The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

First, glad to be here. Nice forum.

Anyone have any recommendations for a portable amp that is gig-worthy (ie loud and sounds good)? I'd like not to spend too much, but if I have to, I will. I've considered the AI Corus, Henriksen 10R, some Roland Cubes (did not really like these (the cubes)).

I'd like to stay in the 20-30 pound, sub $1000 range, but less is of course fine.

What other options am I missing? Portability is the necessary, but not sufficient, criterion.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

look into polytone and jazzkat.

User Info Menu

Polytone. I have a Polytone Mini Brute IV that I picked up on ebay for $350 from a guy by O'Hare Airport (i.e., locally)--32 lbs, wheels. Oh, did I forget the great tone?

I've heard of JazzKat, and I know the Pizzarelli's use them. But I'm sure they can make anything sound great. What do forum readers here think about them? How do they compare to a Polytone?

User Info Menu

Evans RE200

User Info Menu

Phil Jones AAD Cub weighs less than 12 pounds. SamAsh.com sells the Cub for $399 shipped.

The AER Compact 60 weighs less than 20 pounds. The C60 sells for $999, I believe.

Loudness is subjective. I've gigged with both of these amps.

User Info Menu

Also got a Polytone Mini Brute IV for $215 CDN. It was made in `78. Plays awesome. It's light and plays clean with no dirt even at high volumes. I don't seem to get feedback with it too. I have tube amps (a Fender Twin, Peavey Classic 30) but I use the Polytone with my archtop.
    Last edited by Chito; 03-18-2009 at 10:00 PM.

User Info Menu

And then, for the ultimate in portability, we've got the Fender (Amp in a) Can. Don't go to the beach without one!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trtjazz
    Evans RE200
    +1

User Info Menu

Hey Chito,

I have two Polytones I have had since 1978, A Teeny-Brute (60 watts I think) and a mini-brute IV (100 watts) with a 15 " speaker. Both are very clean and don't really have any problems at higher volumes. The Teeny Brute has no effects and the Mini-Brute IV has reverb and a distortion effect that I never use. If I lose one of them, I will look for an exact replacement. Before the Polytones I had several different Fender tweed amps and a Benson (Howard Roberts influence). All were OK amps but I like the Polytones best.

wiz

User Info Menu

Wiz,

I got the Polytone last year and it sounds best with my archtop. I tried out my Twin the other day with the archtop and for me there is something about the polytone that brings out the best on an archtop. And yes, I have the reverb and distortion on mine too, which I never use either.

Chito

User Info Menu

Roland Cube 60

Henriksen Jazzamp

Fender Deluxe Reverb

User Info Menu

Roland Cube: if portability prevails over power you can consider the Cube 30 over the Cube 60. I do all my jazz-gigs with it. I can strap it to the back of my bike and for public transport I strap it to a little shopping cart.

The Cube 30 can compete with most jazz-drummers in terms of volume. Though it may not deliver the ultimate state of the art jazztone, it does deliver a good and very convincing tone to my ears. Furthermore the design is very robust and nearly indestructable.

And besides that, I think the cube-serie offers a lot for little money, which is what we jazzplayers are looking for, since jazzmusicians are by definition on a tight budget.....

Are there any other considerations? Are you playing an archtop, semi-hollow or solid-body? Is versatility a consideration? Do you need a functional distortion channel? And where will you usually be playing? I'm a tone geek, but freely admit that I've played a bunch of gigs where people wouldn't have noticed the difference between a Benedetto into an Acoustic Image or a Danelectro into a Crate practice amp. If versatility is not an issue, Acoustic Image makes fantastic clean amps. So does Polytone. The AI tends to have more clarity, Polytone more warmth in my experience, and neither has a usable distortion channel. On the other hand, I once used a Krank (full on metal) combo for a while on jazz gigs. It had tons of clean headroom, and was warmer than almost any tube amp I've ever played on. Not portable, but I'm just saying don't let your assumptions guide you. Play through as many as you can find, with your guitar. Failing that, look for solid return policies and be prepared to pay for some return shipping if you don't feel that your first choice, no matter how well educated, was the correct one. Fortunately for you, you don't have to explain to my wife why the hand-made custom guitar/ amp/ whatever costs so much and still takes weeks/ months to be finished.

Great suggestions, guys. Thanks for that.

