The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I was wondering if you guys think that archtops with a neck pickup only sound different or better than an archtop with a neck and bridge pickup. Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So many factors. Laminate? Solid? Spruce? Bracing? 15 inch body? 16? 18? Single coil Dog Ear? Ceramic high output? What are you playing it through? Acoustic? Plugged in? String gauge? Semi hollow? Solo? Rhythm section in ensemble situation?
    All things being equal yes. I play a single PU guitar. Today it's a floater. Are there two pickup guitars that sound better than single pickup guitars? Of course. Would I pick an instrument strictly on pickup configuration? Not necessarily. Do I like single pickup guitars? Yes. Are there two pickup guitar players that sound better than me? Tons. Have I ever played two pickup guitars I thought were better than single PU guitars? Yes. Have I ever played a single PU guitar I thought was perfect the way it was. Oh yeah. I've changed my opinions on this over the years too, and sometimes I'd like the acoustic resonance of a single PU guitar but there's a high end response that I'd like to have in the mix that is missing. Sometimes I'll play a double, think "I never use that bridge PU anyway" and it seems a waste. I once asked a teacher what he liked about his guitar, if he liked two pickups, how his guitar was different from an L5. Tal said he loved his guitar, he didn't know what was on it and he only used the neck but he loved it the way it was. He sounded just fine. Another really good guitarist I know played a cheap Hohner, used both pickups and said he didn't really pay much attention to what it sounded like, as long as it travelled easily. Hard question to answer sometimes.
    Yes and No
    How about you? What do you like? It's a very broad question and you'll surely get a broad range of answers from players with very different needs and experiences. What kind of sound do you like? Tell us what you've tried and what you liked about them and we can compare notes!
    David
    Last edited by TH; 07-17-2013 at 01:45 PM.

User Info Menu

I prefer one pickup archtops. The only problems I've ever had with them is that artificial harmonics in the style of Atkins, Breau and Greene tend to be weaker. Even on my two pickup guitars the harmonics are weaker with just the front pup engaged. To be fair though, I've heard Martin Taylor produce very strong harmonic cascades using a single pickup gutar.

User Info Menu

I prefer a built in pickup. I know that it dampens the top but it sounds better to me, and I've owned both types. One of the best sounding guitars I ever heard was a old Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster with three P-90 pickups screwed to the top. By some logic that should not have really sounded so great, but it did.

User Info Menu

Depends on the guitar. A hollowbody archtop, whether laminated or carved, is unlikely to be suitable for a higher-volume band situation, which is where I often find myself using the brighter sounding bridge pickup. In that case, another type of guitar might be appropriate.

I've owned 4 nice archtops: a Sadowsky SS-15 with one built in PU, a Victor Baker w/one floating PU, a ES 175 w/one Charlie Christian, and a '59 ES 175 which was the only one with 2 pickups. I never missed having a bridge pickup on the ones without it, and almost never used it on the one that did. It just seemed like I got everything I wanted from the neck pickup.

By the way, of the four, the SS-15 clearly (to me) has the best amplified tone.

User Info Menu

for me a floating pickup is the one that has the least interference on top vibration, thus maintaining a good acoustic timbre, very peculiar... that needs some more care when amplified.
    Built in pickups (and laminate top) are more suitable (for me) to be amplified. Had a L5 clone (a cheap one, but with solid top) that went to feedback at just 3 of amp volume... then I found a 175 in not-so-bad condition, and I'm happier now.

About 1 or 2 pickups actually I don't know. Some nerdy discussions I read said that even if not used, the 2nd unused pickup (whatever it is: neck for the rockers, bridge for the jazzers) has a magnetic influence anyway on string vibration.. but honestly I never noticed this kind of behavior...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by e_del
    for me a floating pickup is the one that has the least interference on top vibration, thus maintaining a good acoustic timbre, very peculiar... that needs some more care when amplified.
    Built in pickups (and laminate top) are more suitable (for me) to be amplified. Had a L5 clone (a cheap one, but with solid top) that went to feedback at just 3 of amp volume... then I found a 175 in not-so-bad condition, and I'm happier now.

About 1 or 2 pickups actually I don't know. Some nerdy discussions I read said that even if not used, the 2nd unused pickup (whatever it is: neck for the rockers, bridge for the jazzers) has a magnetic influence anyway on string vibration.. but honestly I never noticed this kind of behavior...
    On guitars like the ES-175, I've read that the bridge pickup, even if don't use it, functions as a mass the dampens vibrations in the top. Some folks with one-pickup ES-165s have claimed that here.

I think the magnetic influence would be more pronounced from the neck pickup, hence the Esquire fascination on the Telecaster forum.

User Info Menu

The best guitar I had was a 1982 Norlin Gibson Super 400 CESN, with two HBs. I still have the tone variations it was able to produce in my mind, and never played anything similar. I presently own two gibsons, one L5 Studio (two Hbs) and the other an L5 Studio Custom with floating BJB pickup. But the bridge pickup on the super 400 produced a sound on that archtop that was magic, alone or combined with the neck pickup. At that time my amplifier was a Polytone minbrute II. These days I hear a similar tone from Heritage Super Eagles with two set in HBs.

