The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

These look really nice, at least on paper. 60 and 80 watt version both with scalable power levels.

Roland Blues Cube Stage 1 x 12" 60-Watt Combo | Sweetwater.com

Roland Blues Cube Artist 1 x 12" 80-Watt Combo | Sweetwater.com

And a great demo by Chuck Loeb who worked on it with them.

Last edited by Jim Soloway; 09-14-2014 at 12:00 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That does look nice. The question I have after watching Chuck's first video is in regard to the mid-range boost. Chuck achieved that with a special switch on his guitar, but can that similar boost be achieved via the amp alone? At 35 lbs it is certainly easy to carry. Having the four power options (0.5, 15, 45 and 80w) is also nice. Another big question to me is how does it compare tonally to the Quilter MicroPro 200? The Quilter is 21 lbs (10" speaker) and 100w/channel, which is much lighter and more powerful. Reliability is probably very good on both, so for me, based on the weight alone, the Quilter gets the nod. That said, 35 lbs isn't too much to easily carry, so unless one has physical limitations it is very manageable. I would love to see a comparison demo between the two.

User Info Menu

35 lbs is for the Blues Cube Artist. The Blues Cube Stage is just a hair under 31 lbs.

User Info Menu

Sounds decent, just a tad pricey (if you consider many of the "higher end" solid state amplifiers on the market). Would love to see a "Jazz Cube". A revised version of the Roland Jazz Chorus would be a nice addition to this cube lineup.

User Info Menu

The Jazz Cube I'd love to see would have a graphic EQ. That'd be awesome. 2 channel job. One does more the JC sound that people would expect and the other more of a tube thing. Of course, I think the Blues Cube will handle it nicely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by barrymclark
    The Jazz Cube I'd love to see would have a graphic EQ. That'd be awesome. 2 channel job. One does more the JC sound that people would expect and the other more of a tube thing. Of course, I think the Blues Cube will handle it nicely.
    An onboard graphic eq would be an incredible! I know we're playing make believe here, but running a GE-7 into the loop of my old Peavey Bandit has suppressed many new gear temptations.

User Info Menu

I used to have one of the original Blues Cubes 60 1x12 models when they came out. It was heavy for a solid state amp but sounded good and had a lot of nice options. Are these analog like the old ones or are they modeling? They certainly weigh less than the originals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sutherland
    An onboard graphic eq would be an incredible! I know we're playing make believe here, but running a GE-7 into the loop of my old Peavey Bandit has suppressed many new gear temptations.

I've got a Peavey Bandit 65 and it's a great jazz amp. I got it for $50 as a laugh, and it's ended up being one of my favourite jazz amps.

User Info Menu

I thought it sounded pretty great. Versatile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth
    I thought it sounded pretty great. Versatile.
    It doesn't hurt that Chuck is such a great player. I loved the way he just lit up when he talked about the trem.

User Info Menu

Sounds great!

User Info Menu

Roland Blues Cube Stage 60 and 80-not-impressed-png

User Info Menu

I've not heard a bad demo of this amp, at least on clean.

Here is a great clip / promo w/ Eric Johnson who is providing the guidance for the first "tone capsule". I'm not going to lie, even if it is just some EQ curves and overdrive settings, it's a pretty fun concept. Hopefully they will have a wider range than just "blues" artists. Maybe Chuck Loeb will have one. Do the general masses know who he is?

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/namm...e-capsule.html

[edit] ooglybong pointed me to the Sweetwater page and they show a price of $299 for the capsule. No thanks.
    Last edited by spiral; 01-23-2015 at 07:58 PM.

User Info Menu

The only thing I didnt like about the eric demo is they hid his pedalboard until the very end.. you see him using the build in foot switches.. you dont see him using the fuzz face.

User Info Menu

Amp $899
    Tone capsule $299
    Footswitch $99
    Knowledge you can buy a pretty darn nice tube amp for $1297? Priceless!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Amp $899
    Tone capsule $299
    Footswitch $99
    Knowledge you can buy a pretty darn nice tube amp for $1297? Priceless!
    To me the point of the amp is getting tube tone without the worry of noise or having to replace tubes, and less weight—which is appealing. The stage version is $699 which after usual discounts nets you a $560 solid state amp. Even at full retail it's not terrible compared to $1350 for an Evans, $900 for a Hendrickson, or $1000 for a TomKat, amps only. I get your point though, but it's just another option.

The capsule price is just dumb. I don't like any artist that much.

User Info Menu

Reminds me of the old Benson amps like HR and others used they had plug in sound modules. Didn't the old LAB amps have something similar too?

I had an old Blues Cube 30 about 8-10 years ago. The single 12" speaker combo. The amp was ok, no reverb and not very loud for 30 watts. I played it a couple of times with a bass player and drummer and it had to be dimed to compete. They sell here used all day long for $200.

I would never buy one again.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuitarPlayer
    I had an old Blues Cube 30 about 8-10 years ago. The single 12" speaker combo. The amp was ok, no reverb and not very loud for 30 watts. I played it a couple of times with a bass player and drummer and it had to be dimed to compete. They sell here used all day long for $200.

Totally different amp

User Info Menu

Looks intersting.I have to try these amps.

User Info Menu

$300 capsules? urg. are they doing a Jim Hall capsule? LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuitarPlayer

I wouldn't blame the amp, 30 solid state watts is not enough to play with a drummer, even jazz. I play jazz with a 15w tube amp and it's just enough.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    $300 capsules? urg. are they doing a Jim Hall capsule? LOL

I got the initial module list, don't tell anyone I told you.
    The pricing works like this: multiply the syllables in the artist's name by $75.
    • Yngwie Malmsteen - $300
    • Jeri Hendrix (4th cousin of Jimi) - $300
    • Charlie Christian (tone based on photos) - $300
    • Edge (one different capsule for each U2 album) - $75
    • Tosin Abasi (adds a lower octave to all your playing) - $300
    • Paul Gilbert (sends you a text to practice every day) - $225
    • Robert Johnson (turns off the amp) - $300

User Info Menu

More info and a new Sweetwater video. In the video Rich says the tone capsule is limited to 300 and signed and numbered, so that explains the price.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    More info and a new Sweetwater video. In the video Rich says the tone capsule is limited to 300 and signed and numbered, so that explains the price.

Um am i stuck in some late 80's early 90's Steve Vai like tone universe?

What an awful sound. I just saved myself $300.

Cheers Rich