The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Recently I have had an interest in one of the Benedettos produced in the Fender custom shop in Corona mid 2000's. I went to NAMM during this period, played several and thought they were outstanding, wonderful instruments. I was discussing the purchase with a friend and he laughed and said they were called "Fenderettos" and would never have the value of the Bob built guitars, which I somewhat agree with. So if I can buy a 8K Corona guitar or save a little longer and and go for a Bob build mid-nineties (my opinion when he really hit his stride) for 12K, what would you do?
    This is for a working instrument not a case queen.

I would love to hear from any owners of a Corona built Benedetto. Some say it's a Guild with Benedetto on the headstock-no disrespect to Guild as I am a AA player.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

This reply came in but didn't show up on the thread; don't know why...I think Jabberwocky made some excellent points. As noted, I do play out with a '92 Artist Award.

From a collector's point of view, the mid-90s Benedetto for $12K. I am one of those who feels that the Fenderetto (love the nick) is a Guild with Benedetto on the headstock. Good guitars but they are Guilds and not worth the silly money over the 70s-80s Guild AA with the DeArmond 1100 that can be had for $4200 to $4500 each. Besides, some get scared away by its 25 and 5/8" scale length which is just shy of 650mm.

The mid-90s Benedetto is made by Bob. And will remain as a few of its kind.

For playing out, I won't be looking at either. A plain ol' AA, if you like Guilds or an L-5C, if you don't.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    I am one of those who feels that the Fenderetto (love the nick) is a Guild with Benedetto on the headstock. Good guitars but they are Guilds and not worth the silly money over the 70s-80s Guild AA with the DeArmond 1100 that can be had for $4200 to $4500 each. Besides, some get scared away by its 25 and 5/8" scale length which is just shy of 650mm.

The above statement is just one person's personal opinion, I've owned Rhode Island Guilds and Benedetto Guilds, both are very well made, good sounding guitars. I still own a Benedetto Guild, but I've sold the older Rhode Island Guilds.

The instrument I am considering selling my 92 AA (westerly of course) for is a 06 Benedetto Fratello built in the Corona shop. Was mostly looking for anyone that owned a Benedetto Manhattan or Fratello from that period. My understanding was those two models were the only solid wood carved instruments with the Benedetto name on the headstock during that time. I have played the Guild AA's from that period after the "redesign," excellent. There are a couple on the market, however I'm interested in the two models mentioned above.

User Info Menu

No, not my understanding at all about the carved bit.

That was the dirty little secret as far as i was concerned. The JSAA's were made by the same guys who made the Manhattans and Fratellos, and were "an upscale bargain"! The only essential differences were; (1) the figuring of the wood, (2) the aging/seasoning of the wood, and (3) the scale length. But then the latter is what gave the JSAA those wonderful acoustic overtone properties that a 25" scale length just could not/can not replicate.

a 90's era Bob built instrument (Manhattan or Fratello) should go for over $20K as far as I know...
    Last edited by fumblefingers; 03-27-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Benedetto (used, 1996) Manhattan Model - Mandolin Brothers, Ltd.

Benedetto (used, 1989) Manhattan Model - Mandolin Brothers, Ltd.

FF, here are two Manhattans from that era on the market in the 12K asking range. I also know of another '96 which I played that was on the market for several months at the around the same asking price. Superb guitar. So 20K for a Bob built seems to be about 8K high in todays market-maybe somewhere down the road they will command that.

I do agree very much about the scale length. It is huge part of why I love my 92 AA. As I advance in age that same longer scale can become challenging on a 3 hour gig. I carry my 05 Pisano 880 as a back up and if the gig goes over about 3 hours I switch to that instrument.

So problem solved, right?

User Info Menu

i guess my price memory was pre-2008. that's when the world changed.

so, it seems to me that the sunburst one is in better shape according to the description. someone should really jump on that.

User Info Menu

I like that 1989 Manhattan a lot. I have a 1989 Fratello and it is a great guitar. Bob was still building in Florida at that time and his guitars were getting a lot of attention. I am one of the people who believes that the guitars that Bob built during that period through his days in Stroudsburg, are likely to be good investments over the long term. They are as good as it gets and he is certainly one of the most respected luthiers of all time.

I have played a few a Corona-built Benedetto's over the years and they were excellent as well. I actually thought they weren't much different than my original one, so I don't think it's accurate to say they are Guilds with the Benedetto name on them (not that there is anything wrong with a Guild). Bob was retained to redesign the Guild line at that time, while also overseeing the production of the Benedetto's, which I understood were being built to his original specs. The hand carved Corona Benedetto's were very expensive when they were new, but ended up being much more affordable on the used market a few years later. I noticed they were a tough sell in the years after the Fender-Benedetto arrangement ended, so it's pretty hard to predict how the market value of the Corona Benedetto's will hold up in the long run. At the right price, you would be getting a very high quality guitar, but I would probably be careful how much I had to put into one though. At $8k, you might be safe, but you're not that far off the price of the originals that Mandolin Bros. have right now. I feel that the future value of those two is a little more predictable.

