The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hello all! I'm new to the forum, I've just registered a couple of minutes ago. I've been reading posts and lessons for quite a long time though...

I'm a passionate Jazz student and I have a Gibson Les Paul but now I'd like to get myself an archtop to play just Jazz. I've found some nice guitars, but I don't know exactly which is the best.
    I've seen some pretty Peerless; I like the Gigmaster Jazz, the Jazz City and the Monarch. My main concern about the last one is that it has no tone knob...
    I've read some nice reviews of the Eastman AR371, which is the cheapest among the archtops I can afford.
    Then a few days ago I read about the D'Angelico EXL-1. This is he one I like the most, but it is also de most expensive.

The question is: for you guys, what's the best archtop for about 1300 euros?

And also: is the D'angelico worth the extra money it costs?

Thank you very much.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jazz City and the Monarch

User Info Menu

I really like my Peerless Monarch. I don't notice any issue not having a tone adjustment on the guitar...

I tried the Eastman AR371, this weekend. Really nice feel and tone. A bit smaller than my Monarch (and different top wood) so the acoustic voice is smaller but a nice sounding/playing instrument for the money.

User Info Menu

I haven't played the Eastman 371 but I see the nut width is 1 3/4" as opposed to 1 11/16", and the body is 16" wide, persuasive points for me, I have large hands and also find 17" guitars too big.
    The Peerless are good value, and very popular, a friend has a Monarch which he is now finding a bit large at 17", but its a personal preference thing.

The new D'Angelicos look like very good value, but not actually seen one yet, this side of the pond.

Best advice is to try them, if you can, and see if any of them speak to you. Good luck. Bear in mind that whatever you get, you'll probably change it after a while - its what guitarists do!
    Last edited by bananafist; 03-10-2014 at 06:27 AM.

Thank you all for answering so quickly.

So I think my main 3 options are the Jaz City, the Monarch and the D'Angelico. I'll see if I can find them in a shop and give them a try, to see which sounds the best to me. It's quite difficult though, these guitars are quite rare in my country. The only models I've seen in shop are some expensive Gibsons, Epiphones and the Godin 5th Ave guitars.

Please let me know is somebody gets to play the D'Angelico.

So finally I've decided to spend a little more money and I wanted to ask about your opinions on the D'Aquisto Jazz Line. I have the opportunity to buy a second hand one in extremely good condition. Love the natural flamed maple finish.

User Info Menu

Hello - You don't mention which country you're located in, but since you're asking prices in Euro I assume you're somewhere in Western Europe. The guitars you've mentioned are all interesting, but there's a Heritage archtop offered on eBay Germany right now in your price range that you might want to consider:

Heritage 576 ASB Jazzgitarre, Made in USA | eBay

(I have no affiliation with the seller or with eBay, just thought you'd like to know)

Good luck archtop hunting!

I've been doing some research on eBay and found a nice looking guitar. I was looking for a good priced ES175 and came across the ES165 Herb Ellis (the one with humbucker). Looks nearly identical to the 175, but with only one pickup and some minor cosmetic details. A 175 from USA would go for around 2600 whereas the 165 is almost 600 euros cheaper.

What do you think about it? I do like the looks but I want to be sure about the quality of the sound and construction (I've heard about some problems with the tailpiece, nothing too serious though).

Oh and thanks for replying cmajor9.

User Info Menu

Where are you located ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mikethepaul
    I've been doing some research on eBay and found a nice looking guitar. I was looking for a good priced ES175 and came across the ES165 Herb Ellis (the one with humbucker). Looks nearly identical to the 175, but with only one pickup and some minor cosmetic details. A 175 from USA would go for around 2600 whereas the 165 is almost 600 euros cheaper.

What do you think about it? I do like the looks but I want to be sure about the quality of the sound and construction (I've heard about some problems with the tailpiece, nothing too serious though).
    You can't go wrong with an ES165 or 175 I have one myself, nothing wrong with the sound and construction and I've never heard of any problems with the tailpieces. Check this video out.

Last edited by TonyB56; 04-09-2014 at 05:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fws6
    Where are you located ?

I'm from Spain

Hey, It's me again!

I'm writing because I've found a pretty good deal on a Gibson ES175. Well, I think it's a good price, that's why I'm asking. It's a 2007 Wine Red ES175 and costs 2100 euros.

