The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Posts 176 to 180 of 180

User Info Menu

Late to the thread, and it may have already been said...but a 22 fret guitar, with pickup slightly closer to the bridge, gets a tighter sound, with more cut and thickness. Many modern players use these. An ES 175 also gets close to that thicker, more cutting sound.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boneyt
    Never thought of using the bright setting on my Polytone. I have an 80s Minibrute and I tried your settings and it's great – totally changes the midrange of the amp, my Line 6 M9 Tape Delay and occasionally a RAT and you've nailed that tone stone cold. Thanks for the suggestion. Tony.
    Glad to hear that you found what you were looking for.
    It's a great tone and in my opinion, the polytone really shines when the bright switch is on and the mids/highs are cranked up.
    it's a really modern and tight sound and it cuts through a whole band without effort.

User Info Menu

Many cheap pedals out there will do the trick. If you were able to get a Strymon El Capistan it is a delay that has reverb as a secondary function. So if you looking for a all in one set and forget it's great. Lage and Moreno use the El Capistan. Another modern guy with a really wet sound is Gilad Hekselman.

User Info Menu

Jason,

Nice tone. +1

I use the "Brite" switch setting on my Polytone about half of the time. I just get tired of the "playing through a pillow" sound sometimes. Treble at 12 o'clock, Bass at 10 o'clock, switch on brite, Reverb at 9 o'clock (to keep it from sounding either too dry or boinky) and I'm good to go.

_Occasionally,_ a delay pedal (MXR Carbon Copy)--but only once in a blue moon.

Except for Pat Martino, I never found that most jazz guys played all that darkly. Live, Wes Montgomery was pretty bright sounding, to me.

Anyway, I like to hear guitar when I'm playing guitar. If I want something more muffled, I go over to the B3 and play that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Jason,

Nice tone. +1

Live, Wes Montgomery was pretty bright sounding, to me.
    Thanks man! I had forgotten about that.

I always had the impression that Wes kept the tone knob on his L5 at 10 and the "warmth" he got from the guitar was more from that incredible thumb.