The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Posts 301 to 311 of 311

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg
    The new Gibson L5 Premiers (floating pickups) I've played had the cord input through the end block as well ...

I haven't looked that close at the new L5 CES or WES cord inputs.
    Yeah . . and they do those things when they aren't restricted by having to remain true to a guitar being offered as an era or period correct *Reissue* of a vintage guitar.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ingeneri
    2B, love the ebony insert tailpiece on that SE of yours. I've got the H, but the ebony is the best of all time. Kinda like a Campellone.
    I couldn't agree more Matt....I've seen photos of this version floating around for some time....it's got the right vibe.

User Info Menu

I'm coming late to this thread, but someone once gave me this advice, and it is pertinent regardless of the quality or price: if it makes your dick hard...buy it!

User Info Menu

As a former Economics student, this is an interesting question to me. There's a couple of different ways of reckoning "value". There's market value, which is what you can actually buy the thing for, and then there's the value to you. If the value to you is greater than the market value, you'll buy it. If it's less, you won't.

Unless I were to win the lottery, there's no guitar that's worth more than about $2,500 to me. And it would have to be a pretty damn amazing guitar to get me to go above $1,500. So obviously, I won't be looking at an L5 any time soon.

I used to own a PRS that I paid about $2,200 for (new). It was a fantastic guitar, and I liked it very much. But my $1,100 Ibby is pretty much its equal in terms of fit, finish, and playability. I don't think I'd buy another PRS now that I know how great the Ibbys are.

I don't really give a fig about the name on the headstock. It might affect resale value, but I don't typically buy guitars with the intent of reselling them.

User Info Menu

It's not the guitar, it's my $10 ears that are the problem.

User Info Menu

This seems to be a question that applies to lots of things; in my experience, more expensive guitars (or mics - something I'm pretty familiar with) are better sounding than their less expensive counterparts. But it's not a linear relationship - a Shure Beta57 ($140) is a very versatile, and totally acceptable sounding microphone. A Neumann KM184 ($850) is better mic. Does it sound 6X better than the Shure? Probably not; the extra $700 you'd spend on the Neumann probably buys a 10 - 25% (pure speculation on these figures) better sounding mic. I have the feeling that the same thing applies to guitars - a lot more money does get you a better guitar, but the increase in quality is incremental compared to the increase in cost.

User Info Menu

@Mercosound:

Agreed. It seems to me that the "Law of Diminishing Returns" applies to just about everything.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazz.fred
    @Mercosound:

Agreed. It seems to me that the "Law of Diminishing Returns" applies to just about everything.
    It does. That's why they call it a law.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I for one couldn't be happier that more people don't realize how comfortable SE's are to play, for that makes SE's more affordable for those of us who love 'em!

Wow, that was a nice guitar a couple years ago! Nothing like threads with 2 year old bumps

User Info Menu

Greg,

I remember that guitar. It was on Reverb for a while. I really wanted it, but I went for the Unity instead. I am SURE that I would have greatly enjoyed that SE. Most unique.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Greg,

I remember that guitar. It was on Reverb for a while. I really wanted it, but I went for the Unity instead. I am SURE that I would have greatly enjoyed that SE. Most unique.
    You would have loved it. It's new owner is very happy. It lives in Europe now.