The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 74
    Thought I'd update this thread with what I ended up buying. First I decided to try the Latcho Drom Djangology. Caravan guitars had one, so I ordered it. Unfortunatley the neck was simply too U or D shaped. Very pronounced shoulders or cheeks on the neck. While I don't mind the feel of these types of necks, they tend to make my thumb go numb, so after serious reflection I returned it.

I thought it was a fine guitar. I'm not experienced with GJ guitars, so I can't comment on how good it was for GJ specifically, But it was well made and setup was excellent. As I understand it, these guitars are imported by Dell Arte and fitted with tuners, bridge and tail piece and setup by them. If it hadn't been for the neck shape, I would have happily kept it.

So I talked with Josh at Caravan Guitars about other options. What I tried next, and have decided to keep, is a Furch, La Gitane D-hole. While this was over 2X the price of the Latcho Drom, it was still not the 4X cost of a Dupont.

These guitars are a bit unique in that they build them with the resonator and give it a very dark vintage tint. I'll post a pic when I can. It also has a satin neck (which feels great) and a French Polish finish on the body.

Spruce top, rosewoods back and sides, and a walnut neck.

The neck, is nice and round, though still quite large at almost 1" thick at the 1st fret.

Again, with my lack of experience with these guitars, I honestly couldn't say if this thing sounds fantastic, or is a dog for GJ purposes. But, in general it sounds good, certainly not like a flattop.

It seems very responsive. Lots of different sounds to be had by varying picking technique.

It's been interesting to note that it sounds better when in front, listening to someone else play it as compared to how it sounds when I play it. Whether that's something about these guitars in general, or due to the resonator, or just this guitar, I have no idea.

FYI, I found that Josh at Caravan Guitars, was as responsive and available as humanly possible. Many phone calls outside business hours. Kept me updated on every step of both purchases and shipping etc. Shipped things as fast as possible and described the guitars accurately. He even pointed out the U-shape of the Latcho Drom neck, but based on other things I had heard, thought I'd give it a try anyway.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your Furch purchase. Can't say I've ever played one however I'm betting it's a outstanding GJG. I hope I didn't steer you wrong with my impressions of the Latcho Drom neck profile. Sounds like Josh got you fixed up-I've dealt with him and was impressed.
    Now, of course-we need photos!!

User Info Menu

Dupont is what Selmer would be if it still exist: the all quality standard. That's why it's so expensive.

I am the happy owner of a GITANE DG-255, made in Japan. It sounds very good, very loud. It has all the stiffness required for the hard/bold gipsy guitar playing, and a nice reponse in tone and in feel.

Super solid. Whereas I look in horror at the bumps and cracks left on my gibson every time it touches something, the gitane stayed pristine clean with the same poor treatment.

I paid it 850 euros 6 years ago. Really worth it.

User Info Menu

Hi folks!

Well, lately I've been listening to lotsa Django, really enjoyable stuff, so I'm thinking I want to try some gypsy jazz! I don't have a gypsy jazz guitar just yet though..

Obviously I wanna practice it unplugged, (in fact I'm going all acoustic now as i haven't touched an electric for quite some time now),
    So.. if, say, you didn't wanna use a gypsy jazz guitar to play gypsy jazz style, then what would you pick instead?
    A steel string acoustic flattop?
    Or a nylon string/classical guitar?
    Which one would do the job better, if you had to choose one of these two, and why?

Thanks a lot for the help!

User Info Menu

What you want is a guitar with a lot of midrange and high end, but not much bass, and obviously as much volume as can be had. After you're played gypsy guitars for a while, dreadnaught's sound really "scooped". Obviously, the best thing is a gypsy guitar, but if you have a good archtop, that can work in smaller ensembles. A Classical can work, but they aren't loud enough in pretty much any size ensemble (outside of maybe a duo.)

If you plug in, many of these distinctions go out the window though.

User Info Menu

There is NOTHING like a gypsy jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    There is NOTHING like a gypsy jazz guitar.
    Thats true! If you want to be really authentic, manouche guitar is the only choice. I would stay away from any flat tops for sure. As been said, classical guitars are never loud enough and dont have the right sound either.

I use an acoustic archtop with Dearmond floater for gypsy jazz gigs. The only thing, its better to use some sort of acoustic amp with it, instead of electric guitar amp. Most of the gigs you have to plug in anyway, no matter what kinda guitar you play. The reason I prefer an archtop is Im not authetic gypsy jazz player. I got the rhythm chops and style, but my solo techique is not quite Django. And i like it this way too. But if you are lookiing for THE gypsy jazz tone, manouche guitars have no alternatives imo.

