The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 101 to 115 of 115

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by callouscallus
    That's cool Patrick, point taken, no offense intended.

Interested in these guitars as I've recently bought an Eastman and became interested in Chinese production guitars and the quality price point. The yunzhi and hotman guitars are even lower price point and I'm just interested to see whats coming out of their factories. I'd love to visit one of these factories.

I just ordered a gypsy guitar built by altamira guitars that are great guitars by some accounts. Another small scale Chinese production company
    I appreciate the level headed response, callous. It does sometimes get a bit "exciting" around here. We're just a whole bunch of pretty good guys and gals trying to get it right. Your previous post referenced the weird vibe prevalent in some of the conversation. Agreed! But . . . Just think how weird . . and boring . . it would be if we were all perfectly polite and perfectly PC. Ughh . . . I get chill and fevers thinking about that! Finding the elusive perfect balance between those two extremes is an on going effort.

Regarding your interest in some of the Chinese guitars referenced in this thread, you might want to start your own thread asking specific questions and soliciting general input. But as a caution, that too will more than likely bring some disagreement . . leading to discourse. Just roll with it. It usually get dialed down on its own.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Hey All as promised I am giving you all an update with my Yolandateam Hollow Body Guitar purchase. First let me say that im not sure the limits of the photos that can be uploaded here so bear with me. Well all was agreed to after purchase. For no extra cost Lora included an extra pick guard and bridge assembly. The guitar finish was done with nitro cellous. After a 4 day wait in customs it was delivered yesterday and fortunately there was no damage to packaging case or guitar.

Please know that I am giving my opinion only and it is an unbiased view and examination.

My first impression is "WOW" !! The guitar was packed well in a case that to be honest is not all that great. From a distance the case looks nice but careful exam shows that it is not the best quality but it is more than what is needed for the guitar.

I examined the guitar and found absolutely no imperfections in its finish. The detail on the fret board and headstock was a work of art! The guitar was clean inside and out. The neck appears to be straight. Although I haven't tried the electronics yet I was impressed with the wiring harness and connections (I will post a follow up on sound and functionality)

I set the floating bridge and intonation and all was great. Strings are a little low I will have to adjust but im am waiting overnight to re tune after strings set in.

So far all is great with this guitar I am more than happy with it...I will let you all know the final results when I finish setup and will try to post some sounds.

George
    Attached Images Attached Images Yolandateam/Yunzhi-151-jpg Yolandateam/Yunzhi-155-jpg Yolandateam/Yunzhi-156-jpg Yolandateam/Yunzhi-157-jpg Yolandateam/Yunzhi-158-jpg Yolandateam/Yunzhi-159-jpg Yolandateam/Yunzhi-160-jpg Yolandateam/Yunzhi-161-jpg Yolandateam/Yunzhi-163-jpg Yolandateam/Yunzhi-165-jpg Yolandateam/Yunzhi-167-jpg Yolandateam/Yunzhi-169-jpg Yolandateam/Yunzhi-170-jpg 

User Info Menu

From design to delivery in less than 90 days!

Congratulations!!!

User Info Menu

Very nice looking guitar. Eagerly awaiting some sound clips.

one question...are two of the tuners black as they appear in the photo or is this some sort of light reflection?

Edh...sound clips coming soon the tuner knobs are black and the tuners themselves are gold.

George

User Info Menu

Gejodi, what is that big black thing on the side of your guitar? What is it supposed to be?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Broyale
    Gejodi, what is that big black thing on the side of your guitar? What is it supposed to be?
    I did a double take on your question, thinking is there an ebony arm rest like a few guys had made... But I think what you see is the sound port hole on the upper bout

User Info Menu

Very nicely presented, George. But I am going to be an outright jerk, twat, douchebag, rectum intestinum flatus and ask you about the neck angle. How is it? What is the string action at the 12th fret? How playable is it up and down the neck?

To my bleary auld eyes, it does not look like the wooden saddle has any room for adjustment. Any guitar that has a neck angle like that calls for a neck reset.

It has nothing to do with its MIC provenance. At any price, one should get a guitar that is playable.

Please let me know that I am sorely mistaken and I shall apologise profusely and gladly and order myself a serving of crow. Not trying to prove anything but the neck angle looks like it belongs on a flat-top, not an archtop.

PS. I have included money-shots of a Le Grand and an L-5CES. You may accuse me of being a Gibson apologist so mea culpa. Take a gander.
    Attached Images Attached Images Yolandateam/Yunzhi-gibsonl5cesnp90-1-jpg Yolandateam/Yunzhi-gibsonlegrand-1-jpg Yolandateam/Yunzhi-epiphoneneckreset-1-jpg 
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 06-28-2014 at 07:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Here's an old thread which may be elucidating: Archtop neck angle? .

