The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 118

User Info Menu

Hello,

New poster here. After reading of the threads here and elsewhere I placed an order with Lora from Yunzhi yesterday evening. I've been jonesing for a 17" non-cutaway acoustic archtop for some time. I asked for everything pretty much standard except I asked for x-bracing, a 3.25" deep body, and a pick guard added (with no pickup). I like the aesthetics of a pick guard on an archtop and I figured it will make it easy to add a floating pickup later if I so desire. I sent them a picture of a dark red wine stained eastman 810 for the finish, which I've heard can be risky if you are too picky, but I decided to go for it.

I'm excited, I'm not expecting a flawless guitar, but from what I've heard and read they seem to be a great value for the money.

Anyway, now that the ordering is done. I find myself playing the waiting game. Anyone who's ordered a custom Yunzhi, how long did you have to wait to get your hands on it? before you got the first pictures?

-Jim

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was in sort of early on Yunzhi. I ordered a YZ23 as it was called back then (some 3 years ago plus), in other words a copy of an AR880 John Pisano, I asked for their best woods, a floating pickup instead of a set in pickup and block inlays ala a L5. I sent photos and Mr Lora and I had so many pleasant back and forth exchanges I felt like I made a friend. I got my first pictures about 5 weeks into it, of the body, then later shots of it after it had been in the spray booth, then it go quiet for a week or two while it dried. But all of a sudden I got word it was ready to go. From order to delivery it was 10 weeks. I don't know anyone that can crank them out that fast. I suspect they have many nice bodies already assembled so if you order one of their "standard models", in other words ones already listed on the site, and don't ask for any weird options it goes pretty quick, like I said about 10 weeks. They're getting more business so I would imagine it's maybe 10 to 12 weeks if things are hectic there.

Keep us posted, I'll be very interested to see what you get delivered.

Mike

User Info Menu

Hi, I just wanted to add here and thank all the posts about Yunzhi.

I was looking at similar priced Ibanez guitars, but my problem is that I live in Beijing and I just can't get hold of any archtops except an Eastman way out of my price range (and actually when I played it, not much fun at all)- probably poorly set up with piano wire strings.

Anyway - I did some research and thought - seriously ? A Chinese hand crafted guitar for how much? So I researched reviews and there it is - many positive comments about Yunzhi on this and other sites. And now being in Beijing becomes a plus.

I feel very fortunate because I suggested to Lora that I try some ready made guitars in the beijing office (their factory is about 2 hours drive away). She is amazing - she follows up - and has enough English to communicate and we have arranged to bring some guitars to Beijing.

I have got a great price on a hand crafted guitar due to no shipment, I get to play it as well (actually I asked to try three for comparison) but my heart is set on the (what Lora calls ) Archaizeed colour 17" guitar.

So like you JLmorgan84, I am anticipating with great excitement trying out these guitars. if I get to do it soon (possibly next week) I shall be happy to report back what I find. (Probably with one clutched in my hands.)

Thanks again everyone - I would never have thought to look at Chinese brands - but feel confident this is the way to go, especially a sI am already here.

Watch this space...
    Last edited by Duniku; 03-25-2014 at 10:44 AM.

User Info Menu

Congratulations !

Just received mine two weeks ago !

I guess it will make you as happy as i am !

@Duniku: wow, so you were in the Lion's den, uh ? I guess that was much fun. So cool to play and choose.
    So, did the guitars sound rather even or were there clearly better ones for the same specs ballpark ?

User Info Menu

Hi there,

I haven't visited yet but expect to next week. They are currently bringing the guitars from the factory to the office. Your question is good and one I also have which is why I was so keen to try at least three of the same model.

I will definitely get back to this thread when I have played them. I have also just recently played a peerless Kenny Burrell (not in China) which I thought was amazing so this is my benchmark test. I can't afford the Peerless so hoping to get something similar - I am hoping the Yunzhu name will keep the price down but the quality up.

User Info Menu

Hi there,

I promised to get back to you about my visit to the 'lion's den'.

I bought my guitar today! These instruments are well made - I was impressed with the fact that they truly have an excellent acoustic sound. I really didn't expect that - even though I have played countless top end Arch Tops.

It was an amazing experience going to the office of the factory where these are made. Anyone planning to buy and have shipped, rest assured these guitars are packed really well - I saw huge triangle shaped boxes with the hard case inside and guitar inside that ready to ship. The cases are heavy but tough.

