The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Well, here's the thing; I got this les Paul copy , chunky maple set neck, three piece back (one center block, like if it was a neck through) basswood body, two piece maple top. The fretwork is surprisingly good, no sharp edgess, stays in tune well, unplugged is pretty loud, plugged is kinda dark sounding. So I was going to sell it, actually it's still on the ads, when the other day a neighbor who is also a guitarist, heared me playing and stopped by. It was quite fun to watch his jaw hit the floor when he touched the neck, not stopping to comment on how well it fits the hand and how much was it comfortable to play. And it very easy to play. I wanted to sell it because of the freaking basswood. It's so soft and dings very easily. So what do you guys think-should I invest in new hardware (alnico pickups, brass bridge, aluminum tailpiece are the first thing that comes to mind after reading about all the woodoo magic mojo on the internet)? Thanks and Merry Christmas and a Happy new year !

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, Happy New Year to you too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aleksandar
    So I was going to sell it, actually it's still on the ads, when the other day a neighbor who is also a guitarist, heared me playing and stopped by. It was quite fun to watch his jaw hit the floor when he touched the neck, not stopping to comment on how well it fits the hand and how much was it comfortable to play. And it very easy to play. I wanted to sell it because of the freaking basswood. It's so soft and dings very easily. So what do you guys think-should I invest in new hardware (alnico pickups, brass bridge, aluminum tailpiece are the first thing that comes to mind after reading about all the woodoo magic mojo on the internet)? Thanks and Merry Christmas and a Happy new year !
    Sell it to that neighbor who likes it!

User Info Menu

Inexpensive and expensive guitars alike get upgraded all the time. Is it worth it? Depends on why they own it.

Many simply can't afford something that is "better", and get a sound they want for an incremental upgrade, others chase some elusive tone on a guitar that they spent a lot of money on to start with.

The former approach is IMO worth it for playing satisfaction the latter may not ever be worth it. For resale again IMO neither adds to the value of the guitar unless the next owner wants the specific upgrades you installed.

If coin is tight, start with what affects your sound... one or two pups, and leave it alone for a bit. Have a plan to take the pups out for the next guitar project you may have later on :-)

User Info Menu

Ladies and gents, I'll introduce you to Gertrude. A 1995, MIK in the Samick factory, Tamaki-branded, all-maple L-5CES copy.

Our love affaire started as a "red-haired-step-child" instrument nobody wanted, found in unplayable condition.

I offered € 150,00 for her, and with me she came.

The picture was taken right after completed a re-make, with new machine-heads, a TOM bridge, a new harness with 500K CTS pots, Switchcraft toggle and jack, .022 Mojo Vitamin T caps, wired with vintage braided wire '50 style, a nickel-covered, A2 modded Seymour Duncan Jazz p'up set, and a thorough setup using D'Addario 11-50 Flatwounds. That was three-years ago, BTW.

Ever since then, she've appaired in several studio sessions, being her tone preferred over several other big-name brand counterparts.

So, I'd say it was worth every single penny spent on her... but, hey! As always, YMMV.

HTH,
    Last edited by LtKojak; 01-01-2014 at 10:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Depends totally on the instrument. Pepe's Samick built guitar looks like exactly the kind of guitar I'd go all out on. If the feel and sound is compelling even in stock form - and you're not concerned with resale - upgrades make a lot of sense. You're giving those upgrades away if you do have to sell later. In the meantime, you've got a guitar you really like, set up the way you want, on the cheaps.
    MD

User Info Menu

"Ladies and gents, I'll introduce you to Gertrude. A 1995, MIK in the Samick factory, Tamaki-branded, all-maple L-5CES copy."

I had a similar situation with a MIK Harmony. The pups were the worst I EVER heard. A Schaller in the bridge and old Di Marzio in the neck, a stereo jack and a switchcraft switch made her out 335 a real 335 :-)

Investing in a cheap guitar - is it worth it?-526336_543461369008684_1910648045_n-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Investing in a cheap guitar - is it worth it?-526336_543461369008684_1910648045_n-jpg
    This is my MIK, Tamaki-branded like Gertrude, #2 335 copy, used as a backup:

Mine hosts an UOA5 modded Duncan Antiquity set, plus the usual CTS, Switchcraft, and '50s wired harness appointments.

Look familiar, GNAPPI?

