The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I just played a Fender 68 Custom Princeton Reverb 1x10" 12-Watt Tube Combo.

Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb 1x10" 12-Watt Tube Combo | Sweetwater.com

Much better than the 65 PRRI imo. The guy at the store tells me they took out the bright cap and it sure makes a difference. The bulk of the volume is not in the 1-3 range like most fenders I've played. The speaker wasn't screwed down all the way so it was physically buzzing on the low notes, but that could be fixed. Breaks up nice around 5-6 vol.
    The question in my mind is should I get this or a better PR rebuild like Allen Sweet Spot, Lil King Headstrong or Vintage Sound amp. If I mod the 68 PR with a 12' and other stuff, the price goes above $1k and these other amps are $1500-$2K…

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What about an actual silverface princeton?

User Info Menu

The 68 Custom PRRI is NOT a reissue of a silverface Princeton, but, as the name suggests, a custom version of a Princeton. I played one and didn't like it much, too dark for my tastes. OTOH, I played the 68 Custom Deluxe and really liked the normal channel -- which I've always found too bright on the DRRI -- though I was far less than thrilled with the so-called "Bassman" channel. I think they cloned the wrong channel from the Bassman

>What about an actual silverface princeton?

yeah, maybe you are right (same price as new)...

1979 Fender Princeton Reverb Amp Silverface Oxford 10J4 5B | eBay

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tucson matt
    I just played a Fender 68 Custom Princeton Reverb 1x10" 12-Watt Tube Combo.

Fender '68 Custom Princeton Reverb 1x10" 12-Watt Tube Combo | Sweetwater.com

Much better than the 65 PRRI imo. The guy at the store tells me they took out the bright cap and it sure makes a difference. The bulk of the volume is not in the 1-3 range like most fenders I've played. The speaker wasn't screwed down all the way so it was physically buzzing on the low notes, but that could be fixed. Breaks up nice around 5-6 vol.
    The question in my mind is should I get this or a better PR rebuild like Allen Sweet Spot, Lil King Headstrong or Vintage Sound amp. If I mod the 68 PR with a 12' and other stuff, the price goes above $1k and these other amps are $1500-$2K…
    I didn't think the PRRI has a bright cap...does it? The DRRI definitely does. But I don't think the PRRI does.

What I've read on the thegearpage.net, was that the 68 custom had a little less headroom than the blackface PRRI. I have a PRRI with a 12" speaker but haven't played a 68 custom version.
    Last edited by monkmiles; 05-30-2014 at 08:34 PM.

User Info Menu

I liked the 68 prri I tried much better than the 65 prri... no comparison.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I believe that's the non-reverb version. Those are very different amps.
    I don't think they are that different, apart from reverb. The reverb amp has somewhat more gain due to the extra reverb mixer gain stage, but apart from that they have the same circuitry, tone stack, cathodyne phase inverter which distorts a bit, and output stage.

The urban myth that has arisen around this difference makes the SF princeton a better value IMO. Or put another way, the reverb version expensive...

There is a much greater circuit difference between a PR and a DR, than between a PR and a Princeton.

User Info Menu

I looked more into the differences between the 68 PR and 68 DR to the PRRI and the DRRI.

The biggest difference from their RI counterparts, is they intentionally made them breakup earlier (reduced negative feedback for more gain).

Then there is the more british sounding stock speakers in them.

There might be more differences, but the general consensus is, the 68 will be a little darker with less headroom than their RI counterparts.

It's just DRRI that has the bright cap, not the PRRI. The 68 DR apparently has removed that bright cap. Then also apparently also has a bassman tone stack in one channel.

User Info Menu

The bright cap has been an issue with DRRIs forever... why not just it on an on / off switch?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997
    I don't think they are that different, apart from reverb. The reverb amp has somewhat more gain due to the extra reverb mixer gain stage, but apart from that they have the same circuitry, tone stack, cathodyne phase inverter which distorts a bit, and output stage.
    The nice thing about the non-reverb Silverface Princetons is how clean they remain as you turn up the volume (which I assume is a function of not having the extra gain stage). In a burst of downsizing zeal, I sold my 1970 Princeton non-reverb this past week. Very nice amp, especially for jazz. With a Wet Reverb pedal in front, it was pretty sweet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    The bright cap has been an issue with DRRIs forever... why not just it on an on / off switch?
    Totally agree. They should just make that a stock toggle switch like they do on other models.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Franz 1997

The urban myth that has arisen around this difference makes the SF princeton a better value IMO. Or put another way, the reverb version expensive...

There is a much greater circuit difference between a PR and a DR, than between a PR and a Princeton.
    The circuits may be quite similar but I've played both and I thought they sounded quite different. I also like the verb on the PR a lot. That's tough to recreate with a pedal. And whether it's justifiable or not, from what I've seen the PR typically sells for a lot more money.

User Info Menu

The non reverb silverfsce Princetons are great deals these days. There can be variation in vintage amps of course. Components drifting, possibly modded, speakers, etc. So its not always apples to apples. But circuit wise it's only an added reverb gain stage that's different like Franz said. Not having the reverb gain stage does provide more clean headroom though in all the fender circuits.

User Info Menu

The non reverb Priceton is very different...essentially clean all the way up the dial.

I have a mid-seventies version. Great amp for jazz, but not loud enough for a lot of gig situations.

User Info Menu

What I'm seeing in recent years is a lot of love for Princeton's of all styles (silver face, blackface, reissue, non reverb, etc). They are a good format, size and tone mix. One can fit ones need better or worse. And with an efficient speaker can get more volume than many would expect.

Sorry for taking this further off the original topic. So OP, are you getting the 68 PRRI? Honestly, if I were to buy right now and $1200 or so was affordable, I'd do an used Allen Sweet Spot just like bmw2002 had for sale and I drooled over. Watch the speaker buzz/vibration in the reissues. The stock baffle is seemingly not stiff enough in some of them. Mine buzzed if I dialed in much bass at much volume. Using a new birch ply baffle solved it for me.
    Last edited by monkmiles; 06-01-2014 at 09:13 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hallpass
    Honestly, if I were to buy right now and $1200 or so was affordable, I'd do an used Allen Sweet Spot just like bmw2002 had for sale and I drooled over.
    Thanks, HP --I'm glad I came to my senses on that one. There are other great Princeton BF clones out there as well the OP might want to consider. If I hadn't fallen into the Allen SS, I would have been looking pretty hard at a Gries 12, Vintage Sound Amp 15 or a Lil Dawg.

I didn't mean to take this thread into a reverb versus non-reverb direction when I pointed out the one currently for sale on this Forum. My point (inartfully posed) was that there are lots of great vintage Princetons on the market for the same or significantly less than a re-issue or restatement of the original. (And, of course, despite my best efforts, I couldn't resist picking up an early 70's Silverface Vibro-Champ yesterday ... sounds great with my archtops, plenty loud for home situations.)

User Info Menu

I played a 68 PR and I loved the tone you could get out of it. Made me want to burn my 65 PRRI in a fire... lol.

So I decided to order a 68 DR, I think it will sound amazing. Plus, I think I am going to be replacing the speaker with a Jensen Tornado for more headroom and portability.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JPMike
    I played a 68 PR and I loved the tone you could get out of it. Made me want to burn my 65 PRRI in a fire... lol.
    Don't burn it, send it to me! I'll gladly pay shipping!