The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Posts 101 to 125 of 300

User Info Menu

My honest recollection is that, years ago, there were some string length issues with TIs that made them too short for frequensator epiphones, but they are longer now. A year or so ago I had a vintage epi, and the JS 112s were fine for those. I have never had other problems with string lengths, and other than the frequensator issue, have never heard of issues with TI string lengths.

The cloth rap on the low E string on the AC111s is a bit too long, and needed to be trimmed back to avoid going over the nut.

Re luthier issues, as noted before, I did have the guitar refretted, and of course he dialed in the playability. The neck is straight. My only issue is that the bridge had to be screwed all the way down to get there (something I knew before purchase BTW), and trimming that bridge piece seems like an easy way to add some adjustment to it.

I probably should have gushed a bit more about the sound, but I try to be a bit conservative about that sort of thing. Sound is so much influenced by the strings (trying out a set I was not familiar with here), the room, your mood, etc. I have a strong prejudiced, based on owning a lot of guitars for a lot of years, that pre war > postwar, 17" > 16", noncut > cutaway, and this purchase has confirmed those prejudices in spades.

Thanks, hammertone, for adding the photos and notes. It was a real pleasure doing business with you. It is kind of materialistic to start a brag thread about my new guitar, but I think it does a service, since threads with details about old guitars will be available for research by folks making similar purchase decisions.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I know a guy who has a 1947 L7 that I could buy from him. It needs a good cleaning, but it is all original (except for the case) and in very good condition with no cracks or repairs. It has some normal wear (nothing serious) and the pickguard is deteriorating. The neck is perfectly straight and has a good angle just like it should. I am thinking of making an offer on it today. It seems to me that the market value for one of these in this condition, in sunburst, should be around $3,000 USD. I would like to get it for a little less so I have room to replace the guard. Does this seem about right? Any input would help.
    Thanks,
    Keith
    Last edited by floatingpickup; 11-21-2016 at 12:50 AM.

User Info Menu

Keith,
    assuming it's a non cut that's about right for a retail price.
    I'd like to see you get it for $2500 though
    script logo or modern?

User Info Menu

I bought a '44 a couple of years ago for less that 2k. Original open tuners, cheezy WWII tailpiece, finish, case, all original. The finish on the neck was worn to the wood, and it needed a neck reset, and frets. No cracks anywhere, but some good dings. So, In excellent shape, maybe, if in need of work and not original parts, no way. Original frets on these are intolerable. Skinny little things. Baseball bat thick neck.

However, it's untouchable as an acoustic archtop. It's the first acoustic one I grab at home, my 'go to' guitar. I've played in a room with '30's L5's, Epiphones, etc., all nice guitars, but this one sings and rings. I'd recommend a vintage L7 to anyone.

If in excellent shape, 3K is not outrageous. But, those frets, mmm., just say'in. How is the bridge height?, truss rod, action. If the bridge is cranked all the way down, that's something to consider. I can't imagine a '40's era Gibson not needing a neck reset. But, it's possible.

Hope it works out, these are pretty seriously awesome archtops. I love mine.

User Info Menu

Yeah, me too. My '44 was also well under 2K from a private party (eBay) and didn't need much work. There's a little belt buckle rash on the back, and a fretboard inlay is in need of replacement. But it's a great player.

That was a few years ago and prices do seem a bit higher now. If it has a cutaway, it's probably worth substantially more than my non-cut.

'40s Gibson L-7-sofal7-jpg

User Info Menu

My lovely..., for comparison.,
    '40s Gibson L-7-l7-jpg

User Info Menu

Sounds like a fine early Christmas present for yourself

I absolutely love my '34 L7.
    If the guitar is great, who cares about saving a couple of $$?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Keith,
    assuming it's a non cut that's about right for a retail price.
    I'd like to see you get it for $2500 though
    script logo or modern?
    Wintermoon:
    I has a Script logo. I think I could get it for $2500.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    I bought a '44 a couple of years ago for less that 2k. Original open tuners, cheezy WWII tailpiece, finish, case, all original. The finish on the neck was worn to the wood, and it needed a neck reset, and frets. No cracks anywhere, but some good dings. So, In excellent shape, maybe, if in need of work and not original parts, no way. Original frets on these are intolerable. Skinny little things. Baseball bat thick neck.

However, it's untouchable as an acoustic archtop. It's the first acoustic one I grab at home, my 'go to' guitar. I've played in a room with '30's L5's, Epiphones, etc., all nice guitars, but this one sings and rings. I'd recommend a vintage L7 to anyone.

If in excellent shape, 3K is not outrageous. But, those frets, mmm., just say'in. How is the bridge height?, truss rod, action. If the bridge is cranked all the way down, that's something to consider. I can't imagine a '40's era Gibson not needing a neck reset. But, it's possible.

Hope it works out, these are pretty seriously awesome archtops. I love mine.
    Skykomishone:
    The neck set is perfect. The bridge is sitting right in the middle, exactly where it should be. The frets look original and still have some life left in them. I didn't try moving the truss rod, but the neck is perfectly straight. Finish looks pretty good. I don't think there are any issues except needing a new pick guard. I can't get it for the price you paid, but maybe $2500 or so.
    Keith

User Info Menu

$3250 for a 1947 L-12. Use this as a benchmark?
    Attached Images Attached Images '40s Gibson L-7-gibson1947l12-1-jpg '40s Gibson L-7-gibson1947l12-6-jpg 

User Info Menu

The seller of my 1948 L7 had it appraised by George Gruhn. According the the Gruhn website the appraisal fee was only $75. George must think highly of original parts and original finish. My guitar had a re-fret, re-finish, endpin jack, and was missing the pickguard and original bridge. He appraised it at 'bargain' level. My gain, the guitar is otherwise fantastic.

