The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

What's the word? I've been fighting with strings a lot in acoustics. Did the same with my archtop until I found John Pearse and have finally settled on a 012 set with 014 and 018 on top.

On acoustics I have been back and forth and have used DA's, EBs, Martins and even more exotic stuff like La Bella Golden Alloy and Rotosound SB10. I like these last two but still.. not exactly perfect. I can't explain exactly what I am looking for though. I love Lage Lund's or Jonathan Kreisberg's sound on acoustics.

Anyway I am selling my Ovation but I am finally receiving my Brazlian handmade acoustic guitar back. It's an out of this world guitar with RMC pickups - and because of these pickups I need to sort of make a definite decision on strings - not easy to accomodate them again to other strings.

I was thinking about the DAs EPN21 - the set balance is perfect, I might even try them on my 335.

Anyone has an opinion on this?
    Last edited by jorgemg1984; 04-16-2013 at 07:47 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Bump

User Info Menu

I've tried nickel strings on acoustic guitars in the past and have not cared for them. I'm sure some players like them (Tony Rice is the only person I can think of), but I didn't care for the sound or feel.

User Info Menu

I've tried them as well. They came off not long after.

For my flattop, it's Elixirs.

Thanks guys, I am still sort of clueless. I have not bounded with any of the strings I have tried for
    acoustic guitar - and this includes Elixir. If you go trough the acoustic guitar forums you'll see it's not that rare actually.

Bronze and Phosphor Bronze have an weird brightness when new and then sound incredibly dull as time goes by - and they last much less than pure nickel strings. I also don't like how they feel in the fingers.

User Info Menu

I have been very pleased with TI Plectrums, I encourage you to try them.

Those are Bronze right? If so I don't think it will make a difference honestly. And I still remember when I tried Thomastik flats and hated the sound, feel and price

User Info Menu

Plectrums are an odd beast...they sounded great to me, but I absolutely hated the feel of the wound strings.

User Info Menu

Hi jorgmg1984,

on flattop, I used DR Zebra strings : DR Strings | The Handmade String - Guitar and Bass

User Info Menu

I like the D'Addario EXP (coated)12-53 set. They're long lasting without becoming dull and not overly bright (but that depends on the guitar design/woods as well). I play a spruce topped small bodied Schertler which in theory is brighter than say, a cedar top...

If the issue is feel, that's very personal...but tone wise, if you plug in you'll have a lot of control over unwanted frequencies so brightness can be balanced I suppose. I too would avoid nickel strings though.

Here's a bit more perspective from a rather knowledgeable chap (which I'm sure most have seen before).

Just as automobiles are designed up from a set of tires and wheels, guitars should be designed to maximize the potential of the best available strings.

Almost always, acoustic guitars are fitted with bronze strings, and electric guitars are fitted with nickel strings.

Although it is well known that nickel strings do not flatter acoustic guitars, archtop guitars are usually strung with nickel strings to correctly drive a standard magnetic pickup.

This works well because the nickel wire wrapping on the wound strings is magnetic, meaning that each string is composed of all magnetic material, and so the magnetic mass is nicely proportioned across the set.

Because of this nice magnetic balance, all the pickups designed for electric guitars are voiced for nickel strings. However, using nickel strings on a good acoustic guitar for this benefit is, in my opinion, an unacceptable compromise.

Bronze wound strings have a much better acoustic tone. They sound louder, warmer, more complex, and, well, just better. However since the bronze wrapping has no magnetic properties, the magnetic output of the wound strings is very low in comparison to the plain strings, which are 100% steel, and therefore 100% magnetic. This is why a specially constructed pickup is required to evenly balance the outputs of the strings.

BTW, In my opinion, D'Addario EXP
    Phosphor Bronze strings are unsurpassed.
    I use their .012 - .053 set exclusively.

Ken Parker Archtops Info Pickups

Addendum: The pure nickel set does sound very good on a 335 type guitar in my experience so do try them...
    Last edited by IbanezAS100; 04-16-2013 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks Bhaltazar but those are Phosphor Bronze... I don't need suggestions for that. What I need to know is experience with pure nickel strings on acoustics!!

Quote Originally Posted by IbanezAS100
    I like the D'Addario EXP (coated)12-53 set. They're long lasting without becoming dull and not overly bright (but that depends on the guitar design/woods as well). I play a spruce topped small bodied Schertler which in theory is brighter than say, a cedar top...

If the issue is feel, that's very personal...but tone wise, if you plug in you'll have a lot of control over unwanted frequencies so brightness can be balanced I suppose. I too would avoid nickel strings though.

Here's a bit more perspective from a rather knowledgeable chap (which I'm sure most have seen before).

Just as automobiles are designed up from a set of tires and wheels, guitars should be designed to maximize the potential of the best available strings.

Almost always, acoustic guitars are fitted with bronze strings, and electric guitars are fitted with nickel strings.

Although it is well known that nickel strings do not flatter acoustic guitars, archtop guitars are usually strung with nickel strings to correctly drive a standard magnetic pickup.

This works well because the nickel wire wrapping on the wound strings is magnetic, meaning that each string is composed of all magnetic material, and so the magnetic mass is nicely proportioned across the set.

