The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50
    No xlr... this means I would need at least reverb and a passive di. Not an easy equation

Anyway keep all the input coming, I really appreciate it!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I wish line 6 or fractal or 11r would release something in the line of the G3. The concept is brilliant! Or TC could release a Nova System with some amp cab speaker modelation...

Studio devil is actually releasing a product like that but it will be expensive...
    I just googled the new studiodevil amplifire pedal - seems like they've just filled an obvious hole in the market. There were rumours on TGP about fractal releasing something similar, but I don't know if they had any basis in reality.

Yeah maybe I should wait a little?

So today a got a G3 used with a gig bag for 100€, exactly what I was looking for

I did some small testings and I have to say I really like it. As a backup pedalboard it can do everything my board does - manage the gain going to the amp, parametric eq, tuner, dark modulated delay and small reverb. The effects all nice although I can hear a small digital artificial thing in my sound. But for 100€ it's killer... I still have to try the ODs.

I borrowed a PA colum from a friend and also got satisfying results with a Twin Reverb module. Just use a parametric eq to kill the excessive bass and add some mids and it's good to go. The treble is a little artificial but just to go trough PAs on small gigs I don't need better than this.

Another good point - I managed to do all this in a hour, it's a pretty basic thing to use.

Let's see how the next days evolve...

Also, the tuner is acceptable and the 440hz is adjustable (not as common as one would think). For me just the tuner, parametric eq, delay and reverb makes this a killer product for the size / price.

User Info Menu

So today a got a G3 used with a gig bag for 100€, exactly what I was looking for

I did some small testings and I have to say I really like it. As a backup pedalboard it can do everything my board does - manage the gain going to the amp, parametric eq, tuner, dark modulated delay and small reverb. The effects all nice although I can hear a small digital artificial thing in my sound. But for 100€ it's killer... I still have to try the ODs.

I borrowed a PA colum from a friend and also got satisfying results with a Twin Reverb module. Just use a parametric eq to kill the excessive bass and add some mids and it's good to go. The treble is a little artificial but just to go trough PAs on small gigs I don't need better than this.

Another good point - I managed to do all this in a hour, it's a pretty basic thing to use.

Let's see how the next days evolve...
    I still haven't put much time into using it, but I got my rebuilt Twin back, so plan on setting up just some effects chains on the thing to run through the Twin. Glad you find it worthwhile, I think it's a bargain, and I can't even claim to use most of what it has to offer, yet!

Thanks yedbox!

I just did some more tests - I am using 1) Governor OD, sounds usable 2) the Twin Reverb emulation with the Matchless 2x12 cab... the best sound I got after severeal preamps / cabs testing. 3) Z Clean with very low gain and maximum level 3) parametric eq to boost 400hz, cut 800hz and level 150 5) tape delay with dark repeats and level 150 6) room reverb with level 150.

Using all the effects to boost level (from 100 to 150) it's a great way to have more volume but not more gain.

Sounded also quite good with my classical and my steel acoustic (the acoustic using a preamp firt because it's a piezo only guitar and going direct to the G3 yelded poor results, as expected).

As a pedalboard is also amazing... I am having some reharsals / big gigs soon and it's great to have such a small box with good effects and parametric eq to voice the amps.

Did some recording with Audacity, great too... no latency I could hear. With headphones it's the best I've heard!

Two minor inconveniences - I can't take delays to oscillation with the expression pedal (only really long feedbacks) and can't find a delay that was controlable modulation and tone control.

User Info Menu

Cool, jorge, will give those settings a try. I agree about the 2x12 cab. Have you tried playing around with the Seq Filter? great fun.

Not yet... I am out of space for more effects

User Info Menu

The Early Reflection reverb is useful to make headphone sounds more natural on the G3. Stick one directly after the amp model to simulate a more lively cab.

Thanks Krueger, will try it!

Small clip. Another excellent functionality, it's USB powered.