User Info Menu

For me it has always been about a single pickup at the neck. My first arch top was a 175 with two, and I always wished it had only one as the bridge pickup was just dead weight, never used it. Any rock or pop stuff needs the bridge pickup for screaming, and I wouldn't show up to that gig with an arch top anyway. The guitar has to have the "vibe" you're looking for so your head will be right for what you're trying to do.

User Info Menu

I'm going to leave the circumstances aside and say this. If you have two identical guitars, lets say, two Gibson 175's. Identical in every way, except for the fact that one of them only has a neck pickup, and the other has both a neck and a bridge pickup, the latter will be a little less acoustically responsive. Playing it without plugging it in will produce slightly (barely noticeable) less volume and resonance. However, while plugged in it will create less chance for feedback, and will get a better electric sound, if that's what you're looking for. It will sound like a nice mix of acoustic/electric tone.

Personally, I also like the look of the two pickups, and dislike the look of one pickup, kind of looks like empty space for me. I have a custom made Victor Baker guitar, and although it cost me an extra 100 bucks for the neck pickup, I had him put on the bridge pickup for me just cause I wouldn't be happy with it aesthetically, and when you're paying a good amount of bread for a custom guitar, you do want it to be as aesthetically pleasing as it sounds

User Info Menu

I'm a one pickup guy for the straight ahead jazz sound.

I have a jazzmaster and there is too much clickery switchery flim flam. Funny thing tho' I find the rhythm setting more pleasing than the lead circuit. I have thought of just having the one pickup on it but it would look odd!?! Man, we is full of contradiction ay!

User Info Menu

The extra weight of two pickups can provide balance, so that the guitar is not neck heavy. This can be very noticeable with some guitars if you play in a classical type sitting position or standing using a strap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbow
    I'm a one pickup guy for the straight ahead jazz sound.

I have a jazzmaster and there is too much clickery switchery flim flam. Funny thing tho' I find the rhythm setting more pleasing than the lead circuit. I have thought of just having the one pickup on it but it would look odd!?! Man, we is full of contradiction ay!

But if you're surfin' you're the ginchiest!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    The extra weight of two pickups can provide balance, so that the guitar is not neck heavy. This can be very noticeable with some guitars if you play in a classical type sitting position or standing using a strap.
    I'd rather wait (weight?) and see with said one-pickup guitar. If it really is neck heavy -- and I haven't held an archtop that is -- I'd try attaching some weight to the tailpiece end of my guitar strap. The leverage would be better there anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vanschoyck
    But if you're surfin' you're the ginchiest!
    Man, I'm amped from your awesome retort!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    If it really is neck heavy -- and I haven't held an archtop that is -- I'd try attaching some weight to the tailpiece end of my guitar strap. The leverage would be better there anyway.
    There are plenty of neck heavy archtop guitars, usually they're the lighter smaller bodied single pickup archtops. If you don't play with a classical guitar type playing position, you'll probably never notice if the guitar is neck heavy.

User Info Menu

For quite some time I intentionally avoided dual pup arch tops, for three reasons. The main reason was that I liked the acoustical properties of an arch top with a single neck pup better than those of similar model dual pup variant. Also, I didn't really like the look. The other reason and to a lesser degree than the first and second . . I didn't really understand the need for a bridge pup in the perceived "jazz guitar tone" world . . . since most everything I've ever heard was neck pup only . . and I don't recall ever seeing a credible player with a two pup arch top having the selector switch in any position other than neck pup.

My first GREAT arch top was the 1994 Gibson L5CES that some here have heard me rave about. I just had to have an electric L5. So, I bought it and just tried my best to ignore the fact that it had a bridge pup. Then, I eventually realized that I was passing over some really wonderful arch top guitars just because they had two pups. I discovered Heritage Guitars later in 1994 and had a Golden Eagle made for myself with a single inserted neck pup. (To this day, the '94 L5CES and the '94 Golden Eagle are my favorites) I wanted a Super Eagle desperately . . and couldn't find one with a single mounted neck pup. So, I broke down and bought a brand new one . . . a 2008 model that had been hanging on the wall at Cintioli's Music in Philadelphia for 2 years.

As I started to play the Super Eagle more often, I started to experiment a bit. I found that by mixing just a tad of the bridge pup, with the treble rolled off of it just a bit and boosting the bass on my amp . . . gave me some pretty interesting results.

I eventually did find a Super Eagle with a single mounted neck pup and bought it. However, I've also added two more dual pup Super Eagles to the collection. My preference for an electric arch top is still the single mounted neck pup variant. However, I'll never again look snobbishly away from a dual pup arch top.

User Info Menu

A two pickup archtop also has the problem that there is more potential for rattling and buzzing caused by the bridge pickup. There are two more knobs plus the extra pickup and extra wiring inside. I have had his issue on both my Byrdland and L5. It's pretty annoying because I never use the bridge pickup. I love both guitars but I prefer the look of a single pickup archtop.