The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 59

User Info Menu

Looks like a great guitar

All guitars however should be customised like mine....

Yet Another Yunzhi Process-photo-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigMikeinNJ
    Really have been busy, recovering from pneumonia .... now onto more spiritually important things, saving the life of this wonderful old girl, meet my newest family member, Gracie.
    Hi Mike,

Thank you so much ! Glad you're back ! I knew you were either busy or somehow in trouble.
    I had a bad pneumonia three years ago, it enabled me quit smoking but it was scary, wouldn't go away, thought it was the end, so i can a bit relate to yours.

Congratulations on this cutie and new relative of yours !!

You're right, it's just guitars and money after all, ... a lot, but not so much !

Your guess is $4 off ! Unforgivable ! ! $1196 all taxes included, ems shipment, and $100 for choosing the woods included.
    I will follow your advice to heart and i thank you very, very much for your help on the few occasions i asked some Yunzhi related questions.
    Everything was as you said, and i already am over this dot issue.

As a guitarist, i don't really care, it's gorgeous anyway, and as Spiral mentioned with the wabi-sabi thing, imperfections are what make perfect perfection !
    As a buyer, well ... my ignorance in terms of archtops, builds, etc... and the misunderstanding that redoing the dot was a small job made me seem a jackass, whereas i feel indeed grateful.

Tomorrow is Monday, ... expecting some more photos !
    Two hours jet lag with China here, so i won't wake up in the middle of the night to check the mails, if this reminds you of something !
    Last edited by xuoham; 02-23-2014 at 11:28 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi Mike,Welcome back,glad to hear you're better. Guitars are guitars but saving your new member of the family was far more important. She's a beauty! P.S love the twelfth fret marker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    When I look on their websight it seems quite confusing to me. They list the same model numerous times w/ different prices. Also they list a JP880 Eastman style Sunburst w/ floater as a 17" instead of the 16" it appears to be.
    http://yunzhimusic.en.alibaba.com/pr..._for_sale.html

Then it's the same guitar here at a different price
    http://yunzhimusic.en.alibaba.com/pr...zz_Guitar.html
    Same guitar on two pages, same detail photos. That's really strange with two different prices, but I also notice that there are two different contact people involved: Ms. Jennifer Fan and a Mr. Richard Li. I wonder if Mr. Li is possibly selling them as a third-party middleman and adding his own layer of profit? Got me...

User Info Menu

Mr LI is President of Yunzi, he and I have exchanged emails, I believe I shared one with you folks a few months ago.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xuoham
    No, No ! Wait ! ( lol ) It IS for me ! ( lol ) I am not bothered that much, it's just that i don't know what to expect.
    [...]
    Oh you know 侘寂! Yes, definitely, i see what you mean !
    [...]
    Now that i realize this dot matter is commonplace, i feel a bit like an ass for having asked for a small compensation.
    You have a right to ask, and I totally get that you are trying to level set your expectations. It's a fair question. Hopefully you have a sense now that if you can accept some cosmetic flaws here and there, you will get an amazing playing instrument. For others that may look at this thread in the future, it's a good distinction to make: some can't live with the imperfections, and that is OK too but that person will pay significantly more for it and shouldn't be looking at Yunzhi.

Just a quick ? Can you special order a bigger neck, say .90 depth at first fret? Also I noticed that they make an acoustic version of the JP880 Eastman. Can they make an electric say neck inset humbucker like the Eastman as well?
    These are all things you should ask them directly. My sense with the neck is you can ask, and they may try it, but it falls out of their standard workflow so it's a roll of the dice on your dime. What would be interesting to ask is if they offer different neck shapes, and what they are. Please do, as it would be really useful for all of us to know! FWIW the necks on my two guitars are fairly substantial, closest to a fat "modern flat oval" or fat "d" neck.

When I look on their websight it seems quite confusing to me. They list the same model numerous times w/ different prices. Also they list a JP880 Eastman style Sunburst w/ floater as a 17" instead of the 16" it appears to be.
    Ignore the pricing. Through Ms. Lora most all carved archtops will be about $900 as a base price, then add shipping, special inlay, fancy wood, and any other upgrades. You'll see the same guitars on eBay from different sellers at wildly different prices. Just deal with Ms Lora direct and you'll have the factory-direct price. Sometimes if they have guitars are sitting around they will offer them to you for less, or if you want something made and they have a similar stock option.

Let us know what you find out. I'm curious about what they say on the neck and set-in pickup.

User Info Menu

Mr LI is President of Yunzi, he and I have exchanged emails, I believe I shared one with you folks a few months ago.
    Sorry I missed that. President? (IMO, he might want to think about putting his title after his name on these sales pages.)

Still, this doesn't explain the two different prices here for apparently the same guitar. Ya got me.

Hey, I've got no horse in this race, just trying to figure out what's going on... :-)

User Info Menu

Really have been busy, recovering from a 3 wiki ong stint with pneumonia and then my wife and I got involved in rescuing a 10 year old dashchound from a kill shelter in North Carolina, she had already been there 6 weeks and was due to be euthanized . The dog is safely with us now and enjoying a new very active life.

Now onto more spiritually enriching things, saving the life of this wonderful old girl, meet my newest family member, Gracie.

Gorgeous Gracie! I love dachshunds!

http://funzoo.ru/uploads/posts/2009-..._super2007.jpg

User Info Menu

Since you know the cheapest way is to order direct from Ms Lora at the Factory, to you specs, why bother with the other sellers. Really.

