The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 65

User Info Menu

max price U'd pay for this 2012 Gibson L5CES?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For me personally I would pay $4200 Tops. I paid $4850 for my 2008 L5 Wes several months ago in excellent condition. This guitar, while it probably plays beautifully does not benefit from the nicer ebony fingerboard nor can you see the wood with the black gloss finish. It is likely worth quite a bit more to someone else though. It is still an L5 and a great guitar!

So, although L5CES' sell on average for more than L5 Wes' you'd pay less than what you'd pay for an L5 Wes?

User Info Menu

rosewood doesn't look good against the ebony IMO

User Info Menu

This was made while Gibson's ebony stock was confiscated, no? Say, the black looks cool...but I like wine red, too.

Hmm an L5 in black with rosewood (shudders twice). Well their not in demand so what ever you pay, will be a risk, unless you pay bottom dollar.

I'de say between $4,500 and $5,000 but as someone else said, around $4,750 seems about right. Thats if you want a rosewood black L5?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    rosewood doesn't look good against the ebony IMO
    that was not the question.

Okay, let's rephrase the question:

those that don't care for it, your price doesn't matter for it's meaningless to you...But, if you dig it...or could live with it, what's your max price?

thank you.

User Info Menu

If I wanted it with the intent to keep and play, $5500, not a penny more.

User Info Menu

Dave's Guitars sold one, a 2012 Ebony, New Old Stock as a used guitar for $5500 earlier in 2014. That's from a dealer's own stock and it was never previously "owned". This one just might be the same one.

The Gibson Custom Shop would select top grade East Indian Rosewood as those used in its Histrionics Reissue Les Pauls R8 or R9. Although ebony is a traditional material for L5s, I don't know, gut feel is that EIR would contribute to a warmer playing tone.

A Super 400CES Ebony sold for $5000 on ebay in 2012/2013 in a good condition but I felt that the bridge was shaved down too low so i demurred from bidding on it.

In case it matters, 2012 is not a particularly good year for Gibson: The 'Dreaded' Double-layer Laminated Rosewood Fretboard, DUH. It does not really matter but the mind plays tricks. One can't really tell unless he pops off the nut and takes a real good gander at the board. Very early 2012 Gibson CS Histrionics mainly escaped the 'scourge'. It plays no differently but bi-laminated boards are non de riguer so there.

So, in a buyer's market, non-traditional, bi-laminate EIR fretboard, 'cheap' Ebony finsih, excellent to excellent plus condition, $4250 (nice work if you can get it) to $4500. $4750 to $5000 tops if you really want it. I don't suppose it will ever sell lower than $4250 because any L-5CES is desireable.

Me? For $5000, I would take that flatsawn maple-backed 1983 L-5CESN with Tim Shaw humbuckers.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-01-2014 at 10:13 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm not a fan of black Gibsons at all, but IMHO that particular rosewood fingerboard is very attractive. And it's not unprecedented: Gibson made many L-5s in the post-WWII period with rosewood rather than ebony, such as this '47 listed at Golden Age Guitars:

2012 Gibson L5CES w/ Rosewood fretboard - what's your max pay for this archtop?-p1_ue12jfq1m_so-jpg

Or this 1950 model at Rumble Seat:

2012 Gibson L5CES w/ Rosewood fretboard - what's your max pay for this archtop?-50gibsonl5blonde188-jpg

User Info Menu

But Gibson used BRAZILIAN ROSEWOOD (Dalbergia nigra) fretboards back then. Holy Smoley Grail of the Les Paul Standard nutters. Listen to that crystal glassy ring tone...

User Info Menu

Roger> I'l definitely agree with you on two points; That is an absolutely beautiful hunk of rosewood on that black L5CES. Probably Indian rosewood? (I wonder if it's a solid one piece slab or a multi layered fret board as they did on the 2012 Les Pauls?). I also agree that the two pics you posted don't look too bad at all with the rosewood boards. The 1950 blond looks like it might even be BRW.

But, it just looks out of place on a black L5CES. I probably couldn't own that guitar even if I got it for free. I'd probably donate it to a jazz school somewhere and take the $8,000 tax write off.

"I'm sure there a spare can of black dye or wood stain around here somewhere".

I wonder why the tone aficionados have not yet jumped in on the impact of tonal response between the two different finger boards.

Very interesting...Even a hard price driving JW considers it worth $5k, "if you have to have it."

On the '47 - I've spoken to John Reynolds about that guitar several times...he won't budge. If I'm not mistaken John owns that one.

User Info Menu

2b . . the '47 is absolutely beautiful as well as an important piece of arch top history. John will get his number for this. Looks like a newer TRC? Also, I see the pick guard is cut out for a pickup. I wonder if John still has the original.? I also wonder what the original pup was? Was this originally sold as an acoustic . . with the pup installed afterwards? Or, was it a factory install? Cord jack a pin jack under the guard? If that bridge assy is rosewood . . then it's the lightest colored rosewood I've ever seen. Canary RW? Patagonian RW? I may have to stop in to say hello to John and check this guitar out a little closer. I have no interest in buying it. Just wanna "kick the tires and slam the doors" a bit.

