The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 35 of 35

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pukka-J
    No, I haven't come across that booklet. Is it freely available?
    I do have "Swing and Big Band Guitar" by Charlton Johnson.
    Yeh, I got that one to get me started. Agree your approach to chords as well - "simple and in time" is ten times better than trying to do flash stuff and throwing the rhythm off. And it will be much better appreciated by your bandmates.

I decided very early on not to second-guess myself and instead to be careful -
    1) to play time that fit in well with the drums
    2) not to clash with the harmony
    3) there was no number 3.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I also play in a big band (well it has been for 3 years now or so), I learnt a lot from it!

I am also mic'd at concerts, but when its a rehearsal, only the big band's amp is enough. Its a Line6, I dont know the model, I dont like it much, but im too lazy to bring my own Ibanez Wholetone 80. I use only my Epiphone Broadway Elite, but I was always thinking to bring my Fender Tele there, when we play songs like JAzz Police or Streets of San Francisco or some modern jazz-rocks. To the standard songs, the Epi does the job.

If its about technic, my main problem is that if we play outdoor, I cant hear myself enough, neither the piano. When we play indoor, there goes the other problem: we dont have time to talk with the pianist who is comping under the songs. So we occasionally have second impact to each, what is not good.

At the weekend we playied with a professional jazz pianist, who was guest, and he suggested that when the piano improvises, he should comp for himself, but when a sax or trumpet player plays solo, I should comp. Well, I got to give a speech to our pianist when its our next rehearsal.

hope You also enjoy the big band playing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    Yeh, I got that one to get me started. Agree your approach to chords as well - "simple and in time" is ten times better than trying to do flash stuff and throwing the rhythm off. And it will be much better appreciated by your bandmates.

I decided very early on not to second-guess myself and instead to be careful -
    1) to play time that fit in well with the drums
    2) not to clash with the harmony
    3) there was no number 3.

There is a quote in that book I mentioned that goes something like that too: "There are two rules: 1) play simple chords, 2) swing as hard as you can"

Yesterday there were times where I completely lost track of where I was, so I muted the strings and played four-to-the-bar, like a washboard

User Info Menu

No, I haven't come across that booklet. Is it freely available?
    I do have "Swing and Big Band Guitar" by Charlton Johnson.
    I don't have the one by Charlton Johnson, but I would assume that it says much the same
    as the three references I do have.
    The ones I mentioned are not too likely to still be in print, but it's always possible there is an
    online source. Amazing what one can find on the Internet these days.

Getting lost or losing track of which staff you're on can happen in a flash. The way they do repeats
    and suchlike is something to watch. I always check the tune structure first thing, when the leader
    calls the number.
    In particular, watch the Beguine rhythm pattern. It's a Latin, but you'll strike it one day.
    The rhythm section really has to concentrateon form stability. And the front line has to not be distracted
    by the catchy rhythm.
    First time I practised with a big workshop band, after a few numbers my head was spinning. It's a mind
    thing, getting to encompass all that's happening and keep ears wide open. Having the brain handle
    it all.

I like that comment, "swing as hard as you can". Has to be some energy or intensity. Mere volume
    alone is not the answer. Of course, too much volume is "yuk". So is too much bass tone. Lots of players
    add too much bass. My advice: Don't touch that dial!
    Last edited by MaxT; 05-28-2013 at 10:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Yesterday there were times where I completely lost track of where I was, so I muted the strings and played four-to-the-bar, like a washboard

OHHHHHHHHH YEAH, been there, done that.

but also .

User Info Menu

Eastman makes some good ones

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mangotango
    People often said that they felt the guitar rather than heard it; but they sure as heck noticed when I wasn't there.
    Then you were doing it just right! It’s all about the song, not the players.

User Info Menu

To get good volume w/ lighter strings, I had to thin the top severely & also the bracing.

User Info Menu

Must be the season for necrothreads. The OP hasn’t posted in five years.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Danny W.
    Must be the season for necrothreads. The OP hasn’t posted in five years.

Danny W.
    Same person bumped multiple old threads.