded great. The 90s one (handle on side, metal grille) sounds cold and devoid of personality compared to the first two, though I'm kind of addicted to them now and don't want to be without one. Comments? Thanks for your opinions. (Sorry, I know its off topic and I don't know where to get one on LI, but ebay always seems to have a few.)
    I have an early 80's minibrute II (diamond tolex with foam grill & no mid control) that sounds very respectable. I also have a mega-brain head (year??). Friends have 90s mini-brute IIs that I've tried and also new Polytones. I actually like my old 80's mini brute II the best. It's warm and versatile. It sounds very respectable with archtops and believe it or not, it's also very decent playing through OD pedals with a tele, strat or 335. My mega-brain sounds better than the 90s minibrute II combos I've played, mainly because I'm able to run it though various cabinets and speakers.

User Info Menu

I've always been a fan of the huge-wall-of-clean. I used to play through a super-six-reverb...but that thing was enormous, and heavy, despite the wheels. Right now I play through an Ampeg B100R bass-amp. 100W, solid state, 15" speaker, Volume, three-tone-controls, and a master volume, no reverb, made in the USA, and less than $300.00 (although I dont think the new ones are made here anymore). I love it. I will qualify that by saying that I am strange.

User Info Menu

I love my ZT Lunchbox. I cannot believe how loud it can be while still sounding fantastic. I play through it with a jazzy tele (humbucker). As long as someone else is providing the bass, it seems perfect!

User Info Menu

I'm having a problem finding an amp that gives a good jazz tone at higher volumes. I have a Princeton Reverb Reissue, and it gets too snappy and boomy at higher levels, not to mention the breakup at even higher. How about a Clarus head on a Raezor's edge cabinet?

So, how about it? Got an amp that'll stay cool even when hot?

User Info Menu

Sometimes I have the same problem - amp is sounding great then you turn it higher and its boomy and trebly... anyone has a good fix for this? Something related with the volume pot? Any info please!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Sometimes I have the same problem - amp is sounding great then you turn it higher and its boomy and trebly... anyone has a good fix for this? Something related with the volume pot? Any info please!
    Glad I'm not the only one!

I'd like to know about high volume performance on a couple models in particular:

ZT Lunchbox w/ and w/o extension cab
    Fender Twin
    Henriksen JazzAmp
    Jazzkat
    Clarus/Raezer's Edge stack
    ZT Club

I'm cool with both tubes and SS.
    Last edited by =DK=; 10-27-2011 at 10:03 PM.

User Info Menu

I have had that issue with solid state amps so... Henriksen tends to sound the same at all volumes and the volume pot is very linear - one of its advantages. I would really like one of the "experts" to give some tips on these...

This amp starts to break up after volume passes 5. And its a hybrid! Tubes and solid state! Its why I'm looking for a Polytone.I also have a '72 Twin Reverb that hisses like a radiator and is very heavy to lift on to the stage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I have had that issue with solid state amps so... Henriksen tends to sound the same at all volumes and the volume pot is very linear - one of its advantages. I would really like one of the "experts" to give some tips on these...
    How loud can Henriksen get before breakup?

Also, any thoughts on the differences between the Henriksen JazzAmp 110 vs. JazzAmp 112?
    Last edited by =DK=; 10-27-2011 at 09:40 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =DK=

Also, any thoughts on the differences between the Henriksen JazzAmp 110 vs. JazzAmp 112?
    The amp doesn't distort I think (maybe if you load with some enormous gain...). Mine never distorted... it can get quite loud but not as loud as other solid state amps I have with less watts (don't know why). Had some rough time getting along with several horns, bass and drums in unmiced concerts...

I prefer 12 speakers to 10 speaker so I would choose the 112 (that can be a little boomy and dark, maybe the 110 deals with that)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =DK=

This is what Peter Henriksen replied to my question regarding the difference between 10" and 12" models

>>The 10 and the 12 are very similar, but to describe the slight difference
    >>the 12" models have a larger, more open sound and carry more low
    >>frequencies, whereas the 10" models have a tighter, punchier sound.