Is it a good price? I cannot try it out, is it a good deal? It is in Spain, so I would get rid of any unexpected taxes or anything.

Thank you again

User Info Menu

Go for the d'aquisto, no te arrepentiras!

User Info Menu

Hey, It's me again!

I'm writing because I've found a pretty good deal on a Gibson ES175. Well, I think it's a good price, that's why I'm asking. It's a 2007 Wine Red ES175 and costs 2100 euros.

Is it a good price? I cannot try it out, is it a good deal? It is in Spain, so I would get rid of any unexpected taxes or anything.

Thank you again
    2100€ for a winered 175 is a tad high.
    Some years ago I was looking for a ES165 (in my opinion the best ES175 for the Jazzguitarist) and after three month of patiently waiting I found one very cheap. It is just a matter of patience.
    The prices are rising, because it is getting rare...especially the set Humbucker version.

The 165 is one of the most underated Jazzguitar. Gibson cancelled the set in Humbucker because it rivaled the 175.
    All the jazzguys bought the 165 instead of the 175.
    So they installed the floating Pickup, after that, the ES165 turned into a slow seller.
    If you go for 165, go for set in Humbucker...

I've got a blonde Es-175 essentially unplayed 2006 model.
    Its very light and resonant for a modern one and is actually really nice to play.
    The acoustic tone is damn good and really took me by surprise.

I'm gonna be asking £1,850. Comes with Original case.

No play wear at all.

Send me a Pm if you want. If not, good luck :-)

P.s I never liked the Es-165 and neither has anyone else I know, in person. They sound so dull and heavy IMO but maybe theres a few bad ones floating about.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoergeBenson

P.s I never liked the Es-165 and neither has anyone else I know, in person. They sound so dull and heavy IMO but maybe theres a few bad ones floating about.
    The only difference between the 165 and 175 is that the 165 ha a 490R Pickup and grover Tuners. Contructionwise they are the same Guitars...

User Info Menu

I just picked up a '94 ES 165 and it is fantastic. Great buy.

Yeh I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, purely out of experience and other factors.

For example, not all modern Es-175's are very nice either. So its hard to make a direct comparison. As I stated, myself and my friend (who also owned one) just couldn't get on with them (165). But again, that could just be an example of bad woods etc. Just as you can find the same on the Es-175.

Hi again!

I've been looking for some other guitars to try (found a shop in Madrid with a good variety of archtops), just beacause I don't have enough cash to spend on a guitar for the moment.

So the store I mentioned has amazingly good prices, really much cheaper than the shops near where I live. I tried a new ES175 in store and I liked it, but it didn't sound so good compared to the high price. Then I read about the Heritage 575 and the Custom. The solid maple construction really caught my attention, and it was cheaper than the Gibson. I also liked the H550, also from Heritage Guitars.

Any recommendation? Too many guitars to consider!

Thank you!

User Info Menu

What's wrong with the Les Paul you have now? You can't play jazz on that?

User Info Menu

I love my 575, but it's definitely a different sound than a 175. Brighter and snappier and no "thunk" to the tone, more sustain.

Heritage guitars are generally very well made and for whatever reason, don't hold their value used. Which means you can score a really nice guitar for a very good price.

As for the Les Paul, it's fine for jazz, but I'm assuming you'd like to keep that guitar as it is and run a different setup on your "jazz" guitar?

I'll probably go to Madrid when I have the money to try all the different guitars and finally decide which I like the most. The problem with Heritage is that here in Spain they are pretty rare guitars and I don't like the idea of buying if I can't try the guitar itself and see if it is in nice shape.

Regarding the Les Paul, it does sound good, but defenitely not like an arcthop. I'd like to keep for a blues and rock stuff, with lighter strings, and get a nice archtop to play only jazz with roundwound 11's. I've considered selling it, but it is a hard decission...

User Info Menu

Oh and thanks for replying cmajor9.
    I have an ES-165 with a built-in humbucker and I love it. I also own a few vintage ES-175's (a '59 and a '69) and the ES-165 holds it's own against the vintage ones. It is well made, looks great (flamey woods, gold hardware, etc) has a perfect neck and sounds wonderful. I think this model is very under-rated and is excellent value if you can find one.
    Keith