The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

I keep seeing these threads from guys trying to settle on a pick they like, which is a process I recently went through. I bought a lot of different picks from various sources. Some were hard to find, and in some cases I had to buy a small pack of picks to try one out. I ended up with a pile of different picks, most of which I'll never use.

I've got Gibson, Fender, D'Andrea, Jim Dunlop, Clayton, and some without names.

This got me thinking.

I'd like to start a little pick swap for guys who are searching for the perfect pick. I'd be happy to send all my unused picks to somebody in the U.S. who is going through this process. If you have other picks that aren't in the collection, you can always add them to the collection. The only requirement (it's an honor system thing) is that when you're done you offer the picks to somebody else in a posting here, so more than one person can benefit. That recipient then does the same thing. Just to keep things simple, sender pays shipping.

That's it. First U.S. poster who asks for them gets them. Let me know, and I hope this keeps going.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

That's a cool idea :-)

I too have a pile of picks I'll never use as I settled on Dunlop Jazz III max grip picks. I always wondered why companies like Dunlop don't have a "sampler" pack.

User Info Menu

I wish I can participate but I am in singapore. I have also settled with using Dunlop jazz picks 207.

User Info Menu

great idea - good luck with it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hthiew
    I wish I can participate but I am in singapore. I have also settled with using Dunlop jazz picks 207.
    Moi aussi. And I have a mass of picks I tried on the way (especially since I live nowhere near a instrument store and had to buy all of mine online in batches of at least five).

User Info Menu

An awesome idea! Are you taking up the first collection? Does it mean that the ones that get sent are all personal rejects?

User Info Menu

I have some picks I could donate.
    Recent keeper and favorite is Black Ice Extra Heavy

User Info Menu

I use now 5 different picks..

Different thicknesses and different materials...

In my hands ( I have been playing for many years) I can alter the sound I get by just switching picks..

On produces a nice full soft sound (ala Burrell) one produces a percussive sound to emulate Barney Kessell....

It's just the way I have come to the point I am at now at altering the sound and the sound I want to produce...

time on the instrument...

all should experiment with this technique to some degree...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spiral
    An awesome idea! Are you taking up the first collection? Does it mean that the ones that get sent are all personal rejects?
    If I get any takers I'll even throw in the pick I chose, but I won't say which one. I don't want to prejudice anybody.

User Info Menu

Hey guys, 'sup, Jarred here, been a long time since I been here but I like what you's have done with the site, facebook vibe, glad to see the site is still running.
    Anyway I have always wanted to know, and have looked on the net, What picks does kenny Burrell use?

Or anyone one who can comp with such smooth sound as if using your thumb or so, what do you think's the best pick for that warm smooth comp sound...? I've always used a jazz III which I can make work, or is the sound only because kenny's amplified? Cuz I can seem to get it but I'm not that experienced in live jazz, normally i'm still just playing acousticly and it feels quite sharp for lack of a better word, not warm, but i do see that when amplified, the sound then changes quite alot as opposed to what you getting acousticly, I've always wondered though if kenny's picks are alot less hard than a jazz III cuz I would imagine that from the smooth sound...

I mainly play live with a tele using big stubby, when it's not jazz.

Thank you from South Africa,

Jarred.

User Info Menu

P.S. Sorry forgot to post - please check out my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/jazztimegoal# I post regular songs, and interesting things regarding jazz on there, feel free to do the same, lets make it cool.

Jarred.

User Info Menu

this is a great idea! very cool and helpful for anybody searching for the right feel and tone.

after playing clayton ultem (tear drop and standard in various densities) for years i recently embarked on a pick quest. i have settled on the wegen big city 2.0mm.

i actually donated most of my old picks to a local thrift store...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by J. Murrieta
    this is a great idea! very cool and helpful for anybody searching for the right feel and tone.

after playing clayton ultem (tear drop and standard in various densities) for years i recently embarked on a pick quest. i have settled on the wegen big city 2.0mm.

i actually donated most of my old picks to a local thrift store...
    I like the Wegen Big City and Twin a lot. For a while, I was using the Clayton Ultem Gold small teardrop 1.20 mm most of the time. Then I stumbled upon Traynor Tortex Jazz 1.5 mm at Long & McQuade. I still use other picks (I seem to prefer one pick or another depending on the song!), but they're by far the ones I use the most at the moment.

1. Wegen TF 140 1.4 mm
    2. Wegen Bigcity 1.8 mm
    3. Wegen Twin 3.5 mm
    4. Wegen Fatone 5.0 mm
    5. Blue Chip 40 1.0 mm
    6. Red Bear TT-XH 1.75 mm
    7. Red Bear Style A Heavy 1.5 mm
    8. Golden Gate 1.4 mm
    9. Dawg 1.6 mm
    10. Traynor Tortex Jazz 1.5 mm
    11. Dunlop Big Stubby 2.0 mm
    12. Dunlop Tortex Jazz H1 1.14 mm
    13. Dunlop Gator Grip 1.5 mm
    14. Dunlop Jazz III XL Nylon 1.38 mm
    15. Dunlop Jazz III 1.38 mm
    16. Hand-made rawhide pick
    17. Horn pick
    18. Horn pick
    19. Clayton Ultem Gold small teardrop 1.20 mm
    20. Clayton Ultem Gold large triangle 1.20 mm
    21. Dunlop Felt pick - Standard (harder) 3.2 mm
    22. Dunlop Felt pick - Nick Lucas (softer) 3.2 mm
    23. Dunlop Felt pick - Nick Lucas (worn)
    24. Wedgie rubber pick 5.0 mm (ok on ukulele, not so much on guitar IMHO)
    25. Ebony (sarod pick)

Next time I am at L&McQ, I might look these up.

