Quote Originally Posted by TexRocker View Post
    Gfs pups
    surf90-neck
    nadhville-bridge
    custom Eddie Cochran inspired pickguard
    bigsby
    roller bridge

Attachment 109331Attachment 109330Attachment 109329Attachment 109328
    That has a serious Gretsch-vibe to it, well done!

The transparent pickguard looks great!

If it was my guitar I would perhaps even put nice Gretsch-like metal dome knobs and a Gretsch space control roller bridge (I put a copy from AliExpress on my Gretsch Streamliner and it looks great and works well. Note: these streamliners also come from an Indonesian factory, just like my AF55 and I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the same factory, the quality is very much alike!)

It’s nice to see that the AF55 can be such a versatile platform for different guitar styles!
    Last edited by Little Jay; 03-04-2024 at 07:06 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks Jay, this forum played a huge role in the success of finishing this twangbox. Thanks to everyone for believing in this low end arch top. For seing it, and having a vision as well. Last, but not least, thank you Jay.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TexRocker View Post
    Thanks Jay, this forum played a huge role in the success of finishing this twangbox. Thanks to everyone for believing in this low end arch top. For seing it, and having a vision as well. Last, but not least, thank you Jay.
    The true purpose of a forum is to inspire and help eachother! So you are more than welcome!

User Info Menu

Hi all! Recently I became the proud owner of an Ibanez AF-55 guitar. First impressions are very good:
    1. This is a comfortable and lightweight guitar. (before that I also had Chinese and Korean archtops, ES-175 copies, they were much heavier and bulkier)
    2. I like the thin matte finish much better than the thick layers of poly on most Chinese and other archtops (for example, on the Ibanez AF 75). And I'm not sure I want to polish it to a high shine in the future.
    3. Good neat assembly overall.
    4. Comfortable neck. True, in my case the frets need grinding, but my guitar is from 2012.
    5. Good acoustic sound. And the sound into amp too, at least for home practice.

I really liked Little Jay's modifications. I also want to install a wooden bridge and change the pickups with chrome cover. But I want to try leaving one neck pickup first. I wanted to ask: if you remove the bridge pickup, is it enough to just cut the wires and insulate the contacts? Or do I need to solder something extra?
    Ibanez AF55-photo1715684640-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kmatuhin View Post
    Hi all! Recently I became the proud owner of an Ibanez AF-55 guitar. First impressions are very good:
    1. This is a comfortable and lightweight guitar. (before that I also had Chinese and Korean archtops, ES-175 copies, they were much heavier and bulkier)
    2. I like the thin matte finish much better than the thick layers of poly on most Chinese and other archtops (for example, on the Ibanez AF 75). And I'm not sure I want to polish it to a high shine in the future.
    3. Good neat assembly overall.
    4. Comfortable neck. True, in my case the frets need grinding, but my guitar is from 2012.
    5. Good acoustic sound. And the sound into amp too, at least for home practice.

I really liked Little Jay's modifications. I also want to install a wooden bridge and change the pickups with chrome cover. But I want to try leaving one neck pickup first. I wanted to ask: if you remove the bridge pickup, is it enough to just cut the wires and insulate the contacts? Or do I need to solder something extra?
    Ibanez AF55-photo1715684640-jpeg
    You have a great guitar. I don't use mine half enough.
    Here is a great video with a 55 which I believe is stock. Good tone and good player.