Keith.

Thank you for your insight, Keith. It is exactly what I was looking for. I doubt the Corona built guitars will ever lose value; as you point out excellent instruments on a extremely high level in my experience. At 8K or very close I think a safe bet.
    Again, for another "mere" 4K the two Bob builds at Mandolin Bros or other sellers (they don't come up for sale often) would be a sure thing if I can swing it. The sun, moon and stars will have to line up perfectly. As I stated this is for a working instrument. Kind of ironic that 4k will purchase a fantastic guitar by itself-however not my path.
    Yes, indeed, FumbleFingers, someone should jump on either one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I like that 1989 Manhattan a lot. I have a 1989 Fratello and it is a great guitar. Bob was still building in Florida at that time and his guitars were getting a lot of attention. I am one of the people who believes that the guitars that Bob built during that period through his days in Stroudsburg, are likely to be good investments over the long term. They are as good as it gets and he is certainly one of the most respected luthiers of all time.

I have played a few a Corona-built Benedetto's over the years and they were excellent as well. I actually thought they weren't much different than my original one, so I don't think it's accurate to say they are Guilds with the Benedetto name on them (not that there is anything wrong with a Guild). Bob was retained to redesign the Guild line at that time, while also overseeing the production of the Benedetto's, which I understood were being built to his original specs. The hand carved Corona Benedetto's were very expensive when they were new, but ended up being much more affordable on the used market a few years later. I noticed they were a tough sell in the years after the Fender-Benedetto arrangement ended, so it's pretty hard to predict how the market value of the Corona Benedetto's will hold up in the long run. At the right price, you would be getting a very high quality guitar, but I would probably be careful how much I had to put into one though. At $8k, you might be safe, but you're not that far off the price of the originals that Mandolin Bros. have right now. I feel that the future value of those two is a little more predictable.

Keith.
    agreed. i remember the price depreciation on used guitars after the Benedetto/Fender deal ended. if the guitars are still in that low range they are excellent buys.

i'm not really certain how Benedetto guitars are better now than they were then either. Bob is all but retired and travels to the shop every n weeks. that was the Corona arrangement too, at least as i read it. at least one thing is different now - more models and more customization. and the shop was created by Bob and his business partner Howard. it stands to reason that the shop and methods are better now, but i don't know how or why.
    Last edited by fumblefingers; 03-28-2014 at 09:54 AM.

I have only been able to play two of the Savannah built Benedettos-a Bravo and the Andy in the photo. There is a very detailed shop tour on youtube with Jimmy Bruno where all the craftsman are introduced. What I took from it is Bob is kind of like the pope and the finished instruments are inspected by him personally if they have an issue he sends back to the shop.
    A new Manhattan or Fratello is 20K.
    I did have the pleasure of playing this Andy. What a cool guitar, like a super ES-140. Over the top workmanship, played better than butta. The short scale took some getting used to however after some time with it I could fly. Last time I looked it was on the bay for about 9K- about a 3K savings from a new one. As you can tell the Andy would put a smile on anyone's face!!
    Attached Images Attached Images "Fenderettos?"-bene-andy-jpg 

User Info Menu

I have no personal experience with the Fenderetto's but I just LOVE my Bob-built 1990 Manhattan that I got last month
    This is a GREAT instrument , well-worth every penny. Super comfy neck shape with a 1-3/4 nut, loud acoustically, very nice thick warm round tone. I am definately not a pro player like some of you guys but I have quite a bit of stuff to compare; and this is just as good any guitar old or new that I ever played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    ...I just LOVE my Bob-built 1990 Manhattan that I got last month...
    I was waiting for Frank to pipe in and I am glad he did.

User Info Menu

I have played quite a few Benedetto's - originals, Fender/Guilds and savannah models. I thought they were all good. I like my Bob-built Fratello, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's better than the others. I just think it is cool to have one that was from that early era.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I've collected and owned the best Archtops made over a 35 year span- including real D'Aquistos D'Angelicos, Monteleones and Benedetto's. Since Bobs marketing strategy with Guild , Fender and now Savanagh, his handmade guitars have lost considerable value- and you could easily pickup a hand made Benedetto for 10k if you haggle. That will always be worth more than anything else with his name on it. Good luck.

Thanks very much for the inspiration! I continue on my quest and will remember the haggle factor.