The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 118

User Info Menu

Thanks for sharing, Mike. Looks great - very similar, in fact, to what I ordered through Lora a week or so ago (except mine will be with a built-in humbucker).

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A completion pic rather than progress.. should be in transit. Curious to see how the mahogany is going to sound.

User Info Menu

Spook very very nice. ¿Is the neck also mahogany?

User Info Menu

Hi, gcb,

This is Lora, I can answer this question for you. Yes,The neck is 3pcs mahogany combined together. Tops is solid spruce, back and side are solid mahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by gcb
    Spook very very nice. ¿Is the neck also mahogany?

User Info Menu

I'm interested in maybe getting one of these. Are the prices quoted including import duties, I'm talking about people that have gone thru the process and have quoted what they paid

User Info Menu

callous,

Depends on what country you are in... Specify where you are.

And the prices quoted DO NOT include import duties, I'm sure if you've lived where you are long you already know about your countries VAT or other import tax schemes... Ask your friends if they've ever imported and what they paid.

I know I'm in America and I paid no duties at all. My YZ23 (the John Pisano copy in Maple) cost me $1100.00 shipped EMS, that was 3 plus years ago. Figure out which model you want, what quality woods (I specified the very best) and what other features. She and the Artisans get their heads together and quote you the price.

You will have a hard time finding a better deal. Ms. Lora works her ass off to get you what you want.

Good luck in deciding.

User Info Menu

Hi Randy,

I appreciate hearing your side of things concerning economic movement and agree with much of it. I understand that industry is being taken away from America - but isn't that the point? A Chinese/Thai/Vietnamese/Cambodian will do the same work for cheaper - making the product cheaper.

But to keep this thread relevant - I was surprised by your comment that you vote with your check book. In a music forum on guitars and sound, I feel you should be voting with your ears..

A few more photos. Getting close. Should ship by the end of the month. Can't wait to get this guitar in hand!

User Info Menu

Wow, beautiful finish and bindings look great. Congrats!

Your order is a couple of steps ahead of mine. (Body has been glued, awaiting assembly with neck and bindings - I'll post pictures when the finish has been applied, for general interest and as a service to anyone else who considers taking the plunge...)

Here's the completed guitar. Had a small delay as I asked Lora to change around the shape of the pick guard. Excited to see how it plays when it arrives.

Ordered a Yunzhi Guitar-qq-20140526140256-jpg
    Ordered a Yunzhi Guitar-img_0083-jpg
    Ordered a Yunzhi Guitar-img_0077-jpg
    Ordered a Yunzhi Guitar-img_0088-jpg

User Info Menu

Congratulations !

The wait must be hard ...

Very cool looking, man ! Good move on the pickguard, on a non cutaway version this looks terrific.
    A round pickguard fits the tailpiece so much better.

Seeing this, i wonder what would have been an archtop designed by Gaudi ...

User Info Menu

Looking great!

"I wonder what would have been an archtop designed by Gaudi" - A helluva lot of inlays, I imagine.

Just thought I would put a cap on this thread. I received my guitar yesterday, and the short of it is I couldn't be happier. This is a very well made guitar! Fit and finish are great, plays easily, has a loud even tone and is very responsive. If I had one nit to pick it would be that I wish it came with a better case, which is basically one step above cardboard, but hard to complain at this price point.

Anyway, my experience was great. Would definitely order from Lora/Yunzhi again if I found myself in need of another archtop.

-Jim
    Last edited by jlmorgan84; 06-26-2014 at 10:39 PM.

User Info Menu

​So glad you got it safely and you like it.

Here's a photo of the guitar it its new natural habitat. I'm having a hard time putting it down, and find myself already scheming on a 17" oval-hole arch top. Will take some time to figure out how to explain that one to the wife, so I'll probably have some time to work on the design. Can't say enough great things about Lora and artists at Yunzhi/Yolandateam.

Ordered a Yunzhi Guitar-guitar-jpg

-Jim
    Last edited by jlmorgan84; 06-27-2014 at 11:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Gotta love that design. Timeless, yet sleek and modern.

User Info Menu

Congrats, good to hear it turned up safe and sound, and that it's a peach. Certainly looks great! Now I can't wait for mine to be finished... Damn it...

