The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 77

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PTChristopher2
    Does it not seem that the Bruno and the SS-15 were rather close in spec. for the same product line? (A little depth and nut width variation.) Glad to see they kept the 1 3/4 nut SS-15.

Chris
    i thought the bruno was a lam top?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have tried them both and may have missed a detail, but remember them both as laminated maple tops.

(Go Packers, gotta put gloves on just to watch the 5 deg. F game.)

EDIT: The Bruno was much deeper, but I found any difference, attributable to this, to be minor when amped.
    Last edited by PTChristopher2; 01-05-2014 at 05:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yebdox
    I like this tone. How close is this to your favorite 175, Jack?

Incredible playing here Jack and great tone. I totally can relate to the issue if sympathetic vibrations. I've had that issue on a few guitars and it's enough to drive someone mad.

User Info Menu

agreed, having said that, tom really had something. I'm not sure he's still making guitars though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    here are a few clips. None of them sound like a 175. You can hear in the first clip that it really doesn't have a true archtop sound. You can get some pretty and mellow jazz guitar sounds out of it as witnessed in the 2nd and 3rd clips but it was designed to be played in a loud environment and as such, doesn't have the liveness of a true archtop.

Well I guess that's my problem. See, I think the first clip sounds like a 175. Anyways Jack, you have a lot more experience than me so you'd know better especially since you've owned both. Anyways, besides whether or not they sound like a 175 or not, I really dig the tone of both the JB and the JHs.

User Info Menu

I like this tone. How close is this to your favorite 175, Jack?

Sorry for the not on topic post but I too love this video Jack... I watched this and the BarbQ / Henriksen ones quite a few times. Oh and you're using an alnico speaker for jazz here

User Info Menu

That's what I like about this forum… so much friendlier and supportive than TGP. Jack's a talented guy with opinions based on experience. I may not always agree with him, but I always take his opinion seriously.

Stay away from TGP, Jack, you're much better appreciated here!

Jorge, too, for that matter. Serious players who have put the time into forming an opinion.

User Info Menu

i agree that TGP is a waste of time but there's a lot of misinformation propagated here as well. For example, students advising other students on what to do to be great. Things like studying BIAB's auto generated solos or their master guitar series. And like TGP, you have student level players arguing with folks who have been out there playing jazz for 30 years.

User Info Menu

I agree, but at least it's a friendlier atmosphere. Misinformation and ego manifest everywhere in the world. Wouldn't be much of a forum if everyone agreed or played at the same level, I suppose.

One of the hardest tasks in life is to judge your own competency. A study was performed on just that a few years back, with the study population asked to rate their own competency on several problem solving tests. The higher the competency, the lower the confidence level ("I think I could have done better") while just the opposite was true for the poorest performers ("I really nailed that!") I had to laugh when I read it.

User Info Menu

I rather find that most who are "great" at anything are very able to learn from challenges from a relative beginner, or "beginner mind" as they say.

A TGP dumb-a-thon is one thing, but a good discussion from a variety of viewpoints and experience is a fine thing here.

I hope that smirking smug self-described greatness, expertise, or simple longevity does not trump open discussion and new views.

So to speak.

Chris

User Info Menu

>>> The higher the competency, the lower the confidence level ("I think I could have done better")

Absolutely. Many thanks for this.

Chris

User Info Menu

i don't think it's any different frankly. The only reason it seems different is that the total number of members is a fraction of what TGP's is. When TGP was smaller it was much less of a problem but after harmony-central folded a while back, TGP absorbed many of the hardcore members from HC and now it's a total zoo.

The common theme among all the message board and usenet forums is that guys who barely play will argue and disagree with veteran players regarding how to best learn the instrument. This just boggles the mind but it's true of all the forums whether they are golf, photography or music. It's just human nature. People establish themselves as a the forum sage and use their position unwisely. I think this is some sort of innate, tribal behavior.

User Info Menu

I hope that smirking smug self-described greatness, expertise, or simple longevity does not trump open discussion and new views.
    Hopefully not I appreciate the times I've witnessed more mature and empathetic voices on this forum steer the discussion back in a positive direction. Politely agreeing to disagree is always a good thing. Slamming, name calling, self aggrandizement don't further one's cause, AND that lesson will still be missed by some. We can always recite the number of great artists who have (or had) practically no ego and were open to talking about their craft with any who would listen or ask.

Overall, I think we do pretty well here. On TGP, I would rarely post any opinion, particularly one that questioned a favored player/technique/piece of gear, for fear of retribution. Jack certainly had his time as a target (though he's never afraid to state the obvious, which might have provoked a few flame wars

Oh, well, carry on and thanks for the civility, all.

User Info Menu

I've quit posting on TGP. It got to be tedious with all the bickering. Much more civil here with a more mature, knowledgeable group. Some subjects are just subjective (this guitar is better than that one) but can still be discussed in a civil manner.

User Info Menu

who was that "smug, self described greatness" comment aimed toward? haha, you see. This ain't much different than TGP afterall. Just a lower volume of subscribers. that's exactly the type of snide comment you see on TGP all the time...

And one of the reasons I stayed off all forums for a couple years.

It's just human nature. (unfortunately)

User Info Menu

i don't think it's any different frankly.
    Jack, you might be right about that and the current size probably is to our advantage. But, it's nice to hallucinate that maybe folks interested in jazz are just a tad more self aware and polite. Someone will always prove me wrong, but for now, this is a good place to be. If it ever gets half as bad as TGP, I will find other ways to connect and share with players.