User Info Menu

A vintage acoustic archtop will do the trick. Django played them as have many of the Euro Gypsies.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by I_88
    So.. if, say, you didn't wanna use a gypsy jazz guitar to play gypsy jazz style, then what would you pick instead?
    A steel string acoustic flattop?
    Or a nylon string/classical guitar?
    Which one would do the job better, if you had to choose one of these two, and why?
    Neither. An acoustic archtop is the next best thing. On the cheap side, a Loar LH-600 is a good choice, especially used. They have some consistency issues, but there's not another fully carved acoustic archtop for that price.

User Info Menu

Do yourself a favor-bite the bullet and go for a Cigano. They can be had for 400 bucks or less all day long and will put you in the GJG world instead of trying to re-invent the wheel. Yes, acoustic archtops will work. But you will be very close to the tone you seek right out of the box with a Cigano.
    Also, check your local CL's ads. A lot of guys try to play GJG and give up-it takes time and dedication. So you might find a Gitane or similar for a fire sale price.

User Info Menu

Appreciate your help guys!

Sure I'll be buying a gypsy jazz guitar soon, just waiting till i get some money together..

In the mean time, i just wanna use either my classical or my flattop to practice the right hand techniques and stuff, so which one should I opt for at the moment in your opinion?

Also, another question, there's some gypsy jazz guitars out there with a D hole, others with an oval hole, searched the forum to see that usually, but not always, a D-hole guitar is preferred for playing rhythm while the longer scaled oval hole one is better for lead work since it sounds punchier ..

Say half my practice is lead and half is rhythm, no preference just yet, and I couldn't swing a D hole guitar with a longer scale,which I read that its the best of both worlds, which one should I buy then, if it has to be one guitar you know?

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

First, build a campfire and then get a couple bottles of Pernod, some Gauloises...just joking.

Either guitar you currently own will be fine for practice, you don't detail what those are. GJG's tend to have wider necks than most flattops, so you might make a easier transition from the classical to the GJG when you purchase one.

Oval hole vs. D hole, short scale vs. long-you'll get many opinions. It's also been said players who are used to archtops find the oval hole GJG's easier to adapt to while flattop players transition to the D hole guitars better. If at all possible audition both and see which one speaks to you. Either style will sound more "gypsy" than a flattop or classical.

You will also be barraged with the Wegan vs._____ pick, Argentine vs _____ strings, etc. choices. My advice is don't get hung up on that minutia just yet, concentrate on the rep and technique first and set aside a lifetime to practice.

For what it's worth I find the D hole style a little more versatile for my needs-but that's just me.
    Attached Images Attached Images Gypsy Jazz Guitar Options?-t2ec16dhjiie9qtylicobrwc5msq-60_57-jpg 

User Info Menu

I played in Gypsy jazz band and found a used petite bouche Gitane in great shape on Craigslist. I used it for quite a while. I never got used to the long scale and it was also a one trick pony, so I sold it.

I can't agree that flattops don't work for GJ. Small body flattops do very well and they are more versatile than the manouche guitars. After hearing Tommy Emmanuel play Gypsy jazz with his old Kalamazoo and Martin, I got a Martin 00-15M and it did a respectable job for GJ. I can also use it for jazz solo or small ensemble work.

Last edited by Chazmo; 10-26-2015 at 07:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Eric Skye also plays gypsy on his 00 Santa Cruz. What makes it work -- beside being really loud -- is that it's more mid-range voiced than any dreadnaught. I tend to find 12-fret guitars to have a more balanced voice all the way around. But to get volume in a flattop that can match even a cheap Cigano you gotta spend some serious bucks most of the time.

A flattop IS far easier to amplify, but you can play more than just swing on a good gypsy guitar.

User Info Menu

i get what you are asking...use the steel string acoustic flattop..if you want to get a little closer sounding/feeling get some gypsy strings..they are silver plated..different from the normal bronze type acoustic strings...little brighter output..is it gonna be great??..eh..but it'll get you going forward until you decide what to do

for info-
    d'addario gypsy strings cheap at amazon...you need ball end!

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EJ83M...1GGAC8MAMNW6ZW

cheers

User Info Menu

If you're going to just stick with a guitar you own now, play the steel string flat top. Don't bother putting gypsy strings on, because it's not going to really work. But also know, that, maybe if you were Tony Emmanuel you can get away with playing gypsy jazz on a flattop, but even then most of us aren't Tony Emmanuel.

Play the flattop for now, and buy a Gitane when you can.