Apologies to Jabber . . I did't read a couple of his prior posts on this thread. I see where he did already make note of tonal differences in ebony and rosewood finger boards, as well as mention the laminate rosewood boards on the 2012 Lesters . . as well as an assumption that the rosewood board on the black L5CES is probably IRW.

Holy shit!!! Jabber and I staring to see things similarly??

User Info Menu

I played the '47 at Golden Age back in February. It does sound nice, has a light Braz board, and many minor battle scars that add to its patina. It was definitely a normal acoustic L-5 that someone probably mounted a pickup on at some point in its long life.

To be honest, I also own a '47 and I think mine is nicer (well, it's also blonde with stunning quilted figure). I got it for $1500 less than John's price, from a retail shop that I can't remember, although not one of the well-known archtop purveyors. Mine was missing its guard (since replaced) and had bad tarnish on the hardware, that I painstakingly scrubbed away with vinegar and a toothbrush.

He has had that L-5 in stock for quite a long time, well over a year, possibly two or even three.

User Info Menu

I would not buy it either. Zero upside growth.

They're back to ebony now, which is the standard for their top arch tops in the modern era.

but i suppose if you want a nice guitar and a natural or sunburst new or newish L5 is simply out of reach for the foreseeable future - AND - you can get it for a very, very low price....

User Info Menu

I don't know...is it me, or are L-5 models with that silly pickguard sticker seeming to pop up very routinely these days? Ever since the Custom Crimson marketing phenomenon began (2012?), they are all over the place. They used to be quite uncommon. They're still priced at $10k and up, but there's an impression that they're being cranked out - not like Les Pauls of course, but relatively speaking. It turns me off. Does anyone else feel this way?

User Info Menu

That silly pickguard sticker has been appearing with regularity now but it is easy to peel off and so it does not bother me. What gets my goat is the STUPID COA BOOKLET! Gibson CS created this damn useless COA monster which is absolutely useless (there, I said it twice in one sentence) and does nothing except to make one misplace it and lose value on a guitar when it comes time to sell it. Senseless piece of shite.

Does it really authenticate a Gibson? I don't think so. Does it make the guitar play nicer? I don't think so. Is it even a nice-looking booklet? I don't think so. But yet, lose that damn thing and buyers want $500 off your asking.

It is like that little old lady who refuses to remove the price hang-tag from her hat because "it is part of it".

Crimson Custom...what kind of crap are the genius marketers at Gibson gonna puke out next? How about just making a nice guitar with no flaws?

There is no turing back now because ironic as it seems, buyers of new and used Gibsons seem to look for the COA now. I hope Gibson does not come up with anymore 'smart' but useless ideas. How about a nice red ribbon with the guitar's serial number printed on it? NOT. How about a flannel shroud with the serial number of the guitar printed on it? NOT.

Worst part is, Gibson CS refuses to replace lost COAs without your sending the guitar in for their authentication. They seem to authenticate Gibsons real fine with photos but to replace a COA? No way way.

Rant over.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 07-02-2014 at 12:43 AM.

User Info Menu

I lost my COA, its on my desk buried under books and papers. I think its a nice touch for the custom instruments.
    I put the sticker thing on my wall calendar.

I like ebony guitars, but to me an L-5 is just not the piece for it. The carved top deserves better than that. Also the rosewood is a downgrade. Since one can occasionally get sunburst L5s in good condition around the 5k mark, the max for this to me would be around 4.5k$.

User Info Menu

How about '1997 GIBSON WES MONTGOMERY L5-CES VSB CARVED JAZZ ARCH - $3500 (Chelsea)' ? Edit: CL Scam Alert.

Or

A 'Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery rare now discontinued natural finish - $12000'? Edit: CL Delusional and yes, yet another Scam Alert. Due to 'rarity", the man sez...

Well looks like you got your figure Bop,

$4500-$5000

User Info Menu

"It is like that little old lady who refuses to remove the price hang-tag from her hat because "it is part of it".

Hey now!

love,
    Minnie Pearl

User Info Menu

2012 Gibson L5CES w/ Rosewood fretboard - what's your max pay for this archtop?-les_paul_custom_rosewood-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    How about '1997 GIBSON WES MONTGOMERY L5-CES VSB CARVED JAZZ ARCH - $3500 (Chelsea)' ? Edit: CL Scam Alert.
    Jab, I wrote to that guy last week and got a real reply with his personal email address, and an image URL with lots of photos:

imgur: the simple image sharer

I was ready to drive out there and snap it up, but I'm being financially smart and avoiding the urge. I have four L-5s already and they do the job (and then some).