The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Hi all. I've got a Sadowsky which is great and covers the laminate/set pickup duties. I'd like to add a carved archtop/floater to provide a different experience and 1 3/4'' nut width for solo fingerstyle. Any thoughts? Lets say a budget below $5000. Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'd look at a Heritage Johnny Smith. Here's one from Maple Leaf Music for $3400:

Carved Archtop Recommendations-heritage-02941-f-jpg

User Info Menu

It doesn't have a 1 3/4" neck but I have The Heritage Golden Eagle that II love. The carved top sounds really good acoustically, as well as thru an amp.

If you have a Heritage dealer nearby you should try it out

Eddie

User Info Menu

No clue what the nut width is but love my carved h575

User Info Menu

A used Hofner Chancellor would be nice. Or a used Moffa, if you could find one, bwahahahahaha.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 05-03-2013 at 09:24 PM.

Hi, everyone.
    Here (www.glasbila-erman.com) is possible to find trully hand carved guitars, made of cello wood, natural dryed several years, in small village shop, also custom models avaiable, and not expensive due to -one person company-... Each guitar is made or finished on custom demands, french polish, nitrocellulose , oil finishes, different types of pick ups, bridges, tailpieces,... all with no extra charge. Hide glue is used.
    Guitars ordered and made in this shop are usually used for rythm playing, they are loud, full and responsive. Tone is warm and basses nice round, highs brings guitars voice out from band when playing without amps.
    Max. quantity 10 pieces /year.
    Price range is about 2500 eur, and is not limited in case of high customers demands.
    New in offer (not listed on web site) is besides
    - SSC 17˝ ( single venetian cutaway )
    - DSC 17˝ ( double venetian cutaway )
    - SRC 17˝ ( single rounded cutaway, benedetto model )
    also
    - SRC 18˝ ( single rounded cutaway, based on Newyorker model )
    - NC 17˝ and 18˝ (non cutaway).

Best regards!
    Carved Archtop Recommendations-img_5018-jpgCarved Archtop Recommendations-img_4966-jpgCarved Archtop Recommendations-img_3934-jpgCarved Archtop Recommendations-27052011-010-jpgCarved Archtop Recommendations-img_3993-jpg

User Info Menu

The first thing that comes to mind is Eastman. Personally, I'm a big fan.
    Several models available, the upper-end ones mostly feature floaters, and the nut width is 1 3/4".
    Archtop Guitars

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DC Ron
    I'd look at a Heritage Johnny Smith. Here's one from Maple Leaf Music for $3400:

Carved Archtop Recommendations-heritage-02941-f-jpg

Not bad for a rare late model one off version of the HJS made years after the run was made in the early 90's. I understand that guitar has been PLAYED, and although it reportedly has its share of dings, I dig that custom Amber finish...the only HJS made in that shade, so I understand...it has a bottom line price of $3200...a nice buy! Ron, stop givin' me gas attacks!

If your budget is as high as $5K then maybe a Hofner New President is not what you want. But it's an amazing value, true carved top at $2K (I bought mine about 8 years ago, not sure of today's prices), really nice tone.

P.S. I just picked that user name because that's my main (only) jazz box. I am not affiliated with Hofner.

User Info Menu

Well below your budget, but another vote for Eastman. You can basically have your choice of any model they build. I've got one of their "lower end" AR610CE models, and I just love playing it each day.

User Info Menu

under $5000, i cant think of anything better in the carved acoustic category than an Eastman. Look at the 810 or 805 series. great value and much more lively than most others you'll find up to $5K or so.

Also, around the $5K mark, used, if you find a Palen, i cannot recommend them enough. a big step up from Eastman and comparable to the much more expensive custom instruments ($10K and up)

User Info Menu

Gibson L-4 CES.

Carved Spruce top, carved mahogany back and sides.

Just what you need!

User Info Menu

Victor Baker, man...

My latest guitars, all hand carved personally by me, made in Slovenia, custom made at www.glasbila-erman.comCarved Archtop Recommendations-img_7149-jpgCarved Archtop Recommendations-img_7206-jpg
    Carved Archtop Recommendations-img_7205-jpg

Carved Archtop Recommendations-img_7185-jpg

Carved Archtop Recommendations-img_7183-jpg
    Carved Archtop Recommendations-img_7141-jpgCarved Archtop Recommendations-img_7138-jpg

User Info Menu

Ales, that top one looks amazing. Very Nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by erman archtop guitars
    Hi, everyone.
    Here (www.glasbila-erman.com) is possible to find trully hand carved guitars, made of cello wood, natural dryed several years, in small village shop, also custom models avaiable, and not expensive due to -one person company-... Each guitar is made or finished on custom demands, french polish, nitrocellulose , oil finishes, different types of pick ups, bridges, tailpieces,... all with no extra charge. Hide glue is used.
    Guitars ordered and made in this shop are usually used for rythm playing, they are loud, full and responsive. Tone is warm and basses nice round, highs brings guitars voice out from band when playing without amps.
    Max. quantity 10 pieces /year.
    Price range is about 2500 eur, and is not limited in case of high customers demands.
    New in offer (not listed on web site) is besides
    - SSC 17˝ ( single venetian cutaway )
    - DSC 17˝ ( double venetian cutaway )
    - SRC 17˝ ( single rounded cutaway, benedetto model )
    also
    - SRC 18˝ ( single rounded cutaway, based on Newyorker model )
    - NC 17˝ and 18˝ (non cutaway).

Best regards!...
    You've got some nice-looking stuff. You should get an English translation of your website.

User Info Menu

In the used market you can find quite a few. There's a Victor Baker Bop 17" w/ a built in p/up ala L-5CES at the moment in the for sale section for $2700 that looks and I'm sure sounds great as well. Mark Campellone's instruments are fairly available in the $4-6k range used, I've even seen others like Bill Moll, Dale Unger, Bill Comins occasionally come up for sale in that price range. Below $2k Eastman is a great buy, just make sure you try the one you are buying first.

English version comes soon.
    I already have text translation.

Best regards!
    Erman