The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

When I revamped my recording rig last year I bought an Audio Technica 2021 mic. It's a condenser pencil mic with a very small diaphragm The idea was to capture some room ambiance rather that close mic'ing the cab like had in the past. It does that but it's very sensitive (I suspect to the low end) and even small amounts of volume can add a lot of noise if it's not pointed JUST SO.

I don't want to go back to floe mic'ing with an SM57 or a E609, so what I'm looking for is something that I can set up at least a foot or two from the cab, that doesn't need a bazillion dollar pre-amp (which I'm told eliminates most ribbon mics) and preferable sells for under $250. Any suggestions? What's everyone else using?
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 06-02-2014 at 10:27 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I can't help you in that price range.

User Info Menu

Henry - I know you are involved in studio production. What do you think of the Neumann TLM 102 small condenser mic that sells for around $700? I want to upgrade my mics , and I cannot afford that yet, but it is on my wish list. I'm especially interested in transparent vocals and good acoustic guitar sound.

Jay
    Last edited by targuit; 06-02-2014 at 11:10 AM.

User Info Menu

A few years back i invested in an AKG perception 420 and 220. Among other purposes, i like to use them for that exact application...room micing. The 420 is perfect for the room. It doesn't do as well closer to an amp, as it is very sensitive. It does have a -20db roll off which helps. the 220 is better for on the amp recording but still does a decent room sound.

When recording directly into my computer i use a M Audio Fast Track Ultra. I also own a Tascam DR40 which i use for rehearsals and performances. i have used it with the 420 and it works very well.

Overall i'd recommend the 420 over the 220 for room/ambient recording. it's a great mic and priced accordingly.

User Info Menu

On a low budget the Behringer B2 Pro is a great mic. When Rode moved their factory back from China to Australia, Behringer took over the line so what you're buying is what would have once been branded Rode.

My friend recently sold a few of his condenser mics which were 3-4x the price of the Behringers because he prefers how they sound.

User Info Menu

Try a Behringer ECM 8000. It's omnidirectional, a condenser, and supposedly for use with testing equipment. The omni would pick up room sound, and the test function claims to provide a flat response. And it costs about $79.

Another mic I use a lot is the Audix I5. It's a dynamic, so it's similar to the SM57, but it has a lot smoother response and sound than the Shure.

My most favorite mic of all is a Sterling Audio ST51. It's a cheap condenser - $89 - but it has a richness in the midrange that I can't explain, much better than most cheap Chinese condensers like MXL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by targuit
    Henry - I know you are involved in studio production. What do you think of the Neumann TLM 102 small condenser mic that sells for around $700? I want to upgrade my mics , and I cannot afford that yet, but it is on my wish list. I'm especially interested in transparent vocals and good acoustic guitar sound.

Jay
    I liked that. I used it once. I'd look to some of the less name mics who try harder and can't rely on their name - like Peluso. John Peluso started out as a reconditioning Neumans and AKGs. He knows mics. Several years ago he started his own line. He also got a corner on tubes, pissing off some other microphone folks. He's a great guy and makes great mics, designed after many of the big name mics for considerably less.

User Info Menu

I think if you could get a hold of a used AKG 414, or an AT4050, or maybe the tube AT4060, you'd be doing yourself a favor. Those are fantastic workhorse mics. The 4060 sounds a lot like the Neumann U67. The pencil Peluso CEMC-6 is great and less expensive. Their P28 is also great - tube.

The problem with cheaper mics is they sound cheap. Even the less expensive Audio Technica mics sound very grainy to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I'm looking for is something that I can set up at least a foot or two from the cab, that doesn't need a bazillion dollar pre-amp (which I'm told eliminates most ribbon mics) and preferable sells for under $250. Any suggestions? What's everyone else using?
    Behringer: DUAL DIAPHRAGM CONDENSER MICROPHONE B-2 PRO

RØDE Microphones - NT1-A

I've used both mics with excellent results and both are within your budget. You have the embarrassment of choice!

