The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Should have it in a week or two. They worked from pictures I provided to do a brown shaded top. They actually re-did the shading once when it came out too red. They did this on their own when I mentioned the shading was looking a bit red. Had it as an acoustic. We'll see what tweaking the guitar needs when it gets here. Looking forward to seeing how an 18" bout, deep body (3.5") sounds compared to 17" models.

Last edited by Spook410; 05-24-2013 at 03:34 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Nice!!

User Info Menu

Beautiful! A subtle and beautiful blend on the 'burst... love the detailing on the back of the neck and headstock, too. Yum.
    (My only nitpick is the non-parallel positioning of the pickguard to the strings. Is this just a 'progress' photo, and they simply laid it there for reference?)
    Congratulations. Can't wait to see the finished guitar...

User Info Menu

Yum!

If I ever had them make me a guitar (which I'm thinking more and more might be a viable option for me in the future) this is almost exactly what I'd want...

User Info Menu

very nice!

User Info Menu

Since there's some similarity to Eastmans here, I've been thinking about possibly getting one made to my own specs but modeled after an actual Eastman model with some slight changes. However, I'm not quite sure how to specify, say, the wonderful neck profile that's on my Pisano. (1) Can they duplicate that Pisano shape just by requesting it; and (2) What's the 'general' Yunzhi neck like compared to the 'general' Eastman neck? TIA.

- Their pickguards are typically a bit high and not parallel. Just the way they make them. I bought several extra ebony pickguards ($15 each) to mount different pups. Last one I mounted parallel and a bit lower.

- Neck profile is tricky discussion. I've not seen a standard method for measuring. Maybe a tape measure at the nut, 7th, 12th fret? I would describe their necks as a substantial D profile. They certainly aren't thin. If you measure your Pisano I can measure a couple of Yunzhi's for you.

- These don't have the quality control of an Eastman and the hardware isn't near that class. From what I've seen, the woodworking is though. I can live with fixing some things and the one item that couldn't be fixed (finished over tool mark on the headstock on one guitar) is OK considering.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Should have it in a week or two. They worked from pictures I provided to do a brown shaded top. They actually re-did the shading once when it came out too red. They did this on their own when I mentioned the shading was looking a bit red. Had it as an acoustic. We'll see what tweaking the guitar needs when it gets here. Looking forward to seeing how an 18" bout, deep body (3.5") sounds compared to 17" models.

So you requested they NOT bind the f-holes with their traditional maple treatment but instead chose a plastic binding?

I've been through all 34 pages of guitars on their website multiple times and there's only 4 or 5 archtops that appeal to me. The back of the neck and the base of the headstock in the above photo's is the standard neck and headstock finish for an Eastman 910, their most prized archtop. I wonder if Yunzhi can pull off the traditional Eastman CLASSIC finish with maple binding? I'm almost tempted to order a blonde, my least favorite shade, to avoid being stuck with a shade finish I'm not happy with.

That photo above is an EIGHTEEN INCH??? Doesn't appear wide enough at the lower bout...what am I missing?
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 05-26-2013 at 05:01 PM.

- It's the photograph. It is the standard multi-ply maple binding

- I'm OK with one or two of their standard 'bursts. However, given the choice of anything (within reason) on the planet, I like to pick. I sent them many photographs and they modeled this after a particular one. When I get it, I'll share with you in email what they copied along side what I got. This is the second shaded guitar from them for me. The first came out really well. So far I'm thinking I'm really going to like this one too. We'll have to see when it arrives. I like blond but already have one. Little risk relative to color going that path.

- I would think they could copy an Eastman shading as much as anything else. It is odd how they align with Eastman products and I wonder if they are simply copying or there is something else going on there.

- OK.. you made me actually use a graphics tool to go check. Using a 3.25" across the tailpiece (same as ones I already have), it is 18". I'm thinking it's just proportionally larger all over which makes it look the same as a 17" in the photographs.
    Last edited by Spook410; 05-27-2013 at 01:27 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice guitar! I'm also seriously considering taking the plunge with one of these (Pisano-type with a single set humbucker). Don't mind having to replace pu, pots and wiring, as long as the wood-work is as fine as those pics suggest.

Spook, when you - and other Yunzhi owners - say that the hardware is generally bad on the Yunzhis, does that also include the tailpiece? (I know Eastman owners complained of cracked tailpieces at one point, and just just wondered if that also applied to these babies.) Also, do you happen to know whether there is string-ground on these guitars, or whether that needs to be addressed?

User Info Menu

Nice finish, hopefully mine's not too far off that and I'll be pleased if its that good.

Nils - Sorry for the long winded post. Some others have asked as well so doing a data dump.

The tailpiece isn't particularly fancy but it appears to be sturdy. The early Eastmans were hinged and that's where they failed (I believe that's what I've read anyway). The metal part of these (under the wood) are one piece. It's a big chunk of metal with a piece of wood over it. It is not hinged and I don't think it will break.

As for grounding, one of mine could be better but it isn't bad enough that I've addressed it. Whoever does their electronics can't solder and has no idea which wire goes where (you would think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not). There is enough metal on the tailpiece to provide a good ground but when I get around to taking one apart I expect to discover that not enough of the ground wire is making contact or they relied on a poor connection at the jack itself. Not hard to fix, but add it to the list.

As for the wood working.. I am not an expert but my current 3 seem to be excellent. There are no glue runs on the inside. Everything that should be flush, is. There is an amazing amount of handwork like multiple trim layers in ebony and maple around the f holes that is very well executed.