User Info Menu

It's true that no guitar will sound totally authentic a la 1930s Paris/Hot Club except a Selmer-type guitar. But I for one had a hell of a time with the 26+ inch scale on my Gitane for some reason. Also, the fretboard markers are a little different than standard American guitars and that threw me off too. I guess I'm an old dog that tried to learn new tricks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmo
    It's true that no guitar will sound totally authentic a la 1930s Paris/Hot Club except a Selmer-type guitar. But I for one had a hell of a time with the 26+ inch scale on my Gitane for some reason. Also, the fretboard markers are a little different than standard American guitars and that threw me off too. I guess I'm an old dog that tried to learn new tricks.
    A buddy of mine has an ALD with the dot at the 10th fret and it messed with him so much going back and forth with his other guitars that he had the dot moved, both on the side and on the fretboard. Probably the most seemless custom work I've ever seen. You'd never know there used to be a marker on the 10th if you weren't told!

I can move between 24 3/4", 25 1/2" and 26 5/8" with no problems. But I can't jump from a 24" scale to a 26 5/8" without at least 3 songs to adjust, which of course is a terrible thing on the gig, so I don't do it

User Info Menu

Thanks folks!

Tommy Emmanuel makes it work on a flattop, I loved it... but boy is there anything Tommy cant play!

I too prefer short scaled guitars, easier to play, feel better.. except for nylon.. anyone here actually likes to play gypsy jazz lead on a short scale D-hole?

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot everyone for inflaming my gas (hmmm?) for a Macca-style GJ guitar.

to campusfive: because of you I'll re-open my mind to Loars, maybe they're better than the one's I held in the past.

to Chazmo: love the links.

to neatomic: thanks, I didn't know ball-end gypsy strings existed

to I_88:

a) you might enjoy this link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0u...YYhwNY7uaMxAUg

b) if you're going to try gypsy on a classical (nylon string) guitar be aware of
    Thomastik-Infeld KR-116 "Rope Core" strings; expensive, but cheaper than a new guitar
    and they're magnetic so you can use a sound-hole pickup (adjustable pole pieces preferable.)

c) I tried Cigano's $400 large-mouth (shorter scale) starter guitar a few months ago.
    Light as a feather, a good place to begin looking.

d) For a Deluxe version of a boxy, small bodied guitar like Tommy E. was playing, look at
    Collings new "Waterloo" line. Economy priced, for Collings, that is.

User Info Menu

The rhythm player in the band I was in had a Cigano GJ 10. It is considered a student model, but it sure had that sound for le pompe. It is a petite bouche that is inexpensive and quite good for the price.

Tradition has it that D-holes are for rhythm and petite bouche is for lead. Gypsy jazz is steeped in tradition, but if I got another Selmer-style, I would probably try the short-scale D-hole version even though I'm not strictly a rhythm player.

User Info Menu

You can certainly play lead on a short-scale D, but they tend to have really wide, almost classical width necks, and the tone is less complex, i.e. it doesn't cut quite as well as a long scaled guitar. However, I know at least 2 guys who have early model number Gitane D-500's that are as loud as any long scale guitar. I also know several guys who use other brand short scale D guitars for lead playing and they sound great. I really look at it as what sort of tone you're looking for. For myself, I prefer long scale D-hole guitars over all others.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the responses!

Nice channel rabbit, thanks for sharing!

Hey D.G., you said you prefer long scale D-hole guitars over the others.. for playing both lead and rhythm, that is?

Nice to know that some players use short scaled D guitars for lead.. though long scale vs short scale, depends on the player as you said, just wondering, since i'm starting out, which one would generally make a logical choice for both rhythm and lead?

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Does anyone know what kind of guitar Martin Taylor played on the Spirit of Django albums? His tone sounds quite a bit like a Selmer style guitar, but I have never seen a picture of him playing one. On one of the Spirit of Django album covers, he has a Yamaha APX. He seemed to have a Yamaha endorsement at that time, so it might not be an indication of what he played on the recordings. If he did use an APX, it sounded pretty good.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by I_88
    Hey D.G., you said you prefer long scale D-hole guitars over the others.. for playing both lead and rhythm, that is?

Nice to know that some players use short scaled D guitars for lead.. though long scale vs short scale, depends on the player as you said, just wondering, since i'm starting out, which one would generally make a logical choice for both rhythm and lead?

Thanks again!
    Anything will work. Though I'd probably recommend an oval hole guitar as they're easier to stick a pickup on. If you can't handle the longer scale length, you're playing wrong