HTH,

User Info Menu

How to Record An Acoustic Guitar Handmade Guitars | Archtop, Nylon String, Steel String and Fan Fret Guitars

Blue Yeti Pro.
    How about this one?
    I've no experience but Tom Bills suggests it.

User Info Menu

I've never used that one but I like Blue mics, a lot.

User Info Menu

Another cheap suggestion -

K-Micro Silver Bullet Matched Pair :: Condenser Mics Trinity, Unity, Prophecy, K-10, K-micro, Silver Bullet :: Karma Mics - Dynamic mic - Condenser Microphone - Recording Microphone - San Jose, CA

This costs $35, its tiny capsule and circuitry is built into an XLR connector. Omn, small, and sounds really good.

User Info Menu

The AKG 214 is a great low budget alternative to the 414. It has the same capsule and internal mount with less features and cheaper materials. Just a bit above your budget but certainly doable if you find it used.

I have the neumann tlm102 at home. I use it to record foley and sound effects for feature films. It's a very good, reasonably flat response mic for the price. Brand name or no.

The noise floor is quite low for a mic in this price range. Very important for the quiet recording of clothing hustle or soft patter of feet.

Here's a recording I did:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/1Sr5P11IVOk?feature=oembed

There's an sm57 on the amp and the TLM102 on the guitar body itself. Recorded both channels and blended them.

K
    Last edited by nosoyninja; 06-02-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: fixed video url

User Info Menu

Jim, have you experimented with omni small diaphram mikes? Should be less boomy and slightly less finicky with placement.

Back when I did more recording--say 10 years ago--everyone was excited about the Oktava small diaphram condensers. I got a pair and used them as drum overheads and for acoustic guitar. It looks like they've gone up in price in the interim, but there seem to be plenty of other small diaphragm condensers.

On a completely different track, as I'm sure you know, SM 57 is always an option, but I see you want to move to a more open sound.

User Info Menu

Jim,

Have a look at these inexpensive ribbon mics, a lot of folks swear by them for guitar cab mic'ing.

Ribbon Microphones - Cascade Microphones FAT HEAD

Dan

User Info Menu

Jim,

The perfect fit for you I believe would be a ribbon mic. Like VanDan said, those are affordable ribbon mics that still sound great. Ribbons are ideal for the couple feet away technique to capture not only the guitar but the sound of the room as well. I have used it on many acoustic recordings as well as using it as a room mic.

User Info Menu

I've used the Rode NT3 for years on my acoustic instruments, it does a good job:

RØDE Microphones - NT3

User Info Menu

A lot of information. Thanks for all the great input.

Yeh I gotta second rhodes.

I bought a condenser of theirs new for about £100 some years back. Model is Rhode NT1

Cant fault it.

If I was going to upgrade I would probably go for a SE4400a but thats around $750 although if you could snag a used one for under $500 I'de go for that.

I'm going to record my Ibanez Fa-800 later with the Rhode NT1. and post a link in my FA-800 thread.
    Last edited by GoergeBenson; 06-03-2014 at 10:49 AM.

User Info Menu

some years ago I owned a couple of Oktava 012 mics which were really good for guitar recording via reasonable preamps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    some years ago I owned a couple of Oktava 012 mics which were really good for guitar recording via reasonable preamps
    Yes, those were quite good for the money. Many years ago GC had a special deal, buy two for $99.00 I bought 4. Still have them and use them.

User Info Menu

The Fathead it is. I'm actually driving down to Portland tomorrow and back on Friday so I'll be going right by their shop in both directions. I spoke with Ken at Cascade and he was really helpful so I made arrangements to stop by on Friday morning to pick up a Fathead short ribbon.

My thanks to all for the help.

User Info Menu

Good choice Jim, honestly once you use a ribbon mic, you will never look back!