The guitars are not exactly the same in sound - but then what two quality guitars sound the same? Each had character though. I opted for a slightly darker sound as I am not looking for too much of the hot club five sound that the sunburst had - acoustically a lovely sound as well - just brighter.

My verdict - you cannot go wrong with these guitars - yes, the tone varies a little between guitars but based on my experience, you won't get a dud. If you did, the company through Lora offers a complete customer service follow through.

I speak NO Chinese and the Chinese (one man, one woman) I dealt with have no English but I loved the fact that the guy was a good guitarist - it adds credibility to the company - sales people who know their product.

I couldn't be happier. I have a hand crafted, beautiful sounding and looking instrument for around 800 US dollars! I have played 2500 dollars guitars and some costing a lot more without getting close to this sound and playability.

Anyone who is nervous about buying a 'Yunzhi' - don't be, the no name brand means hundreds of dollars are knocked off the price compared to a brand name. But watch this space - I predict these guitars will make their mark.

I was sceptical, but I am converted. I could not be happier!
    Attached Images Attached Images Ordered a Yunzhi Guitar-yunzhi-2-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Duniku
    My verdict - you cannot go wrong with these guitars - yes, the tone varies a little between guitars but based on my experience, you won't get a dud. If you did, the company through Lora offers a complete customer service follow through.

I speak NO Chinese and the Chinese (one man, one woman) I dealt with have no English but I loved the fact that the guy was a good guitarist - it adds credibility to the company - sales people who know their product.

Congratulations and thanks for reporting ! Happy playing !

User Info Menu

Yunzhi new guitar reports are my favorite.

User Info Menu

​I'm really happy that you got to go to the office and picked out a guitar that really pleased you. Nice Life, to be able to pick thru an assortment of instruments RIGHT THERE...

Keep us posted !!

User Info Menu

This was my first Yunzhi, got it used on eBay. Had a KK Pure Western pickup mounted inside the top under the bridge (double stick tape). Lovely loud thing, great comfy neck. Was a real fancy AR810 with wood binding everywhere... Gorgeous wood.

great wood and flame maple binding

Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 04-04-2014 at 11:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Duniku - What a great experience being able to visit the front office. Wish they had factory tours and it was practical for me to bop off to China. Hmm.. actually I could. But flying back with several guitars might be challenging. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience.

Mike - I've said it before and will say it again: Thanks for the positive posts you made back when that got many of us to try these guitars. I enjoy working on and playing mine every single day.

User Info Menu

Hey congrats on ordering a Yunzhi and will echo what's been said about the help received on these pages about these guitars. You guys were a major factor in choosing my guitar with your knowledge. Enjoy playing it.

I thought I would post the pictures I receive along the way, in case anyone is interested in the process. These are the first I've gotten from Lora, of the top and back roughly carved.

Flame and figuring aren't that important to me, so I did not request premium woods. These are the standard fare I suppose. There is a little flame on the back that may show up more once it's finished.

Ordered a Yunzhi Guitar-mmexport1396961844735-jpgOrdered a Yunzhi Guitar-mmexport1396961815003-jpg

User Info Menu

As promised when Asedas asked - I can now post an mp3.

Here is one file - please tolerate my playing as I am a) still recovering from my injury and b) still getting used to the thicker strings - that's right, I haven't even changed the factory strings yet!

You will hear:

1) 'Have yourself a merry..' etc...(sorry not seasonal) Pickup turned to full treble for 1,2,3
    2) A really bad short solo but gives you the idea.
    3) Poor imitation of a Pat Metheny song from Question and Answer - you can hear an interesting phase with open E and stopped E (no effects used at all.) Pretty sure its the guitar is in tune so I was quite surprised (pleasantly)
    4) Acoustic recording of a textural sequence
    5) Acoustic recording 'Don't get around much anymore' - or hardly at all the way I played it!

I used no effects - no reverb, no mixing, no mastering 1,2,3 are direct line into zoom recorder and 4 and 5 are using the condenser mic.

Using the factory Williamson PU.

Your thoughts are welcome.
    Attached Files Attached Files

User Info Menu

The acoustic recordings are quite wonderful. Nice voice for any archtop.

User Info Menu

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I very much enjoyed your recordings and your playing. If you are currently impaired, you must be quite a good player when you are at 100%. I agree that the guitar sounds nice as it comes from the factory.