User Info Menu

I have a older zoom G7 which I use exclusively as a USB interface for practicing. It sounds great through headphones, I have different patches tailored to my different guitars, so I get to my preferred sound quickly.

I gigged
    with it a bit, but never got quite the control I wanted, since adjusting a multi-Fx to the room/band is more awkward than adjusting
    individual pedals (for me, anyway).

User Info Menu

sounds very nice Jorge!

Thanks Frank. It ended not very loud... I will record a louder one soon, probably Chris Cheek's arrangement of "I wish I knew"

User Info Menu

Great playing and sound!

The USB power, as you say, is a winning feature. Reduces the cable-madness somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by krueger
    Great playing and sound!

The USB power, as you say, is a winning feature. Reduces the cable-madness somewhat.
    Thanks krueger.

One thing that happens a lot in product design is the product is excellent from an engineer perspective but terrible to use by the consumer. The G3 seems to be completely client oriented... Lots of useful features and very easy to use!

New clip. For those not familiar with Chris Cheek's "I Wish I Knew", it's a wonderful record.

PS - Had a Line6 HD500 on loan from a student and found it much more confusing and hard to set than the Zoom. Maybe because of that but I did not like the sounds I was getting at all... and the XLR outs are mic level which means for one to have decent volume on a PA you need to push volume a lot and have a lot of hiss. Glad I chose the Zoom because it was cheaper and smaller

User Info Menu

Just thought I'd share a few observations on this particular multieffect unit..

1) The gain control on the amp models does not function like a real gain control. If you set gain to "0" there will still be a signal. This means some amp models will not get clean, as if the gain is limited to a particular range (Reducing the guitar volume can sometimes help). I find this odd, my Boss JS8 has GT10 amp modeling and the gain control works as it would in a real amp providing far more control.

2)I have noticed that changing the speaker cabs for a particular amp model, even a clean one, can cause it to sometimes have crunch. Another odd behavior.

3) Reducing the tube control (~15) can help clean up the signal. the default is 30.

I still like the unit but I do feel it is more geared towards the high gain user.

Check attachment for presets. JAS
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by teleosus; 04-22-2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Consolidation with attachment

One more small update:

First gig trough a PA - worked like a charm. Not an amazing sound but a perfectly fine one and clean headroom for days... no problem with that, which was my main concern. Unfortunately it was with a P90 guitar. can't wait to do the same with a PAF guitar to see how close I can get to my usual sound. It was a relief going to the gig with a guitar on the back and a small gig bag on my hands only... Also already done gone a few gigs with the G3 as a pedalboard and again it was perfectly fine. For 100€ I could not be happier!

Jorge, It really sounds good. And I can imagine that most of the time the audience are unable to hear differences between this rig, or your prefered amp and pedal board.

Thanks Hans! I agree with that but I do notice the difference and that must pass to the audience somehow... but for some gigs it's just not worth it. I still think my Mambo / EV with my small pedalboard setup is unbeatable but the G3 and the WT80 / G3 setups are just incredible value for the money and excellent for small gigs. I am happy

If someone cares, I have some new clips using it as pedalboard with a Roland Cube (using the parametric eq to boost 400hz saves the day with these amps).

https://soundcloud.com/jorgegoncalve...p-is-the-ocean

https://soundcloud.com/jorgegoncalves/darn-that-dream

https://soundcloud.com/jorgegoncalves/my-ideal

User Info Menu

Very nice tone and great playing, Jorge! I need to sit down and mess with it again, have been too busy with other demands. Do you think you could emulate that upper mid tone that Bernstein gets, or is the EQ too limited? Do you still like your Barb EQ?

Thanks yedbox!

I am here using at a pedalboard. To emulte Bernstein's tone going with the Twin Reverb emulation trough a PA would be the best but I always use delay and a big mid boost so I end up far away from his tonal region. Also my pick / picking are too different from his!

I don't have the Barb EQ, sold the whole setup to a student to fund a guitar. Still, it's an amazing pedal and in blackface mode with the mids on zero could get really close to Bernstein's sound.