Because of this nice magnetic balance, all the pickups designed for electric guitars are voiced for nickel strings. However, using nickel strings on a good acoustic guitar for this benefit is, in my opinion, an unacceptable compromise.

Bronze wound strings have a much better acoustic tone. They sound louder, warmer, more complex, and, well, just better. However since the bronze wrapping has no magnetic properties, the magnetic output of the wound strings is very low in comparison to the plain strings, which are 100% steel, and therefore 100% magnetic. This is why a specially constructed pickup is required to evenly balance the outputs of the strings.

BTW, In my opinion, D'Addario EXP
    Phosphor Bronze strings are unsurpassed.
    I use their .012 - .053 set exclusively.

Ken Parker Archtops Info Pickups

Addendum: The pure nickel set does sound very good on a 335 type guitar in my experience so do try them...
    I have tried the EXP and found them OK at best. For that I find the Rotosound SB10 much better.

I respect Ken's opinion of course but Bill Lawrence, pickup expert, says he loves pure nickel strigs for acoustics... I also dislike bronzes in archtops for example, even for acoustic sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I've tried them as well. They came off not long after.

For my flattop, it's Elixirs.
    Jeff what exactly did you not liked? I assume you tried JPs.

User Info Menu

Yeah, the JP's. Low end seemed to suffer most. In a group it wouldn't have mattered, but my flattop is more for home enjoyment...I also found them kinda noisy, but that's more likely because I'm more used to the elixirs.

They're not bad strings though...they sound great on an archtop.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by balthazar
    Hi jorgmg1984,

on flattop, I used DR Zebra strings : DR Strings | The Handmade String - Guitar and Bass
    For a flat top with a Sunrise magnetic pickup in it, I've found these to be the best compromise and they really aren't bad generally. For everything else it's DR Rare 13's though most phosphor bronze strings sound about the same to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Yeah, the JP's. Low end seemed to suffer most. In a group it wouldn't have mattered, but my flattop is more for home enjoyment...I also found them kinda noisy, but that's more likely because I'm more used to the elixirs.

They're not bad strings though...they sound great on an archtop.
    Thanks Jeff. I love them on archtops!!

User Info Menu

I used D'Addario Pure Nickels on my Godin Kingpin and liked their acoustic sound as well as amplified; I have them on my Tele too.

However, when I got a nice old Harmony acoustic archie I put D'Addario bronze flat tops on it. They are quite a bit mellower than regular PB's and minimize finger noise, which is important if you're using a piezo pickup. They sure feel nice on the fingers too...

User Info Menu

I use the John Pearse Nickel strings on my spruce/mahogany Gibson Roy Smeck reissue, but Martin or D'Addario phosphor bronze strings on my Martin D-28 and 00-21 (spruce/rosewood).

I'm not sure why. It might be related to mahogany v rosewood, or maybe the depth of the Smeck body.

Nickel strings remind of the sound of a few nickel coins jangling in my pocket. Not as bright as some other coins, but still a fine, interesting, musical sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I used D'Addario Pure Nickels on my Godin Kingpin and liked their acoustic sound as well as amplified; I have them on my Tele too.

However, when I got a nice old Harmony acoustic archie I put D'Addario bronze flat tops on it. They are quite a bit mellower than regular PB's and minimize finger noise, which is important if you're using a piezo pickup. They sure feel nice on the fingers too...
    I also have a Kingin and I have JPs rounds - not pure nickel but I think they are similar. I love them but flattops are sort of a different beast... That's why I am afraid. I have used DA's bronzes, I prefer the Rotosound ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I use the John Pearse Nickel strings on my spruce/mahogany Gibson Roy Smeck reissue, but Martin or D'Addario phosphor bronze strings on my Martin D-28 and 00-21 (spruce/rosewood).

I'm not sure why. It might be related to mahogany v rosewood, or maybe the depth of the Smeck body.

Nickel strings remind of the sound of a few nickel coins jangling in my pocket. Not as bright as some other coins, but still a fine, interesting, musical sound.
    Thanks Flat, that's encouraging. Let's see what my intuition tells me

Any more opinions? I am ordering the strings tomorrow!!

So... first thoughts (with Daddario EPN21 which I also use on my 335).

Advantages: strings last much longer and maintain the same sound / feel after the first few days (compared to bronzes); much similar feel to my electrics, which I like; no artificial brightness; MUCH better amplified sound than bronzes;

Disadvantages: some loss of liveliness and, specially, the bass is a little anemic unplugged (plugged sounds great).

Let's see how my opinion changes with time but I must say so far I am convinced, just consistency of tone over time would have convinced me probably. But I am not yet on the 100% sure phase

PS - My current conservatory teacher, one of my favorite players, told me he went with electric strings on his acoustic for the exact same reasons I did. This is was very reassuring since I love his tone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Any more opinions? I am ordering the strings tomorrow!!
    hi jorge
    give a try to fender's pure nickel 150 series: they are very cheap a great sounding to me.
    I used them on my gibson 175 for a more acoustic tone and now I have a set of them on my flat top.
    the 12-50 set was fine to me.

User Info Menu

For acoustic bronze strings sound best for me.

I wondered about them but they were so cheap I hesitated... anyway the EPN21 are doing it for me in both my acoustic and my 335 But thanks for the tip!