Maybe it's also human nature to want to belong to a group that is perceived as a bit more noble than everyone else: service industries, firemen and health care workers, teachers, animal shelter volunteers, Peace Corps, etc. That desire has nothing to do with my love of jazz, but it is an hallucination that functions as a minor benefit, in my off moments.

Jack, if TAG shows up, just turn the other cheek!

User Info Menu

tag was on here for a while, lol. But we've chased off many of the good players because we value conforming over all else. For example, Henry Johnson and Richard Bornman no longer post on any of the groups because they were banned or ostracized. Regardless of whether they were victims of self-described greatness (WTF IS THAT ANYWAY?!?) they were great players who - because of their jazz experiences - were very opinionated about how to learn to play jazz. But they were pushed out because the herd valued conformance over experience and playing ability.

The way I feel is that groups like this should go out of their way to cultivate great players instead of ostracizing them. But instead, it's too easy for mediocre players to herd together and complain about them so that they're forced to leave.

I'm bitter about this because I've seen it happen to a half dozen great players in the various groups and it's happened to me too. Guys struggling to play over Satin Doll and posting about learning to solo by studying BIAB transcriptions aren't espousing "fresh" approaches to learning to play that instrument. And when I read stuff like that I will call it out until i get tired of the negative and smirky comments in which case I'll leave again.

User Info Menu

Maybe this off topic is my fault but anyway... if one comes here it's for learning things one doesn't know. This is a gear forum and there are plenty of people here that might not be excellent players but have great input when it comes to gear - I have benefited many times from all that knowledge I would have not be able to get it any other way. If I felt I had nothing to learn then I would just stay out - as I do on the non-gear part.

Sometimes one does reads things that can be a little disturbing... just like in real life it's a sign of maturity knowing when not to entertain pointless arguments. Arrogance and stupidity like to hold hands - I have learned to ignore that.

User Info Menu

>>> who was that "smug, self described greatness" comment aimed toward?

Definitely aimed toward any stand based on the classic logical fallacy of appeal to authority, experience, greatness, or any other dubious superiority.

One would always do well to avoid any such fallacy in discussion. We all accidentally (and we hope not, habitually) will occasionally step in the line of what I described above.

On another fallacy, Bertrand Russell on "human nature" is worth a fun and quick read. In my opinion.

It is quite fundamentally different here in my experience. I happen to not agree that it is simply a matter of scale.

I have had far to many experiences of a relatively new player picking up on something that those who find themselves to be experts have missed.

Chris

User Info Menu

I have had far to many experiences of a relatively new player picking up on something that those who find themselves to be experts have missed.

Chris
    we'll have to agree to disagree. The point of studying with someone experienced is that they've made the transition from beginner to advanced . Studying with a student who can't play satin doll is studying someone's mistakes. Studying with someone who's advanced allows you to learn in the most efficient way possible.

I think that's pretty much common sense but I think in all these chat-forums, the herd mentality overrides all common sense.

User Info Menu

Arrogance and stupidity like to hold hands
    Great quote, Jorge!

Jack, I appreciate your point of view. Maybe the medium is the limitation. With anonymity and in an exchange of ideas devoid of the actual application (i.e., playing, with the exception of posting clips, as you so ably have) people may falsely assume an equality of experience and ability to someone else who has really applied themselves.

There probably is no perfect solution. I appreciate that you call people out when you feel they are not contributing to purpose of the forum (ostensibly, to share knowledge about gear and ways to improve on one's playing and appreciation of this art form.) And, I appreciate Jorge's wisdom, as well, to know when to leave a discussion and topic alone, when it's going nowhere, and the controversial voice is not responding to reason.

Sorry to hear that about those pros… I'm not familiar with Richard Bornman, but had a couple of lessons with Henry… great player, happy to share lots of good info and ideas, can't imagine why he would be banned. Just no easy solutions to managing human ego, but clearly, not many feel appreciated in life and that comes out in a bad way, sometimes. Still, this forum has value and I thank those who thoughtfully contribute.

User Info Menu

I rather find that most who are "great" at anything are very able to learn from challenges from a relative beginner, or "beginner mind" as they say.

A TGP dumb-a-thon is one thing, but a good discussion from a variety of viewpoints and experience is a fine thing here.

So to speak.

Chris
    Couldn't agree more. One of the good things here has been that clearly experienced members/ competent players say what they think without expecting some kind of deference from others to give their opinions extra weight or 'oracle' status. This isn't a masterclass, it's a gear forum.

let's hope it stays like that
    Last edited by Franz 1997; 01-06-2014 at 07:52 AM. Reason: clarity

User Info Menu

On the Sadwosky Jim Hall - I bought mine when the dollar was low to € & £, the price was similar to 1970s 175s - but I could not find one that didn't look like it had been driven over by a truck. The new ones (175s) I tried felt clunky and had a really lifeless tone - so I went with the JH. I love it.

User Info Menu

…[ ]...After that, all I'd need is one of those rare "Wes Pauls".

Attachment 10028
    Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    where is that picture from? I don't think gibson ever made something with a hollowbody and a top that thick. I saw a Jon Hill hollowbody with a top that thick though. Sounded awful, lol.
    My understanding is that Gibson built these "Wes Pauls" for the 1998 NAMM Show.
    One has been for sale for quite awhile at a "Les-than-discounted-Paul" price.
    Here:
    http://www.maverick-music.com/gibson...ustom-les-paul
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-19-2014 at 01:23 PM.

User Info Menu

A very notable pro who was turned off this forum was Tony DeCaprio, which was a huge loss. One of the best players on the planet and a great educator to boot, but some vocal forumites chewed him up, backed up by their years of living room playing experience...