Big

User Info Menu

Can they make an electric say neck inset humbucker like the Eastman as well?
    Just found this:

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info fellas! A couple more questions if you don't mind. Spiral when you say Fat D shape can you be more specific like actual measurements at 1st and 12th fret? Or at least is fatter than most of the Eastman necks?
    Also from what I gather these are basically former Eastman luthiers so basically the guitars are constructed using X bracing vs. Parallel bracing, thinner tops,etc? Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Spiral when you say Fat D shape can you be more specific like actual measurements at 1st and 12th fret? Or at least is fatter than most of the Eastman necks?
    Also from what I gather these are basically former Eastman luthiers so basically the guitars are constructed using X bracing vs. Parallel bracing, thinner tops,etc? Thanks again!
    I will measure with calipers but they aren't that much thicker than an Eastman neck, which is a standard thin-ish C, but the shoulders are much bigger so it feels much wider and really fills up your hand.

They are constructed with whatever bracing you want (which is the advantage of customizing).

User Info Menu

Thanks for the quick reply Spiral! The websight is confusing to say the least. How do you contact Ms. Lora?
    Last edited by jads57; 02-23-2014 at 06:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    Just found this:
    Looks good ! Almost a knockoff of my Ibanez AF-105, except the spruce top.

Yet Another Yunzhi Process-photo-007-jpg

User Info Menu

Their email address (and other contact info) is here:
    http://yunzhiguitar.diytrade.com/

I use the gmail address and I believe that goes directly to Ms. Lora.

User Info Menu

"If an object or expression can bring about, within us, a sense of serene melancholy and a spiritual longing, then that object could be said to be wabi-sabi."[2] "[Wabi-sabi] nurtures all that is authentic by acknowledging three simple realities: nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect

User Info Menu

Yunzhiguitar@gmail.com

use the gmail address and state: Attn Ms Lora Yu

easy
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 02-24-2014 at 05:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    Their email address (and other contact info) is here:
    http://yunzhiguitar.diytrade.com/

I use the gmail address and I believe that goes directly to Ms. Lora.

I must the only english speaker that doesn't go through Ms. Lora. My contact is Zoey Gang. You can tell she uses a translator but she has always been easy to work with.

I also sent Mr. Richard Li an email letting him know what I think Yunzhi does well and where they could improve. My number one improvement suggestion was the website. Most US and European buyers just aren't used to specifying a custom guitar and need it to be easier.

Glad you are feeling better Mike. And Gracie is one lucky puppy to be part of your family. Hope she likes music.
    Last edited by Spook410; 02-24-2014 at 05:48 AM.

User Info Menu

I was very impressed that Mr. Richard Li, a principal and manager at Yunzhi, sought input from end guitar players on ways to improve communication and the product.

User Info Menu

If they can't get something as simple and noticeable as side dots correct, what about the rest of the instrument? This would be a deal killer for me. Price of the instrument is immaterial - there is no excuse for shoddy workmanship at any level if they expect to remain in business. You'll never find this kind of crappy work on an American luthier made instrument. But, I guess you get what you pay for. I'm also suspect of the quality of the woods used in these guitars - source, processing, drying, etc. Is the workplace humidity controlled? Type of glues used? I just don't trust the Chicom on any level.

User Info Menu

Yo Skip !!

I was tempted to search for Gibson Citations on eBay the other day after reading a thread here. Funny thing this one example kinda miffed up the dots (based on your standard of them being perfectly centered).

Gibson Citation The "Gibson" L 5 Super 400 Johnny Smith Legrand Archtop | eBay

This one also

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Gibson-...item2598f996a5
    Last edited by BigMikeinNJ; 11-11-2014 at 02:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Yo Skip !!

I was tempted to search for Gibson Citations on eBay the other day after reading a thread here. Funny thing this one example kinda miffed up the dots (based on your standard of them being perfectly centered).

This one also

1996 Gibson Citation Archtop Jazz Guitar 1st Citation produced Natural Maple | eBay
    Still should not have made it out of the factory. Gibson's not known for their quality control anyway. If it's wrong, it's wrong. I would never, ever advance any unknown guitar builder (I will not call them 'luthiers') that kind of money without seeing examples of their work. And for them to refuse to fix the problem is inexcusable - all they have to do is replace the binding on the bass side of the neck and re-install the dots using a simple jig. To me, there's just no excuse for shoddy craftmanship. It will cost them more $$$ in goodwill by treating a customer this way than it would cost them to fix the problem. Of course, no one really cares about goodwill any more - the customer wants top quality for nothing and the builder just wants to get the money and run. I don't think Bob Benedetto ever did business this way. I can't afford his guitars or even the Chicom ripoffs of everybody else's guitars so I have to stick to my homemade Telecasters with Allparts and Warmoth necks, but their side dots are in the right place.

User Info Menu

The dots on my $300 Squier jazzmaster are perfectly aligned.

Just for perspective. Maybe sometimes a little computer controlled machine in the process ain't such a bad thing.

User Info Menu

Yo Skip !!

This one also

1996 Gibson Citation Archtop Jazz Guitar 1st Citation produced Natural Maple | eBay
    Just trying to understand : what's wrong with these dots ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    The dots on my $300 Squier jazzmaster are perfectly aligned.

Just for perspective. Maybe sometimes a little computer controlled machine in the process ain't such a bad thing.
    Jeff, when did you get the Squier? Is it the J Mascis version with the chunkier neck?

Side dots misaligned, surely that's a sign of being hand made or that the CNC operator has a squint!