I have a fender deluxe reverb, but it is way too heavy. I can't stand lugging it around. It sounds nice though, but for this amp I want something with less color. The AI stuff fits the bill, certainly, but I don't know if that sound can be had for less money. Maybe JazzKat? If not I may spring for one.

I've since checked out the new microcube, with four speakers, and I didn't find the tone to be all that convincing.

I'll work through the suggestions, but I am very busy, so this might take a while. Again, thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by mydoglikessalsa
    Are there any other considerations? Are you playing an archtop, semi-hollow or solid-body? Is versatility a consideration? Do you need a functional distortion channel? And where will you usually be playing?
    Semi hollow, no need for distortion, small ensemble rooms, practice rooms, cafes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
    ... for this amp I want something with less color. The AI stuff fits the bill, certainly, but I don't know if that sound can be had for less money.
    Again: The Phil Jones AAD Cub for US$399 new. Smaller and lighter than the AI Coda or Corus, and sounds very good. If you really need reverb, pair the amp with a stomp box reverb pedal from Boss, Digitech or Tech 21 at a cost of another $100 to $150.

User Info Menu

tiedyeddevil, how's the percievable volume from the CUB? I wonder only because, despite the fact that phil definitely knows a thing or two about acoustics, those little speakers can't be pushing that much air. I'm wondering how it would keep up with a drummer or organ/rhodes player (those cats are always loud!)

i ask, because for the last few months, I've had a friend's polytone at my house, and I've fallen in love with the sound, and it seems to have more volume than i'd ever need (by "5" the thing would drown out any acoustic piano bass and drums combo and keep up with anything, i'd say)

i'm probably gonna make my bud an offer on this thing when he gets back in town, but it's still kinda "big" (over 30 lbs, 15 inch speaker, pretty big footprint)--i'm wondering if the design of the CUB will give me enough spread on my sound that it could compete in louder environments like I mentioned. I can't find one anywhere to try out, but the low price and weight just make me smile...

User Info Menu

Mr. B, a lot depends upon the dynamics of the band. I avoid players who can't play at a "reasonable" volume, and so far the Cub hasn't let me down. While the Cub is surprisingly robust for its size I wouldn't bring it to a rock gig, nor would I attempt to play to a larger room without PA support. (The Cub makes an excellent stage monitor. It's nice to be able to depend upon the EQ of the Cub, rather than hearing my guitar through wedges that have been EQd for vocals.)

The Cub will most definitely play loudly enough for a guitar/piano/drums trio, or for that matter any acoustic ensemble.

User Info Menu

i also have a cube 30. weighing only 20 lbs it is handy and loud enough to take out to practice and gig.

Quote Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil
    Again: The Phil Jones AAD Cub for US$399 new. Smaller and lighter than the AI Coda or Corus, and sounds very good. If you really need reverb, pair the amp with a stomp box reverb pedal from Boss, Digitech or Tech 21 at a cost of another $100 to $150.
    It should be coming today!

User Info Menu

i finally got a cub a few days ago. they are sooo sweet. having my smallest amp also be my most powerful and highest quality is an amazing feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
    It should be coming today!
    So I opened it and it sounds great. One thing really bothers me, though, is the switch from -10dB to 0dB is really cheap. It's probably the same switch model as the lift/ground switch, but I haven't fiddled with that one. Anyway, the contacts aren't solid, so the sound cuts out unless you sort of push it into a place where you do get sound and hope it doesn't move.

Really weird on what otherwise seems like a really solid piece of kit that was factory sealed.

Does anyone know if this is just an attenuator after the amp circuit? Seems like an easy DIY radioshack repair, but I don't want to void the warranty. Looks like I'll have to find an authorized repairer...

User Info Menu

That's too bad, RunningBeagle...

First try flipping the switch back and forth about twenty times. Sometimes the problem is nothing but a bit of oxidation that can be cleared through repeated movement of the switch.

If that doesn't work, I'd suggest that you get the place that sold you the amp to send you a new amp and an RMA number for you to return the broken amp on their dime. You shouldn't have to pay for the return: tell them the amp was DOA.

User Info Menu

can someone explain what the ground lift switch does?

User Info Menu

Short answer: It's the same as a ground lift switch on a DI box.

If that doesn't help: It separates the ground connection on the XLR output. Sometimes that helps to reduce hum on the signal that's sent to the board from the XLR. Most of the time it's not necessary.