Dunlop John Petrucci Jazz III Ultex 1.5 (6 Pack) - Long & McQuade Musical Instruments

If you watch Kenny Burrell whenever we see him in the first few minutes, he looks like he's testing a bunch of different pics!

User Info Menu

I would love to get in on this. I have some picks I can give as well!

User Info Menu

Early yesterday somebody claimed the pick collection, which I'll send out on Monday. Maybe Derekdaman can catch the next go-around.

User Info Menu

This is a great idea, but I can't participate: I recently gave away all of the ones I don't use. There's really no "best" pick, of course, but here are the ones I like/use (for now) after trying tons of different picks:

Archtop: BlueChip Jazz60 - 1.5mm
    Tele & Semihollow: Dunlop Utex Jazz III - amber, 1.14mm - but I think they're now making them in 1.38mm, the same as the red nylon version
    Acoustics: Dunlop John Petrucci Ultex Jazz III - black, 1.5mm

Others that I keep around and use occaisionally: Dunlop Ultex Jazz III black 2mm, Wegen Twin white 2.5mm, Wegen Big City Jazz white 1.8mm, Planet Waves Black Ice 1.5mm, ProPlec 1.5mm - the shape with squared off sides and top.

User Info Menu

So Jonathan ....can you now reveal what your choice was?

...or are you the superstitious type....

For my part, I can go round in circles trying to find the ideal tradeoff between
    the ergonomic, tonal [balance between bass and treble], feel on the string and the release.
    etc, etc.....and usually end back where I was to start with.

[Although, "start with" comes with the previous 40 years experience of chopping and changing]

I reckon pick threads tend to not focus on what people are seeking, although I'd be the first to
    concede that dumb good luck can enter into the picture.

Hence the wild goose chases we often go on.
    Can be fun, and not as expensive as buying say 10 guitars to see which one is a keeper.
    ...Let's see I'll have a Benedetto, 59 RI single p/u 175,Sadowsky JH and so on....hmmmm
    .....I think I'll buy a Lotto ticket this week.

But [semi] seriously; re picks:

I'll tell you what's my fave, and why, if you tell us yours.

Deal?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Moonray
    So Jonathan ....can you now reveal what your choice was?

...or are you the superstitious type....

... I'll tell you what's my fave, and why, if you tell us yours.

Deal?

Ha! Who knew withholding such a simple piece of information would prompt such curiosity?

I used Gibson teardrop pickups for 40 years before they discontinued them. After trying a bunch of picks, I decided I still liked the feel of a celluloid pick, and I ended up with a Jim Dunlop genuine celluloid. It's not the teardrop shape I'm used to, but I like the way a celluloid pick gives. I'm still trying to learn to love the shape and size.

User Info Menu

Seems everone has been through the "find the perfect pick" exercise. Some have found it, others will look forever, still others like different picks for different days, or guitars, or styles, or whatnot.

I was one of the lucky ones who found what's perfect for me, and I topped the tank with about 20 of these. They go by the rather clumsy moniker of Dunlop Primetone 5mm large round tip. For me, these are "transparent" in the sense that I forget about the pick when I'm playing - it doesn't ever slip, or snag a string. Dunlop makes primetones in 5 different sizes and shapes, each with 5mm and 3mm thicknesses. They're a bit over $2 apiece, which isn't all that steep compared to many.

User Info Menu

Man after my own heart, yup it's celluloid for me too.

I settled on the Fender 358 heavies.

I've got about a 100 of them....I don't wear them out like I used to
    ....if there's any flailing around to be done, I just use an expendable
    Dunlop nylon c 73, great for rhythm.

...Re "flailing", I'll be putting out a comprehensive [and expensive] DVD
    and book set so you too can flail pick.

Have you adjusted to the larger size Jonathan?
    I'm guessing the Dunlops you are using are 351 shape.

I'd have problems with a regular size pick having used either 358's or Jazz111 shapes for
    30 odd years.....some of them were very odd.....

User Info Menu

Picking the perfect pick is easy... I've done it many times

My fav is also the Jim Dunlop celluloids but I still play many others for tonal variety and durability (I practice mostly with long lasting acetal/Ultem/nylon picks). And still collect picks whenever I visit stores on my travels, recent acquisitions include Moshay, Chicken Picks, Wegans, Pickboy Ultem and Metacarbonate. Lots of fun.

User Info Menu

Jazz IIIs for me.

And remember, if you sneeze while playing, that pick doesn't go into the pick swap pile, deal?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pierre richard
    I use now 5 different picks..

Different thicknesses and different materials...

In my hands ( I have been playing for many years) I can alter the sound I get by just switching picks..

On produces a nice full soft sound (ala Burrell) one produces a percussive sound to emulate Barney Kessell....

It's just the way I have come to the point I am at now at altering the sound and the sound I want to produce...

time on the instrument...

all should experiment with this technique to some degree...
    I think the influence of the pick on the sound is often overlooked! Maybe new guitars and amps are bought and sold again, only to find out all you needed was to change your pick....,

User Info Menu

I use hard wood picks by the way, prefering ebony and rosewood.

User Info Menu

I was on the pick merry-go-round for a while. I stick w/ Stubby 2.0 mm the majority of the time, but I can't beat the Jazz III 1.38 mm for playing up tempo. The petrucci looks interesting.