Appraisals | Gruhn Guitars
    Attached Images Attached Images '40s Gibson L-7-two-guitars-jpg 
    Last edited by icr; 11-18-2016 at 07:00 PM.

User Info Menu

​You fail to mention if it is an NT or Burst. Its are rarer and fetch more. Can you share some photos - I had a '46 (the year I was born) and it was lovely...
    Good luck !!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I know a guy who has a 1947 L7 that I could buy from him. It needs a good cleaning, but it is all original (except for the case) and in very good condition with no cracks or repairs. It has some normal wear (nothing serious) and the pickguard is deteriorating. The neck is perfectly straight and has a good angle just like it should. I am thinking of making an offer on it today. It seems to me that the market value for one of these in this condition, in sunburst, should be around $3,000 USD. I would like to get it for a little less so I have room to replace the guard. Does this seem about right? Any input would help.
    Thanks,
    Keith
    Well, I bought the L7 today. It needs a good cleaning but I think this is going to be a nice guitar. I'll post pics after I get it cleaned up and restrung. Thanks to everyone for your input.
    Keith

User Info Menu

The one I bought today is sunburst. I'll post pics as soon as I get it cleaned up.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    The one I bought today is sunburst. I'll post pics as soon as I get it cleaned up.
    Keith
    I picked up my 1947 L7 yesterday. I flew from Florida to Canada today and, fortunately, they let me put it in the overhead bin. I spent a couple hours cleaning it up tonight and strung it up a few minutes ago. It sounds great, plays perfectly with a nice low action and no buzzing. Amazing, considering it still has the original frets. I will have to replace the deteriorating pickguard, but that's about it. Thanks for everyone's help making the decision to buy this one. I won't regret it. Attached, are a couple of pictures. I love the script logo.
    Keith
    '40s Gibson L-7-image-jpg'40s Gibson L-7-image-jpg'40s Gibson L-7-image-jpg

User Info Menu

Oh my! This one has a nice aged patina to it with little to no wear. A time capsule guitar.

Congrats! Looks like my 1947 L12!

User Info Menu

Thats a great looking L-7.....you did very well!

I have a fair number of old archtops but my '45 L-7 and '49 L-7c are the ones I'm playing most often.

User Info Menu

Wow great buy, very original condition. Original endpin strap lug, original bridge, original pickguard, etc.
    Those slotted screws on the truss rod cover are the original style. Try not to lose them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by icr
    Wow great buy, very original condition. Original endpin strap lug, original bridge, original pickguard, etc.
    Those slotted screws on the truss rod cover are the original style. Try not to lose them.
    It actually had the wrong endpin in it, but I found one that is about the right age in my parts drawer. I was pleased about the slotted screws you noticed. I took the truss rod cover off to clean it and it almost looks like it was ever even off before. I won't lose those screws. The little marks behind the nut were from an old style leather strap that was still on the guitar. The guy I got the guitar from just bought it from the original owner a few months ago but he wasn't really interested in keeping it, so I was able to pry it away from him. I am pretty excited with this one. I have had lots of guitars over the years, including many Gibsons, a few Epiphones and an original D'Angelico. This one sounds as good as any I have ever owned. It's a keeper. As many people on the forum have said in the past, these L7's offer a lot of bang for the buck.
    Keith

User Info Menu

nice one Keith!
    it's amazing how many L-7's have nicely figured maple under the brown stain, this one no exception.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    nice one Keith!
    it's amazing how many L-7's have nicely figured maple under the brown stain, this one no exception.
    Yeah, it's funny that they used nice flamed maple under the dark brown finish. It would have made a nice sunburst back.
    Keith

User Info Menu

It is a nice one. Very beautiful. L7's are so sweet, especially from that era. Once again, Congrats, and best wishes for some seriously fine playing with her. You're going to fall in love with that guitar. Enjoy.

S

User Info Menu

I bought a reissue Dearmond pickup, a new pickguard to cut out, a Tapastring end pin jack thing, and some knobs and controls with the intention of installing the Dearmond on my L7 one these days, as soon as I find a good luthier to take it on, or steel up my nerves to drill a tiny hole or two (eek!) in the side of the neck to install the mounting rod.

Any plans to go electric with your lovely L7, Keith? (Probably not, or you would have just bought something with a pickup.)

I've had mine for a few years, and now I'm on a quest to sound like Chris Flory on "City Life"!

We'll see about that...

Last edited by Flat; 11-22-2016 at 04:23 AM.

User Info Menu

I believe that Flory attaches his Guitar Mic to the top with that tacky blue stuff used for posters. You can do the same to try yours out! Just connect it to the jack and let it dangle. At least it will let your curiosity be satisfied.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpguitar
    I believe that Flory attaches his Guitar Mic to the top with that tacky blue stuff used for posters. You can do the same to try yours out! Just connect it to the jack and let it dangle. At least it will let your curiosity be satisfied.
    That's wild, rp! So obvious I never even thought about it. Flory's installation does have a casual air about it! I'll have to mess around with that. Thanks!