The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zulay
    Woody is my dad. It is very nice to see so many people make such wonderful comments about his craft. He has been building his guitars my whole life, I grew up around band saws and saw dust. He was recently featured in Essence Magazines holiday gift guide. His website is up and running, and I have convinced him to open an instagram account. You can get info at Phifer Guitars, Master Guitar Maker and instagram @phiferguitars
    Don't know anything about your dad the person, but he is obviously a HELL of a guitar maker. Learn from him.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds sweet. That's the sound I go for.

User Info Menu

Hey Zulay,

You should bug your dad to post a Facebook page as well, it's a great way to post updates and galleries of his work, as well as for followers to join.

I'm a big fan of his work... which reminds me of a project I want to bounce off him...

Cheers!
    Ken

User Info Menu

What a cool thread. It's been around for close to four years come back from the dead about four times, each time with some really cool new information. Zulay, thanks so much for making an appearance and give your father our best. The combination of Ronny and that guitar have brought a lot of people a great deal of musical joy.

User Info Menu

Dang, I thought every guitarist had heard this Miles cover by Ronny. I really dug the British acid jazz/funk thing when it took off, very influential stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    What a cool thread. It's been around for close to four years come back from the dead about four times, each time with some really cool new information. Zulay, thanks so much for making an appearance and give your father our best. The combination of Ronny and that guitar have brought a lot of people a great deal of musical joy.
    Jim: Woody has been a regular exhibitor at the Woodstock Invitational guitar showcase, and at other shows as well. Very approachable guy. I don't follow the West Coast shows too much, but he may be at one of those in the future as well.

User Info Menu

How do pronounce his name? "Fifer?"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Jim: Woody has been a regular exhibitor at the Woodstock Invitational guitar showcase, and at other shows as well. Very approachable guy. I don't follow the West Coast shows too much, but he may be at one of those in the future as well.
    It may be a long time before I get to another guitar show. We're leaning towards making the move to Mexico permanent in the fall.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    It may be a long time before I get to another guitar show. We're leaning towards making the move to Mexico permanent in the fall.
    Not six months + one day/year in Canada and the rest of the time down south?

User Info Menu

Woody regularly exhibits at the Woodstock Invitational Luthier’s Showcase in October. I have also seen Woody display at the Artisan Guitar Show last year in Harrisburg, PA.

I believe the Artisan Guitar Show will again be in Harrisburg next April and Woodstock in October 2018. Two west coast shows that are more in Jim’s current neck of the woods are the La Conner show next May and the Vancouver show in August 2018.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Not six months + one day/year in Canada and the rest of the time down south?
    I don't think so. That one's a lot harder to pull off for us. Much easier to simply live in Mexico. Probably Guadalajara (which we quite fell in love with) although we haven't spent any time in San Miguel De Allende yet. We'll be there for January and part of February.

User Info Menu

In his own words:

User Info Menu

Here's a whole concert of Ronny playing live. It's impressive how much of the music is based on him soloing and how accessible it all is. Great band too! I have a lot of his CDs, but don't think I've heard "The Antidote", gotta check it out!

I've always wondered about the guitar, cause this band must have been playing in volumes that would challenge an archtop, so have searched about it in the past. They seem to be unique instruments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    Here's a whole concert of Ronny playing live. It's impressive how much of the music is based on him soloing and how accessible it all is. Great band too! I have a lot of his CDs, but don't think I've heard "The Antidote", gotta check it out!

I've always wondered about the guitar, cause this band must have been playing in volumes that would challenge an archtop, so have searched about it in the past. They seem to be unique instruments.

Like, this was Ronnie's pinnacle sound... I'll never get tired of listening to Ronnie Jordan... or reading this thread!