The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 48

User Info Menu

I got a really bad case of GAS yesterday when I visited the website of Dan Koentopp (Koentopp Guitars - Hand Made Guitars by Luthier Dan Koentopp). I just love that cello-violin vibe he has going with his Amati model:

REAL cello archtop guitars-amati-2-koentopp-jpg

Then I looked on Google Images for more cello-like guitars and found this incredible one by the Oscar Schmidt Company:
    REAL cello archtop guitars-image-jpg

But then I remembered the painting of the infamous Borgia family at play in the 15th century, one of them holding a very similar instrument. We keep going round in circles. It's a viola da mano:

REAL cello archtop guitars-image-jpg

Does anyone else make archtop guitars with a pronounced cello or violin-like vibe? I find it very attractive.

I can't remember where I got this image from, but it is gorgeous.
    Attached Images Attached Images REAL cello archtop guitars-image-jpg 
    Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 06-09-2014 at 04:58 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Rob,
    Not that it's going to compete with the Koentopp (what a beautiful finish!), but I think this would fit the bill from an aesthetic point of view:

Handcarft violin style guitar jazz guitar, View jazz guitar, yunzhi Product Details from Beijing Yunzhi Hengwei Music Instruments Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

(Scroll down for close ups)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop

Does anyone else make archtop guitars with a pronounced cello or violin-like vibe? I find it very attractive.
    There's one that pops up on this forum every once in a while, complete with the flared binding edges (whatever those are called). But I can't seem to find it now.

Personally, I think anything with those cutaways on the sides for bowing would be quite uncomfortable on one's lap.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Nils. Never seen that one before. It's a bit odd-looking, but certainly cheaper...not quite got the same lust factor. But I'll keep it in mind.

Trustworthy company?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Personally, I think anything with those cutaways on the sides for bowing would be quite uncomfortable on one's lap.
    I hold the guitar down the outside of my right leg, usually, so these cutaways wouldn't be a problem.

User Info Menu

2005 Landscape AR-1

Not as "pronounced" as some examples on this thread but maybe worth looking at? Pretty reasonable, too!

User Info Menu

Hi Rob
    Please correct me if i'm wrong...I think possibly Woody Sound is referring to the same brand as SierraTango above,
    would this be the thread ?
    Landscape Guitars
    Also found this...
    Landscape Guitars and Basses

User Info Menu

These Benedetto Bravo's have the look you and I like.

Cincy
    Attached Images Attached Images REAL cello archtop guitars-photo22_zps5184ff44-jpg 

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

David, that's one of the most stunning guitars I've ever seen. You're a lucky man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pubylakeg
    Hi Rob
    Please correct me if i'm wrong...I think possibly Woody Sound is referring to the same brand as SierraTango above,
    would this be the thread ?
    Landscape Guitars
    Also found this...
    Landscape Guitars and Basses
    No, the one I'm thinking of that has been pictured here before almost looks like a blond colored cello but with a guitar "waist" instead of the bowing cutouts. And it has the large ridges on the front and back bindings.

User Info Menu

David Morse used to but he makes mostly bowed instruments nowadays.

User Info Menu

I got a really bad case of GAS yesterday when I visited the website of Dan Koentopp (Koentopp Guitars - Hand Made Guitars by Luthier Dan Koentopp). I just love that cello-violin vibe he has going with his Amati model:

REAL cello archtop guitars-amati-2-koentopp-jpg
    WARNING: Stay OFF the Koentopp website -- it will only make you want to purchase one of his guitars!

[And Dan's a nice guy, so don't talk to him!]

User Info Menu

Well, thanks to everyone! What a lot of things to look at. I'm afraid the Koentopp stills looks the best, but apparently the price is in the region of 14,000 USD. Gulp. Double Gulp. But that's about the price of a good violin bow...Beyond me, though.

User Info Menu

Czech luthier Jan Fiser does violin style archtops too

REAL cello archtop guitars-photo-360-dsc_8934-jpg

Violin archtop V - wintage | Jan Fi?er

Moffa has already been mentioned-here's one of the best examples for my taste:

Moffa Guitars (5th photo from the bottom, Maestro in antique red).

User Info Menu

Thanks for those. For some reason I can't see the Moffa images on my iPad2, just the text. I'll look later on my computer.

The Fiser instruments look very interesting. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

I can see the Moffa now - very nice!

Overall, some have just put edging on their usual archtops to give a hint of the violin/cello (the Moffa is a fine example). Some build from the ground up as a violin/cello-based chamber. The Yunzi looks odd, but is certainly the cheapest. The Landscape and Fiser attract me. I've written to Fiser, enquiring about the price.

We shall see...

User Info Menu

Just found out about the guitars made in the late 1930s and early 1940s by William Wilkanowski

REAL cello archtop guitars-wilkanwski2-jpg

REAL cello archtop guitars-wilkanowski-gif

Some crazy instruments under his name on Google Images: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Wi...w=1633&bih=948

User Info Menu

There's even one of his guitars for sale...a mere 18,000 USD: https://www.musurgia.com/products.as...=5010666102014

REAL cello archtop guitars-wilkanowski3-jpg

User Info Menu

Never seen that one before. It's a bit odd-looking, but certainly cheaper...not quite got the same lust factor. But I'll keep it in mind.

Trustworthy company?
    Totally agree that it doesn't have the same lust factor. I haven't dealt with Yunzhi myself, although I have ordered a 16" archtop through Lora Yu/Yolanda team, which seem to be using the same (ex)Yunzhi builder(s). They're sending pictures on a regular basis of the work-in-progress, and I feel I can trust them. But there are several Yunzhi threads here on this site. If you´re interested, BigMike and Spooks are some of the guys to ask.

Anyway, I was just wondering that since these people also build violins and cellos, they may be able to do a Borgia knock-off for you...?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nils
    Totally agree that it doesn't have the same lust factor. I haven't dealt with Yunzhi myself, although I have ordered a 16" archtop through Lora Yu/Yolanda team, which seem to be using the same (ex)Yunzhi builder(s). They're sending pictures on a regular basis of the work-in-progress, and I feel I can trust them. But there are several Yunzhi threads here on this site. If you´re interested, BigMike and Spooks are some of the guys to ask.

[b]Anyway, I was just wondering that since these people also build violins and cellos, they may be able to do a Borgia knock-off for you...?[b/]
    They will. I had enquired about a guitar with violin edge. I Sent them pics and they said they would do it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by David B
    These guitars are gorgeous! Now I have something to save up for. . .DAMN YOU!

User Info Menu

REAL cello archtop guitars-captureguitar-jpg

Touch of "the lamp?" or am i the only adolescent here?

User Info Menu

Rob,

Since you're a mult-instrumentalist, how about a Lyon and Healy style A mandolin? This one is a reasonable $4,382 at mandoweb. It's here: Lyon & Healy (used early 20s) Style A Professional mandolin - Mandolin Brothers, Ltd.

User Info Menu

Ha! Well, I did play the mandolin for six months, but just couldn't connect with it. Too small. Too tight. Too high pitched. I'll pass ;-)