The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 68

User Info Menu

I would feel bad if someone missed out on any of the great musical ideas put forth by any of the aforementioned artists simply because of a preference in tone. They are obviously as picky about any of their own individual sounds as any of us and need those sounds to express themselves.

Which makes me think it would be interesting if all of our favorite albums were reissued with a straight un colored tone that could then be re-amped and processed to the listeners content. Wonder who will be the first to do that? Maybe a CD that also has GarageBand tracks included, to be messed with and shared.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I preferred Gilad's tone with the HR to the VB. I think a lot of those young lions grew up with the sound of Metheny in their ears; back in his early days- up to say Offramp or thereabouts- I liked his guitar sound but in the past couple of decades I find his use of delay almost confusing to listen to, like I can't tell whether he's in time or not. It sounds blurry or something. Clearly this is not something that bothers most listeners as he's one of the two most popular jazz guitarists on the planet (the other being Benson).

I just got "Nine Stories Wide" by Kreisberg and his tone on that is mostly classic ES-175. Very enjoyable recording. I also liked "One" quite a bit but there are more effects there.

Overall I think the younger players are coming out of the shadow of turning down the tone knob all the way and sounding like farts in a bathtub. I don't know how we got into that- the older masters like Johnny Smith, Tal Farlow, Jimmy Raney, Barney Kessel, etc., had pretty bright and clear tones. Even Hall's tone is a lot brighter than general opinion would seem to describe it. Some of Martino's stuff sounds like it has the treble rolled almost completely off, although since becoming a Benedetto player this seems to be less the case.
    The current generation use of delay is completely different from the Metheny's use. To me it's exactly of of their achievements, finally creating a post-Metheny sound and approach.

User Info Menu

Back to tube screamers for a minute...I like them best with a tube amp...A true "overdrive"--pushes the amp into breakup...

For lower volume dirty tones thru a clean solid state amo, I use a big box RAT. With a little delay and reverb I'm in the ballpark of Rosenwinkel's "remedy" ish sounds.

And just to add, Gilad's tones on "this just in" are excellent imho.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Back to tube screamers for a minute...I like them best with a tube amp...A true "overdrive"--pushes the amp into breakup...

For lower volume dirty tones thru a clean solid state amo, I use a big box RAT. With a little delay and reverb I'm in the ballpark of Rosenwinkel's "remedy" ish sounds.

And just to add, Gilad's tones on "this just in" are excellent imho.
    Agree Jeff, TS with tubes and RAT with ss!

Have you heard his first albuns, "Splitlife" and "Words Unspoken"? Amazing clean sounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    The current generation use of delay is completely different from the Metheny's use. To me it's exactly of of their achievements, finally creating a post-Metheny sound and approach.
    That's a good point. In all instruments there is a tendency for someone to redefine the sound/approach of that instrument and it can be years before the next generation moves out from under that shadow- Bird and Coltrane, Bill Evans, Jaco, Metheny, etc.

User Info Menu

Don't say I'm not kind to strangers. As most know I'm not into pedals but saw GHex posted his pedal board on FB and thought some of you would like to check it out.
    Gilad Hekselman Guitar Gear-giladhekselmanpedals-jpg

User Info Menu

Wow some new stuff in there... thanks!

User Info Menu

Does anyone know what kind of looper he has started using? Just saw Gilad play last night (mind boggling) and noticed he was using a looper live, especially while playing 'Cosmic Patience'.

User Info Menu

There's a youtube video of him using a ditto looper with Ben Wendel, I also saw on his instagram page he's changed the mxr eq out for an empress paraeq.

User Info Menu

the scissors are for Moondance requests

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by orecalimo
    Does anyone know what kind of looper he has started using? Just saw Gilad play last night (mind boggling) and noticed he was using a looper live, especially while playing 'Cosmic Patience'.
    It was the TC Electronic Ditto - the small one-knob version.

Wasn't that Vortex gig something?

I had dinner with Gilad beforehand and he gave me one of his new signature picks to try out:

Gilad Hekselman Guitar Gear-image-jpg

User Info Menu

Just saw Gilad last night at the Blue Whale in LA

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for identifying the TC Ditto nano. I have one now, and it's a lovely compact thing, with one major pain in the arse - deleting loops instantly is impossible. you can stop them with a double tap, but to delete them, you have to hold down (which takes ~1.5 seconds). I wish I had bought the TC ditto mini rather than the nano! One rare example of when I've regretted plagiarizing gHex :P

How is the Hekselman signature pick Dave B?

User Info Menu

Ahh! He replaced the mxr graphic eq with the empress parametric eq. Nice change.

User Info Menu

Does anyone know what pedal is the one on the left? Seems custom made,

User Info Menu

Does anyone know what pedal is the one on the left? Seems custom made,
    It's an Old World Audio 1960 compressor

Gilad Hekselman Guitar Gear-old-world-1960-compressor-jpg

User Info Menu

It's the same compressor pedal Kurt Rosenwinkel was using before the digital transition.

User Info Menu

New to YouTube today:

User Info Menu

It's amazing, just posted it on the modern guitar thread. Looking for an OC-3!

Gilad Hekselman Guitar Gear-boss-oc-3-jpg

User Info Menu

I've been waiting for that video since Ghex announced it on his instagram, can't wait until I get home from teaching guitar to watch it.

User Info Menu

It's amazing, just posted it on the modern guitar thread. Looking for an OC-3!
    Pretty cool stuff. I just bought an OC-3 on Ebay for $76. It beats buying a 7 string.
    I brought the OC-3 on a gig today, but never used it. The bass player glared at it anyway.
    That sound retainer pedal is pretty cool, too. Just another step closer to replacing all piano players, which I did on the gig. No one missed the darn varmint.

User Info Menu

I already have a freezer, it's great, specially for practicing. Also looking for a used OC-3, let's see

Gilad Hekselman Guitar Gear-ehx-freeze-jpg

User Info Menu

Just in from seeing Gilad's trio tonight. A few changes to his board.

Gilad Hekselman Guitar Gear-img_7579-jpg

User Info Menu

Once more, thanks David!

User Info Menu

Omg... somebody build him a proper board! :-)