User Info Menu

Sure, go ahead and upgrade. The only problem is that you're describing this as "investing" in the upgrades. IMO, that word should legitimately only be used when you expect to sell something in the future, AND you expect to sell it for more than you put into it. Otherwise it's just called "spending", not "investing". But, as long as you can afford it, it's perfectly fine to spend on the upgrades.

User Info Menu

As they say, life is short, pickups are cheap.

You can fix electronics but not an uncomfortable neck. Basswood is a good tone wood, not as hard as other woods, but lighter (I think), which is a blessing in this case.

Re pickups - I have a pair of Epiphone HB's that are not too shabby, took them out of an Epi Joe Pass, I would give you for a very reasonable price. PM me if you're interested.

JMO I do not see the benefit in replacing bridges, nuts, etc. right from the getgo. The effect of the electronics is much more than the solid parts. New pickups is a cheap fix, then go from there.

User Info Menu

"Cheap guitars - Worth it?"

This one was...

User Info Menu

If you are serious about this musical art form buy yourself a serious instrument...I did!...L..Investing in a cheap guitar - is it worth it?-a1097_full_lg-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by larry graves
    If you are serious about this musical art form buy yourself a serious instrument...I did!...L..Investing in a cheap guitar - is it worth it?-a1097_full_lg-jpg
    "Serious?" It has dots on the fret board to show you where you are while playing. Seems like a beginners instrument to me...

User Info Menu

Well it would wouldn't it! to a dick head.....L..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LtKojak
    ... Gertrude. A 1995, MIK in the Samick factory, Tamaki-branded, all-maple L-5CES copy….
    ...€ 150,00….worth every single penny spent on her...
    I love taking guitars like this and making them really sing.

But I also think it's important to acknowledge the cost for:
    - new machine-heads
    - TOM bridge
    - new harness with 500K CTS pots
    - Switchcraft toggle and jack
    - .022 Mojo Vitamin T caps
    - vintage braided wire '50 style
    - nickel-covered, A2 modded Seymour Duncan Jazz p'up set

not even counting the cost (time) of doing the work.

I do like to keep track, and compare that to what is available at that updated cost.
    In my own case, the fun of doing the work and the sense of accomplishment I get when I've completed a makeover like this is what makes it really worthwhile.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I love taking guitars like this and making them really sing.

But I also think it's important to acknowledge the cost for:
    - new machine-heads
    - TOM bridge
    - new harness with 500K CTS pots
    - Switchcraft toggle and jack
    - .022 Mojo Vitamin T caps
    - vintage braided wire '50 style
    - nickel-covered, A2 modded Seymour Duncan Jazz p'up set
    I agree completely.

The best reason to upgrade if buckaziods are tight is you can do it yourself incrementally... but it should be done on a guitar that plays well under the hands.

Important stuff that gets better sound faster, up front... eye candy and other wants as coin is available. My Harmony was $200 with HSC, the Schaller was $50, DiMarzio was free in a trade, toggle, jack are always in my "hell box" and the labor (not including some beer $$) is free. Needing a guitar tech adds some cost to some and may make the incremental approach impossible to justify.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    As they say, life is short, pickups are cheap.

You can fix electronics but not an uncomfortable neck. Basswood is a good tone wood, not as hard as other woods, but lighter (I think), which is a blessing in this case.

Re pickups - I have a pair of Epiphone HB's that are not too shabby, took them out of an Epi Joe Pass, I would give you for a very reasonable price. PM me if you're interested.

JMO I do not see the benefit in replacing bridges, nuts, etc. right from the getgo. The effect of the electronics is much more than the solid parts. New pickups is a cheap fix, then go from there.
    Thanks for your offer, but until they get in my part of the globe, along with shipping and customs it will cost me almost like buying a set of Dimarzio's or Seymors. I haven't pulled out the pickups yet, but I think they are not potted. If so, I might try just replacing the magnet bar with the alnico 2 bars from Stewmac. As for the bridge, well, I've heard good stuff about the brass saddles, to say the least, so I might try that too.

User Info Menu

I'm actually a fan of cheaper guitars that you have to "fight" a little bit. I've had really high-end guitars that were smooth as silk and played like butter, but I play my cheap Kingpin and Eastman 403 more than anything else. My expensive gypsy guitar doesn't count cause you gotta fight those SOB's no matter what you do