Of course.. swap the strings with something like TI Jazz BeBop .013's and you'll bring out more of the acoustic sound. Quite a lot more actually. Also a different pickup (I'm not a fan of the factory Wilkinson). These two small changes and you'll have a guitar that will keep you up at night.

User Info Menu

Thanks Duniku for posting this.

Yes, indeed, great playing, great recording.

Maybe Yunzhi should start a "testimony" page on their site, little by little many recordings being accumulated.

I really enjoyed the acoustic part (btw the Zoom does a great job) with that small room reverb that matched pretty good those lively mids and sparkling highs.
    The electric part is not on par sound wise and pickup wise , muddy and ... well ... no good.
    As to be expected.
    I am so impressed by the Kent Armstrong hand wound PAF i upgraded !
    And it is already balanced for acoustic strings. I have some 80/20 bronze acoustic guitar strings and the electric sound is perfect.

"Sparkling highs", yes ! Very lush and delicate. After i heard your guitar i checked many acoustic archtop recordiings, other Yunzhis, my Yunzhi, Gibsons, Collings, etc... each has its strong points but yours definitely has one of the sweetest trebles.
    What do you mean by "getting used to the thicker strings", do they fell like a heavy gauge or something ?
    On the contrary, your acoustic recording sounds like you have lighter strings on it, .
    Kind of jangly (for lack of better word) in a good way.

To my inexperienced and ignorant ears, this guitar sounds a bit like the top is thinner.
    I guess it's not the case but anyway, very vibrant sound !

Definitely you chose a good one !

This is the recording of a guy who hurt his left hand index, just got a new, not yet opened up guitar, with old strings, ... ...? ...

Now i am very curious of it's gonna sound after many hours of playing.
    Last edited by xuoham; 04-12-2014 at 09:05 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlmorgan84
    Flame and figuring aren't that important to me, so I did not request premium woods. These are the standard fare I suppose. There is a little flame on the back that may show up more once it's finished.
    It looks good to me. It's a nice change from the standard flame maple.
    I like those swirls !

Maple is tricky to photograph, after a second look i can see almost subliminally the horizontal flames.
    I guess with just a slightly different angle this back would look different.

And for the top, in case you are a bit surprised by the white strip, i had one, a bit smaller, but it's not as radical as on the picture. The wood grain continues on the white zone and it ads some nice personality.

Anyway, wood is wood, a beautiful godsend ! )

... but i'm sure it's gonna be a very sweet baby !

Here's a few more I received yesterday of the neck roughly carved and the body glued together. Can't wait to see what it looks like finished.

Ordered a Yunzhi Guitar-img_7626-jpgOrdered a Yunzhi Guitar-img_7627-jpg

User Info Menu

Oh! Two ocarinas in the right f-hole !

The Jackpot sign !

User Info Menu

I'm in Jersey, I'd get up in the middle of the night to see if I had any email/photos from Ms. Lora. NOPE. But 4 hours or so later I'd get up and YES !!! There was news from Bejing... It's really exciting going thru the whole choosing/ordering/waiting process...
    Enjoy !!

Ordered a Yunzhi Guitar-dsc_0015-jpgOrdered a Yunzhi Guitar-img_4348-jpgOrdered a Yunzhi Guitar-img_4351-jpg
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 04-13-2014 at 09:32 AM.

User Info Menu

how much does it cost to get such guitar (i.e. copy of this pisano) with shipping?

User Info Menu

Don't know what shipping would be to Poland or what extra taxes would be levied. Most of my Yunzhi's here in the US have been $1000-$1100 with the least being $850 and the most being $1250. Pretty easy to get a quote from them if you have a model in mind.

User Info Menu

Does the price contains the hardshell case too?

User Info Menu

What Spook said, contact them with what you want:
    model
    choice of woods
    type of binding
    block inlays or no inlays
    floating or set into the top pickup

I did this via email with Ms Lora for my Pisano and delivered EMS with the best woods they had, alternating redwood/flame maple binding, floating pickup, block mop inlays it was $1100.00 in a nice sturdy tweed covered case... I did half the money as a down payment and half a week or so later. They started work as soon as I had put half down as the deposit, it took about 10, maybe 11 weeks until it got here. I was so pleased with the whole experience I PayPal'ed a gratuity (a tip) so Ms Lora could buy tea and treats for the office and artisans...

Ordered a Yunzhi Guitar-dsc_0009-jpg