The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 53

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I used to have that pedal. Sold it and got a Ditto instead. Simpler, easier to use, sounds better and doesn't play 2 seconds of your loop before deleting. Annoying...
    But in general, yeah, loopers make great practice tools indeed!

I don't agree that the ditto sounds better. I'd have to hear clips to prove that.

Yes, the play for 2 seconds is annoying but come on...That versus not having storable clips? NO CONTEST! lol

User Info Menu

Well, I obviously forgot IMHO and YMMV :-)

I vastly prefer the Ditto. I don't need storable clips anyway, so that's no selling point for me.

i'm willing to bet you couldn't hear the diff between the ditto and the jamman.

Storage of clips is huge if used for practicing or gigging.

IMHO & YMMV

User Info Menu

Well, I've had both and actually sold the Digitech after I bought the Ditto. A friend of mine and myself preferred the sound of the Ditto.

But again: any looper is good for practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pukka-J
    Well, I've had both and actually sold the Digitech after I bought the Ditto. A friend of mine and myself preferred the sound of the Ditto.

But again: any looper is good for practicing.
    Oh yeah? 2 friends and I both preferred the sound of the jamman.

User Info Menu

Oh yeah? But my cat also preferred the Ditto! Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Pukka-J
    Oh yeah? But my cat also preferred the Ditto! Ha!
    You must not have a jazz-cat

User Info Menu

I bought this one at a great price. Digitech JMSXT Jamman Solo XT Stereo Looper (Highly Recommended)-rc30-jpg

I let my dog operate the left pedal most days and he's got great time feel.
    Last edited by Ric Lee; 02-06-2014 at 03:20 PM.

User Info Menu

I like the Ditto. Super simple, sounds great to me. There's a newer version that premiered at NAMM, not sure what the price will be, has a few more features. The price of the original Ditto beats anything else out there.

When I think of the setup Robert Fripp used - dual RTR tapes, etc - to achieve the same effect, I am astounded at the simplicity of the Ditto.

Digitech JMSXT Jamman Solo XT Stereo Looper (Highly Recommended)-frippertronic-jpg

For performance it would be nice to be able to save and replay different sections, i.e., chorus and verse, but then you get into more complexity. It's hard to beat only one button.

User Info Menu

I currently have the digitech Jamman, the bigger one with two foot stomp pedals. I love it, it is super easy to use, and I think it sounds great. I don't use it for anything other than practicing, if i was going to put it on a pedalboard I would probably go with something smaller, but for practicing, it is perfect.

I got the smaller one because I practice in different locations and it's easier to move around. Anyone who is serious about practicing would benefit from the ability to save loops and vary the tempos. Yes, the smaller one is cute and simple but it's vastly inferior for functionality.

Already, i have developed 10 or 12 loops I switch between when practicing and it's a tremendous time saver to have them pre-recorded instead of having to re-record them every practice session.

User Info Menu

i have one of the older two pedal versions, too. its neat, but i find i don't play with myself very often, in that way. my biggest complaint is that since i don't have an effects loop, i have to run it at the end of the effects chain (boring, flat sound) or run it with a mic (not always practical). and sometimes its difficult to get the levels right so it isn't adulterating the sound, and the loops come back at a decent volume relative to what you're playing over it.

these days i mostly use it as a sketchpad. if i come up with an idea, i'll throw it on there, either to save or develop or doodle over or whatever. or if i'm stuck on something, i can loop it and try a few things out over it. it does have great value as a practicing/learning tool, but i'm not that kind of player, and it sort of feels like cheating for live solo work to me.

User Info Menu

I used mine for a wedding ceremony. I recorded 3 songs on it and ran it through a volume pedal to control cueing in.
    It came in handy because she wanted me to play Canon in D. So I fingerpicked the chord changes and played along with that and she was very happy.

User Info Menu

I have the Jamman Stereo . You can also import audio -Midi data - ie non guitar backing tracks

User Info Menu

I have a Ditto, and love it. There are far more powerful loopers out there that I have looked at, but as with any incredibly powerful and feature-rich product, be it hardware or software, doing the most basic things takes hours and hours of learning and frustration. The Ditto can be used after reading the manual for 30sec. Heaven for someone like me who likes simple things that do their basic function very well.

I have a Keith McMillan Softstep to work my Midi gear. It is incredibly powerful and deep, but just getting it to change a simple preset on an Eventide pedal must have taken me 5hrs. Brutal.

User Info Menu

C'mon you don't have to be a rocket scientist to operate the Jam man

i read 5 minutes worth and was up and saving multiple clips and changing tempos and using quantisation. If you think the jamman is complicated, how are you going to play over a jazz tune?!?

User Info Menu

To be honest, I haven't tried the Jamman. Worst thing is, I'm a Nuclear Physicist (seriously).

ACK - It's a dirt simple device. 5 minutes and I was up and running, saving clips, erasing clips, overdubbing, changing tempos, copy and pasting. If you can post in a forum you can understand this.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    ACK - It's a dirt simple device. 5 minutes and I was up and running, saving clips, erasing clips, overdubbing, changing tempos, copy and pasting. If you can post in a forum you can understand this.
    I believe you. I'm not singling it out as hard to learn - I've never tried one. I just mentioned how much I prefer the simplicity of the Ditto. If my needs change, I'll be sure to look at the Jamman.

User Info Menu

Hard to beat BIAB as a practice tool for jazz. Quickly input any progression you like, in any key, change the rhythm, tempo, add a Ketron SD2 orchestral Wizard for xlnt piano, bass, and drums, easily turn off the piano for nice comping and soloing tracks.

Output BIAB to midi and tweak it in your favorite DAW for unlimited possibilities.

BIAB is not so good for unusual or complex rhythms and can be a hassle with time changes within the song. In that case, I would rather record a guitar part using Logic rather than a looper for practice. It's much easier for me to edit and reuse the recording for other purposes.

The Jamman Solo seems better suited for spontaneous live performance looping and noodling. The compact pedal would fit easily on a pedal board but it's kind of strange that it does not use a standard 9V power source.

User Info Menu

I think the Jamman does use a standard 9V power source?

Quote Originally Posted by Bosko
    Hard to beat BIAB as a practice tool for jazz. Quickly input any progression you like, in any key, change the rhythm, tempo, add a Ketron SD2 orchestral Wizard for xlnt piano, bass, and drums, easily turn off the piano for nice comping and soloing tracks.

Output BIAB to midi and tweak it in your favorite DAW for unlimited possibilities.

BIAB is not so good for unusual or complex rhythms and can be a hassle with time changes within the song. In that case, I would rather record a guitar part using Logic rather than a looper for practice. It's much easier for me to edit and reuse the recording for other purposes.

The Jamman Solo seems better suited for spontaneous live performance looping and noodling. The compact pedal would fit easily on a pedal board but it's kind of strange that it does not use a standard 9V power source.
    Entering in tunes with complex changes (polychords/slash chords) is dirt simple with a looper, useless in biab. Not to mention any rhythms other than straight swing or bossa nova. When I want to practice, I want to practice. Not interested in exporting BIAB and editing in a DAW for unlimited possibilities. The key is quickly getting something that allows you to make progress. And the jamman solo xt is much faster and much better suited for that than exporting and importing and editing files in your DAW