Belabouring the point, a neck angle which is 1 degree shallower will result in approximately 0.445" difference in saddle height over a nominal 25.5" scale length; 0.432" over a nominal 24.75" scale length. That's is a little over 7/16th" loss of saddle height adjustability with a concomitant loss of string action.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 06-28-2014 at 01:34 PM.

Broyale....I elected to leave the sound hole there but I could have had it removed in the order....matter of choice...but yes it is a sound port designed in this guitar.

George

Jabberwocky....You are not a jerk and the mere fact that you took the time to read my posts and give constructive advice tells me you are a concerned enthusiast...I thank you for that! No sound clips yet but an update. As was my intention I took this guitar to a local guitar center Luthier. I require a little lower action than normal so I had him file the nut slighty. At the twelfth fret its about 2.3 mm on low e and about 2 on high E. From my original placement of bridge nothing was changed and the intonation is excellent. There is about 3 mm of adjustment left on the bridge. The neck angle is fine ...the luthier found nothing wrong with it and with only a slight adjustment to neck relief there were no other things done to make this guitar play fantastic. I asked the luthier about the construction and playability of this guitar and he said that it rivals a Gibson...his words not mine. The electronics is where I am surprised with. I thought that I would have to make a change but to my surprise at least for now its sound is more than passable. The frets are level and smoothe and again at this point I am extremely happy with this purchase.

When I get some time logged with this I will give a final update and sound clips.

George

User Info Menu

Regarding neck angle:

Since one can shave the bridge bottom to a fair extent, i guess the problem boils down to having a proper string break angle at the bridge.

The Yunzhi i have has a 15 degrees angle for a 2.5mm/6th 2mm/1st @ 12th fret and it looks like most Yunzhis i saw.

But, according to some seemingly knowledgeable guys, even in case of a more shallow angle, provided one has a correct action by "reasonably" shaving the bridge bottom, there may be some margin between reality and the theoretical 12 or 15 normal break angle for an archtop, something like a compromise between volume, roundness of tone and structural security:

"A guitar with a high arch, specially if paired with a thick top, those like Arnold Hoyers, may have cello-like breaking angles and a huge downward pressure for a lifetime. Do that to a typical american archtop or a typical european floating bridge flat-top orchestra guitar (manouches included) and it won't last for many years before the top cracks or collapse. Builders advise to use a 11 or 12 degree breaking angle for optimum results on average archtops. Going further may kill vibration, and going lower my reduce volume but may give a rounder smoother tone. But it all depends on the top structure. There are guitars with 5 or 6 degree breaking angles with a very loud, powerful, fast, lively and bold tone."

Yolandateam/Yunzhi-fj310012_zps3b60f683-jpg

Yolandateam/Yunzhi-fj310007_zps07311e88-jpg

User Info Menu

Hi George, I'm glad it worked out for you. You got a good deal on a well-made guitar. Maybe I would give them a shout myself and ask them to whip up a Lee Rit L5 Sig I was concerned based on my own biases and limited understanding of archtop guitar geometry. Important thing is, you are happy with it, it looks good, plays well, sounds great and all at a great price to boot.

Hi xuoham, thanks for the link. Now I know how little I know.

Play your archtops in good health, guys. May they give you many years of enjoyment.

Think I will drop Lora an email.........

User Info Menu

This is not meant as a criticism since I own and love my 2 Eastmans 810CE & 803CE. But I notice that the Eastmans at least seem to be in the Benedetto design of X bracing,25" scale, and thinner tops and backs than say Gibsons which use both Parallel and X bracing and 25&1/2" scale lengths. Is this something that Yuhzi is willing to do as special order as well?

User Info Menu

Yolandateam/Yunzhi-p9160016-jpgEastman went from a company making violas and cellos to adding jazz guitars to their product line. Originally they approached Bob Benedetto and tried to enlist his help, he was too busy doing his own thing and suggested they get his book on building arch tops. They did and imitation being the highest form of flattery copied his design. My real early Eastman 810 prototype is a dead ringer for a Benedetto Manhattan. They've done so well with that model and those like it that they stuck with it. Yunzhi originally being the other partner with Eastman before they split just kept making the same guitar. So yes, they'll make the Benedetto styles all day, what else they could do I don't know. But you can ask.
    On the right a really early 810 prototype. On the left a Yunzhi 810 with flamed maple binding everywhere. Both are really sweet acoustically (and I used flat wound strings).
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 07-01-2014 at 07:56 AM.