The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

I really like playing Strat, the neck fits my short fingers just fine. But the chirpy quacky sound isn't what I want to get for jazz. Can you recommend a reasonably priced amp that isn't heavy? I know a Twin Reverb would sound great but I'm not going to lift it.

Solid state would be okay and for context, I play unaccompanied so no need to compete with a drummer or bass at this point. .

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

PS. . .I tried a Roland Cube 30 and didn't like the sterility of the sound.

User Info Menu

Have you tried a Fender Blues Junior? One of my old teachers had one for lessons and it sounded pretty good.

What's your budget?

User Info Menu

Many used Fender BJ's and Peavey Classic 30's. The C30 may be more than you need, and a Twin is way more weight, expense, cost, tube cost, space.

The C30 is economical and has a rich clean tone with plenty of mids if you need it and very versatile tone (and controls), plus reverb. In mine, I put an Eminence Neo speaker to lower the weight, and it still sounds warm. This amp sounds great. And ..... it sounds great with any guitar I put thru it, especially my Strats. I wish I had bought one sooner.

Try one, can't hurt.

User Info Menu

I can only tell you about my experience with both a tele and a strat on my own amps. Both sound great for jazz on my Henriksen 110. For my taste obviously.

User Info Menu

A blues junior and a strat is one of the least jazzy setups I can imagine.

User Info Menu

I played a few gigs with my strat (stock pickups, 11 gauge strings, wound G) and my polytone mega brute. Sounded great to me.

I haven't played any jazz gigs in a while - I was playing with an archtop for a few years but I think if I were to play a jazz gig again I would play with my strat and polytone. I learned how to play lines on my strat and just got comfortable with articulation/dynamics etc on it.

User Info Menu

Another vote for the Peavey classic 30. As mentioned it's versatile, great clean tone. Upgrading the speaker is really worth it. I use an Eminence Greenback. I use it with strats, archtops, tele, Les Paul and dig it.

User Info Menu

A second on the Henriksen, only I would go with the 112 for a little better bottom end. I use this amp with a 17" archtop, a semi-hollow, a chambered guitar without F-holes, and a Strat, and it works very well in all cases. It also takes pedals well if that is needed.

Ever consider changing the pup? Seymour Duncan offers single coil sized humbuckers.
    That should fatten up your tone.

User Info Menu

Just for fun, I tried my hardtail strat into the Polytone Mini Brute III. Without too much tweaking, I got a decent Jazz sound out of the neck PU. 15 inch speaker and pretty warm+wooly. Worth trying if you can test drive before buying. Pretty easy to find in the $200-300 range. Look for a basic model w/o distortion or reverb circuitry.

User Info Menu

I've played jazz on my strat through a Polytone and a DRRI and gotten good jazz tones through both - obviously different versions of a jazz tone.

User Info Menu

Henriksen Jazzamp. It's the only amp left for me. Everything I've ever plugged into it sounds jazzy.

User Info Menu

I've played jazz on a strat on through many different amps. I've currently got a Princeton Reverb, which works great for me, as does pretty much any Fender. Around the house, I use a Roland MicrCube, usually on the Vox setting (the blackface model sounds pretty bad, IMO). Peavey Classic 30 is good. Some of the other Roland Cubes work. I was never able to get an acceptable sound out of a Roland JC120 and a Strat (or any other guitar for that matter).

John

User Info Menu

Some interesting possibilities here but many of them are above my price range, and some I don't like that much. But still some choices to consider when I go to GC to try out the amps. The Pro Jr has a perfect weight as does the Vox AD30VT but no one mentioned those and I'm pretty sure the PJr wouldn't sound good as a jazz amp.

Don't like Rolands and don't like heavy amps and can't afford expensive amps. Tried a Blues Jr and it wasn't the sound I wanted. Thanks for your responses, maybe a few more will come in and spark my imagination.

User Info Menu

quilter or gries 35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teleboli
    Henriksen Jazzamp. It's the only amp left for me. Everything I've ever plugged into it sounds jazzy.
    What he said!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lareplus
    Some interesting possibilities here but many of them are above my price range, and some I don't like that much. But still some choices to consider when I go to GC to try out the amps. The Pro Jr has a perfect weight as does the Vox AD30VT but no one mentioned those and I'm pretty sure the PJr wouldn't sound good as a jazz amp.

Don't like Rolands and don't like heavy amps and can't afford expensive amps. Tried a Blues Jr and it wasn't the sound I wanted. Thanks for your responses, maybe a few more will come in and spark my imagination.

I have a strat and play it occasionally for jazz too. Before the amp, like others said, I would first change to heavier strings and block the tremolo. Afterwards, you may like the convenience of a Fender Super Champ X2 head coupled to a light closed back cab (it has its own dedicated closed back cab too). I heard good things about VHT amps here too but never tried them. Both should be in stock at GC.

User Info Menu

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    +1 to checking out VHT special 6. I have an ultra that is very nice. $250-ish new and lots of deals on used. Comes in 1x12 or head version.

User Info Menu

I love the Pro Jr for jazz if it only had more clean headroom. I have one in mint condition that I am selling because it starts to break up by a volume of 4 to 5. If I could figure out how to keep it clean to at least 7 it would be my perfect jazz amp. If you Mic your amp then it might work for you. If interested in a used Pro Jr go to the Worcester, MA craigslist where you can see pics of the one I am selling. Best of luck with your search.

User Info Menu

Well, I have a buddy who just got a Pro Jr, which I heard today and it doesn't sound like what I'm thinking of for jazz but I concede that with a different speaker and maybe different tubes it might sound fuller and deeper. I don't know what combination might achieve that though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    A blues junior and a strat is one of the least jazzy setups I can imagine.
    You might be surprised. If you keep the gain low, bass up, treble down, neck+middle pickup with the tones rolled pretty dark, you can get a good jazz tone while still maintaining an identifiable strat character. You might get a little grit if you dig in, but I think it works.

User Info Menu

Hi, I'm a new member (first post!) and a complete newbie to jazz. So you can pretty much ignore everything I say.

But if it's any help, like you I have a strat. The pickups are EMGs. The strings are D'Addario Chrome 10s. The bridge is floating. I play it through a Princeton Chorus and with the right settings it sounds like jazz to me.

The Princeton Chorus is a very clean solid state with a lovely chorus.

User Info Menu

Cool...how much does a Princeton Chorus weigh? I have heard of them but I don't think they make them any more.

User Info Menu

Cool...how much does a Princeton Chorus weigh? I have heard of them but I don't think they make them any more.
    I can carry it with one hand. I'm no good at judging weights, but the manual says this:

Weight: 38 lbs. (17.2 kg)

Height: 17-1/2” (44 cm)
    Width: 22-3/8” (57 cm)
    Depth: 10-3/16” (26 cm)

It's a 2x10. 51 Watts RMS. There's a larger 2x12 Ultra Chorus if you want more power, but they're harder to find.

Yes, it's long out of production, but I see them come up on ebay and gumtree often enough that with a little patience you could find one. That means you might not get to try before you buy, and I can't say for sure that you'd like the sound, but the going rate seems to be about $250, so it's not necessarily a big risk.