User Info Menu

In case anyone's interested, a couple of pics of my Yolanda/Yunzhi in progress. I just received them today, to approve the colour before they carry on. Basically a take on the John Pisano, and yes, I was greatly inspired by BigMike's photos when I decided on this finish. (Basically everyone here has been helpful, but especially BigMike and Spook have provided invaluable information along the way, so thumbs up, guys!)
    Ordered a Yunzhi Guitar-side_w-finish-jpgOrdered a Yunzhi Guitar-front_w-finish-jpgOrdered a Yunzhi Guitar-back_w-finish-jpgOrdered a Yunzhi Guitar-headstock-jpg

User Info Menu

​It looks great !! That headstock shape is the understated tribute to everything that was D'Angelico New Yorker (thinking of the inlay on the headstock specifically). They're a very comfortable size guitar: 16x2 3/4 (roughly). Gorgeous wood selection !!!!

User Info Menu

It actually reminds me of luthier Bill Moll's (retired) headstocks...
    Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 07-18-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Looks great! That amber stain does make a nice color.

Just thought I would add, by way of information for anyone considering ordering one of these guitars...

After the honeymoon period wore off, I noticed some buzzing around the 12th fret. I ended up taking in it for a complete fret level, crowning and setup. A few of the frets had popped up and needed to be reseated and leveled. Now it plays even better than before. Still very pleased with the guitar.

Some have said this before, but if you're considering one of these guitars I would mentally budget ~100-150 bucks for a good setup and some fretwork. You may not have any issues, but they do essentially come straight from the factory.

-Jim

User Info Menu

I always told people what great guitars you get from Yunzhi and now TeamYolanda - but to expect to factor in some money for a new pickup, some basic setup and new wiring/pots. After 3 years I took my Yunzhi in for a recarve on the neck, a Bartolini floating pickup and Schatten volume/tone pots. A lot of more traditional jazz guys might like the neck, more of a early 50's carve fat neck, I don't wanna say baseball bat fat, but fatter than I liked. I also got a new pick guard made, looks a lot like the John Pisano pick guard but a wee bit bigger. It's going to be attached to the body in a more traditional way: with the pickup attached to the neck ala Johnny Smith and the guard with a side bracket to hold up some of that weight, we'll still use the side screw holes on the neck for the top part. I can't wait to get it back. I remember waaaay back when I got that old Eastman 810/Benedetto Manhattan clone. Part of the deal was an old Kent Armstrong hand wound Benedetto pickup, the improvement of a good setup and that Armstrong pickup (the epoxy filled smaller floater) was unbelievable. Rich and fat...

This is a shot of a Yunzhi made 810 5th Anniversary I got on eBay for $600.00 used and and to the right of it my Eastman 810 prototype...

Ordered a Yunzhi Guitar-p9160016-jpg

NILS,

You hear anything more yet ?? From what I remember from my order you must be a couple weeks away from delivery by now. That is such a lovely back, it truly reminds me of my order.

Ordered a Yunzhi Guitar-dsc_0018-jpg
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 07-18-2014 at 03:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jlmorgan84
    Just thought I would add, by way of information for anyone considering ordering one of these guitars...

After the honeymoon period wore off, I noticed some buzzing around the 12th fret. I ended up taking in it for a complete fret level, crowning and setup. A few of the frets had popped up and needed to be reseated and leveled. Now it plays even better than before. Still very pleased with the guitar.

Some have said this before, but if you're considering one of these guitars I would mentally budget ~100-150 bucks for a good setup and some fretwork. You may not have any issues, but they do essentially come straight from the factory.

-Jim
    Yep.. and money for a new pickup and wiring harness. I did my own so it was just the price of parts.

One of mine did need the frets worked on. Had some sharp ends poking out. The rest have been OK. I also take them in to have the strap pin installed where I like it on the upper bout (another good reason to have a port).

Other things are possible. A friend ordered a 25.5" scale and while the neck correct, the body wasn't. They just move the bridge down the slope farther than it should be which isn't quite right. He just got it and he's still figuring out what's up. Also my last one requires a bottomed bridge for the right string height. Not a big deal to fix with a bit of carving around the posts and for now it's fine. As you said, it's a direct factory guitar and while they are far better than we have a right to expect, it's better if the buyer is a little knowledgeable or can come to this forum to get answers for minor fixes.

Sometimes I wonder how long this can last.

User Info Menu

So how does the ordering work with Yunzhi?

I found a model I like and it's only $1350

They are asking for 50% down and a 2 month wait

Do they take paypal or what?

And I guess I can have my own brand name put on it ... so I have to come up with a brand name