You are going to find flaws on these guitars. That, I believe, is a given. Examples from three guitars:

One of mine has a tool mark on the headstock that should have been caught. Looks like they started to mill the nut slot in the wrong place and left a very shallow, wobbly cut all the across. Since it's right next to the nut and they finished and polished over it, you tend not to notice it. However, when you do it's a 'what the hell?'

Their finish (nitro) is fine though on one of mine they needed to let it dry longer before they put the bridge on. A minor fix but takes a tech since it's not something I know how to do. Also, if you look closely you can find a flaw or two like the nitro dimpling at the joint where the neck meets the body. You have to get the light angle right to see it. I haven't seen any hazing, crazing, or misses in the nitro and generally the finish looks quite good.

Had to replace the tuners on one. The ebony buttons were not properly made and slipped. May replace some others since I like the smooth feel of nice tuners. These work but are not great.

Had to trim the tuner button on another (corner would hit the headstock)

Truss rod nut needed a proper washer between it and the wood on one. They used some junky piece of angular pot metal that wasn't going to work.

All the electronics (pots, pickups) are 'throw away and start over'.

That's all I can think of right now. Frets, geometry, bridges, et al have been fine.

It is still my earnest belief that these are an amazing bargain to those that can accept the minor flaws and fix the electronics. Some have warned of potential neck instability based on what they have seen and that may happen yet, but so far so good.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info, Spook. That's really helpful. Just seems odd that they are so deficient in the electronics and soldering department - it wouldn't take much for them to up the value of their brand. But there you are. The minor cosmetic flaws I can live with, given the price range...

Got here yesterday. I usually find some initial flaws but so far, nothing on this one. Excuse some of the less than stellar photography.. trying to get the lighting right to convey the shading but some details required a flash. Also, the figuring of the maple looks better than I seem to be able to capture. Knew I should have have gotten that fast 35mm lens.

User Info Menu

Beautimas!

User Info Menu

Isn't she gorgeous! Can't wait to see more pics of that 18" beauty. An all carved archtop at that price!

Are you installing a KA floater?

How is the case?

And what's with Yunzhi and their failure to understand that a pickguard must run parallel with the fretboard? Eastman gets that...someone needs to drop a dime on that.

Congrats!!!!!
    Last edited by 2bornot2bop; 06-03-2013 at 02:28 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice!

User Info Menu

That´s gorgeous! Look forward to your verdict on how its sounds/projects...

User Info Menu

Hey SPOOK,
    Very nice guitar!
    With this beauty, you know that everybody here are expecting some Audio/Video...
    were you familiar with a 18" before? (comfort, sound projection....)

If you had to change those "wilkinson" tuners, what would be the best replacement?
    Planing to order one myself soon (that Melo model without pickup and pickguiard)

Getting feedback here always adds to the experience. Thanks for your comments.

Some initial feedback:

- The case is mediocre at best but it will serve. Thought I was getting their fancy model but apparently we didn't communicate on that. They do make a nice case but I'm guessing that model isn't even available in an 18".

- I'm actually toying with installing either a K&K archtop or definity pickup

- Good luck getting them to understand how to mount a pickguard. I actually did get one that was parallel once. Unfortunately is was almost dead even with the height of the E string rendering the guitar unplayable.

- The Wilkinson tuners are a surprise. There must be different models. These are smooth and solid. Probably won't last like Gotoh's but they work and feel good for now. Will request these on future guitars.

This is my first 18" archtop. I've played a lot of dreads and jumbo flat tops over the years so I expected it to be comfortable and it is. I'm not tall (5'9" on a good day) but I don't even think about it. Possibly it will get in the way more standing.

As for sound, it's somewhere in between a good flat top and the 17" archtops. Of course it's not apples-to-apples running 80/20 acoustic strings and given the larger cavity 18" gives you. It has more overtones and is richer than you expect from an archtop. You can also drive it to noticeably louder volumes than any of my flat tops including a Martin HD28, 17" Kinscherff, or Taylor 415 which are all reasonably loud guitars. Driven hard you get a cutting maple bite. While not a tone I'm fond of you can see why these are the traditional dance band choice. It can get loud enough to be annoying. Still, when you play normally, the guitar has an unusual dynamic range, detailed nuances based on how you play and rich, complex sounds. It works from John Prine to Billie Holiday. No kidding.

And yes, I owe recordings of the last two guitars. I've only been retired a few months. Who has the time?

And on a purely 'how many guitars does one person need' note, I'm thinking I'm going to order exactly the same guitar with a mahogany back if they'll make it.
    Last edited by Spook410; 06-03-2013 at 07:19 PM.

User Info Menu

"Too loud!?" Gotta luv it!

Nice to hear of at least one other on this board getting stung by an EIGHTEEN.

18's rule!!!

User Info Menu

I wonder if anyone of you have some more experiences to share about finishing and colours of the yunzhi archtop. I have tried a custom order Yunzhi archtop, and I agree that the woodwork seem fine, but soldering etc is poor work. So I am considering ordering one myself. But I think the sunburst options seems to be a bit too much red. Have anyone of you experiences with ordering from Yunzhi with a more two-tone finish vintage/antique burst colors as you find on old Gibsons and e.g Eastman AR371? Some of the Eastman have really nice classic finishing, as the 503 and 403 models from Eastman. Do you think that Yunzhi can make more classic burst colors if you send pictures as description?