User Info Menu

I have got the 12" model

User Info Menu

Is Fender fm 212r a good, warm souding amp?... Hope you can help! I like full of bass, rich tones... Thanks!!!

User Info Menu

I've been a Fender user all my life. They are great amps
    I used to use a Fender Twin Reverb amp. It had twin twelve speakers. I had installed JBL speakers which added about fifteen to twenty pounds to the over all weight. It had a great sound but was just too heavy.
    I'm currently switching between a Blues Deluxe (one twelve, 40 watts), and a Blues Junior ( one twelve, 17 watts).
    Your sound originates from the guitar so it is difficult to say which amp is better....
    For jazz, you don't need a big amp.
    I would suggest that you take your guitar into your favourite music store, and try it with various amps. Remember, bigger is not always better.
    Keep on pickin

Tom

User Info Menu

A blues junior is not loud enough for unmiced jazz gigs with drummers in my experience.

User Info Menu

I find my Blues jnr well loud enough .......
    YMMV

User Info Menu

Evans FET 500 Custom LV...single Delta 12". Power, tone, and reverb to die for. Just a bit edging on the heavy side, but less weight than the larger 15" models.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelFiddleGuitarJazz
    Evans FET 500 Custom LV...single Delta 12". Power, tone, and reverb to die for. Just a bit edging on the heavy side, but less weight than the larger 15" models.
    I was my main amp 17 years untill it broke down beyond sensisble repair costs (which would have included shipping to and from the US) a year ago. I think keeping an amp for that long without looking elsewhere is a testimonal of its quality. I must say, though, that when I was forced to buy something else, I choose a lighter setup. That Evans is heavy!

User Info Menu

I too love the JC120 sound but can't afford one in both dollars and the weight carrying it around. Many of my students are young with a limited budget. Surprisingly the Roland Cube series models there own JC120 amp, chorus, and reverb in the wonderful amp. If you want to practice at home buy the small inexpensive one, if you are gigging get the 80 watt for under $400! You'd be suprised how great these sound. Shocking.

Still, for the size and versatility I have a small Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 with one 10" speaker that does the job nicely with my D'Angelico.

User Info Menu

of all amplifiers I tested, the best value for money are the Roland. I recently purchased an orange Cube 60 and I plug an Ibanez GB 10 the result is great sound jazzy. I sorry for my English

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    I was my main amp 17 years untill it broke down beyond sensisble repair costs (which would have included shipping to and from the US) a year ago. I think keeping an amp for that long without looking elsewhere is a testimonal of its quality. I must say, though, that when I was forced to buy something else, I choose a lighter setup. That Evans is heavy!
    I think the current Evans range use neo speakers, so may well be lighter.

User Info Menu

Bose L1 Compact plus whatever processor/modeler/tube preamp(s) you need. Full range, hi-fi, electric or acoustic sounds, soft or loud, easily cuts through the mix, carries well to all corners of a fairly large room, sets up in minutes, weighs very little, has a nice mic input for horn or vocals as well as 1/4" in, RCA and mini-stereo ins, 1/4" out. I use Digitech RP series pedals for jazz or rock/pop sounds, Zoom A2 for nylon-string guitars. Can also handle electric/upright bass, keys, and is phenomenal for 7-string, either electric or acoustic. I haven't yet found a situation where it doesn't blow away conventional amps, with the possible exception of a huge space with a great PA system that you can run your own amp into. Even in that situation, the self-monitoring aspect of the Bose allows everyone onstage to hear your sound without overwhelming anything else. No more boxy, directional, heavy amps for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    I think the current Evans range use neo speakers, so may well be lighter.
    It would be easy to put a lighter sica or neo in the cabinet too. It's medium heavy as it is...not Twin heavy...but it has the power for small or larger gigs. A nice collapsible 2 wheeler works well to handle all your gear in one trip w/ease. Technology keeps getting better...I use a $99 Line 6 at times that sounds great at practice and real small gigs.